DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
oktracy
Mouseketeer

Reservation Advice Requested: Help Me Book My Aulani Return

Hello,

I am a new member. Just returned from Aulani and loved it. I would like to return to the resort in the summer of 2014, June preferred, but I am totally confused about how to plan ahead for this reservation. I have read some wonderful responses given to previous posts and I am hoping to get some food for thought on this one.

Here I go....

VGC 160 point contract, August UY

2012 - 0 points
2013 - 101 points
2014 - 160 points

I have a family of 4 and I would need a 1 bedroom. Based on 2013 estimates, I would need b/w 259 to 322 points for a 1 week stay for summer 2014. This is for a 1 bedroom standard, island or pool view room.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to have points transferred into my account to make this reservation happen?

2. Can I borrow from 2015 if needed?

3. At 7 mos, can I make a partial ressie on-line with my points and then call in at 9 am to MS if I obtain transferred points in order to complete reservation (add days). Is this risky? (Different room categories). I do not want to move with the kids.

4. When would be the best time to obtain transferred points if we wanted more points for this reservation?

5. What Months/UY should I avoid? If I wanted to use transferred points for an Aulani summer (June-August) Reservation 2014?

So many details to consider, my head is spinning. Thank you all for your imput.
oktracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
CarolynMink
Mouseketeer

I will leave some of the questions to others that are more versed.

But as to question #2: I also have August UY contracts. Travel in June 2014 will still be in your 2013 UY. (Aug. 2013 you will get your 101 pts. Aug. 2014 you will get your 160 pts.) You will be borrowing from your 2014 UY for the June 2014 trip. You will not be able to borrow from 2015.

If you went in August 2014 that would change everything. You could bank your 2013 points and borrow from 2015. Then you would have them all available for the trip.

I have done August trips just for this reason. I hope this helps
adding pts BLT;10/13 BCV, 6/13 BCV & BLT,1/13 AKV, 6/12 THV & AKV; 2012 added pts BCV x2; BCV 8/11, AKV, DCL & VWL 8/09, AKV & BWV 1/09, OKW,VWL,SSR; 2/08 add pts VWL; SSR 12/06, ASMo; 12/05 *joined DVC - SSR; Dolphin 3/01, FW cabin 5/00, OKW 5/98, Disneyland 6/96,off property WDW '90, '87, & '81
CarolynMink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktracy View Post
Hello,

I am a new member. Just returned from Aulani and loved it. I would like to return to the resort in the summer of 2014, June preferred, but I am totally confused about how to plan ahead for this reservation. I have read some wonderful responses given to previous posts and I am hoping to get some food for thought on this one.

Here I go....

VGC 160 point contract, August UY

2012 - 0 points
2013 - 101 points
2014 - 160 points

I have a family of 4 and I would need a 1 bedroom. Based on 2013 estimates, I would need b/w 259 to 322 points for a 1 week stay for summer 2014. This is for a 1 bedroom standard, island or pool view room.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to have points transferred into my account to make this reservation happen?
As CarolynMink posted, we need to know whether your trip will be before 8/1/2014 or after 8/1/2014. If it is before 2014, you may need additional points since only the 2013 and 2014 points will be available to you. Transferring in additional points from another member is one way to obtain the extra points needed.

Quote:
2. Can I borrow from 2015 if needed?
As CarolynMink posted, depends on when the trip actually takes place.

Quote:
3. At 7 mos, can I make a partial ressie on-line with my points and then call in at 9 am to MS if I obtain transferred points in order to complete reservation (add days). Is this risky? (Different room categories). I do not want to move with the kids.
If you need 24 points or less to complete the reservation, you can buy them from MS for $15 each. No way to do that online, so you have to call. You could reserve what you can online and then call MS to complete the reservation. It is possible that the extra night(s) you want could be gone before 9 am. Only you can decide if you want to take a chance. Borrowed points cannot be returned to their original use year so if you decide not to go or otherwise have to cancel, then the borrowed points would expire at the end of the use year that your trip falls into.

If it were me, I'd probably just wait until 9am and call MS (if going before 8/1/2014) or I'd schedule the trip for after 8/1/2014 so that I could borrow 2015 points for the trip.

You cannot waitlist if you need to buy the $15 points to complete the reservation.

Your best option may be to take the trip after 8/1/2014. If you get another member to transfer you points, you will almost certainly have to call MS to use them anyway. Transferred points do not show up online unless you get a transfer from the same use year and same home resort and even then, it's not a guarantee.

Quote:
4. When would be the best time to obtain transferred points if we wanted more points for this reservation?
The transfer should be made before your 7 month window opens. And you will have to call MS to use them.

Quote:
5. What Months/UY should I avoid? If I wanted to use transferred points for an Aulani summer (June-August) Reservation 2014?
Just make sure the points you get would be valid for the dates of your stay. Remember that transferred points can be banked, but not borrowed. For example, 2014 points from an October use year would not work, but 2013 points from an October use year would.

If use year is confusing you, take a look at this thread:

Understanding Use Year

Quote:
So many details to consider, my head is spinning. Thank you all for your imput.
Good luck!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
oktracy
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much Carolyn and CarolMN. I have read Understanding Use Year several times but still feel like a novice. We bought a loaded resale contract with 2 years of available points when we booked our first reservation. Loved on-line bookng it was so easy. Loved having so many points available too!

Now that I am planning my first trip not having a full complement of points, I did not realize how complicated it can be and how point availability can vary depending on your chosen month of travel.

Knowing what I do now, we will travel after 8/2014 so that I can use banked 2013 points, current UY 2014 points and borrow a few 2015 points (if needed) so that I book on-line at 7 months.

There is a small part of me that is dying to try this transferred point thing. Just want to give it a try but I don't like the idea of not being able to book on-line.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much Carolyn and CarolMN. I have read Understanding Use Year several times but still feel like a novice. We bought a loaded resale contract with 2 years of available points when we booked our first reservation. Loved on-line bookng it was so easy. Loved having so many points available too!

Now that I am planning my first trip not having a full complement of points, I did not realize how complicated it can be and how point availability can vary depending on your chosen month of travel.

Knowing what I do now, we will travel after 8/2014 so that I can use banked 2013 points, current UY 2014 points and borrow a few 2015 points (if needed) so that I book on-line at 7 months.

There is a small part of me that is dying to try this transferred point thing. Just want to give it a try but I don't like the idea of not being able to book on-line.
I have yet to book online and have only called. I love having a 'real' person look at what I need and how to get it. And, so far, the cast members have always made it work out for us. (though I don't expect this to be the case every time; we have had extremely good luck)
Good luck and have fun!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:

I'm all about flexibility and it's great that you are too but I did want to point out that it looks like if you could get the standard view for 254 points then you'd have enough points available to still go at your preferred time in June of 2014. You'll have a total of 261 points available by using your 2013 points and borrowing all of your 2014 points. If that is really when you want to go I'd attempt that and if you can't get the room category required then plan to go in August when more points mean more room category options.

And calling is ok too!

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
oktracy
Mouseketeer

Thank you K3Chantal and Kathy. I appreciate your pep talks. I needed it. Sometimes I get myself so worked up over nothing. Kathy you are so right. I thought through your scenario using banked 2013 points and borrowing all of my 2014 points. I had forgotten about this plan. You are totally right! As I said, my head was spinning. Perhaps I don't need to obtain extra/transferred points at all! What was I thinking! I also like your back up plan of deferring until August if my June plans fall through. Love it!! Thanks again for your advice and encouragement.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: