DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
beansf
Mouseketeer

Questions of a newbie <renting, banking>

DVC Vets:

Newbie here, looking for some advice. Here is my situation:

I just purchased 160 points at AKV. My use year is February. I was given 160 2012 points as a buying incentive. I banked all of the 2012 year points. I have a reservation for March which uses 78 of the banked points. So, I have 82 2012 banked points left.

Next year, I was hoping to go to Maui. From what little I have read, there isnít probably much chance of me being able to use these 82 points towards this trip. Although, I donít know a lot about bookingÖIím not even sure when you could start trying to get reservations at a non-Disney place.

So, if I do decide to go to Maui, I probably wonít get another chance to travel to a Disney property and use DVC points until March 2014 or so.

My questions are: When do I have to use the 2012 points by before they are lost? Is it January 31, 2013? That is my guess.

Would you advise renting them to someone else? If I do, should I start looking into that process now? I am not sure if timing is an issue when you want to rent them out. I would hate to lose this many points, but my understanding is that I canít bank them more than once, right? Does the fact that I have banked them complicate the renting process?

Thanks for any help you can give. I am trying to get my head around the whole process here, but I have a lot to learn!!
beansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Your banked feb 2012 points are now good for stays from Feb 1, 2013 through Jan. 31, 2014. If your HI trip falls in that time period, you can use those points for it.

You can book at your non-home resort 7 months from your stay

The two things are not connected. You just have to have points available during the use year into which your trip falls.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansf View Post
DVC Vets:

Newbie here, looking for some advice. Here is my situation:

I just purchased 160 points at AKV. My use year is February. I was given 160 2012 points as a buying incentive. I banked all of the 2012 year points. I have a reservation for March which uses 78 of the banked points. So, I have 82 2012 banked points left.

Next year, I was hoping to go to Maui. From what little I have read, there isn’t probably much chance of me being able to use these 82 points towards this trip. Although, I don’t know a lot about booking…I’m not even sure when you could start trying to get reservations at a non-Disney place.

So, if I do decide to go to Maui, I probably won’t get another chance to travel to a Disney property and use DVC points until March 2014 or so.

My questions are: When do I have to use the 2012 points by before they are lost? Is it January 31, 2013? That is my guess.

Would you advise renting them to someone else? If I do, should I start looking into that process now? I am not sure if timing is an issue when you want to rent them out. I would hate to lose this many points, but my understanding is that I can’t bank them more than once, right? Does the fact that I have banked them complicate the renting process?

Thanks for any help you can give. I am trying to get my head around the whole process here, but I have a lot to learn!!
You weren't actually given any points as an incentive. You just got the points you were entitled to get. You get your next points in Feb 2013.

Why not just upgrade your March reservation to use more points?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
beansf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You weren't actually given any points as an incentive. You just got the points you were entitled to get. You get your next points in Feb 2013.

Okay, I stand corrected. I told you I was confused.

Actually, I had a really hard time finding any reservation at GCV (where we are staying in March). I don't know if they would even have anything available to upgrade to. Also, it seems wasteful for 2 people to occupy more than a studio to me.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansf
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Actually, I had a really hard time finding any reservation at GCV (where we are staying in March). I don't know if they would even have anything available to upgrade to. Also, it seems wasteful for 2 people to occupy more than a studio to me.
A King bed is worth the extra points.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
A King bed is worth the extra points.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Oh, yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansf

But if you can't use the points and can't rent them out, you will lose them completely. Seems like a perfect reason to use them for a one bedroom if you can get it. Or see about booking one of the DL hotels (but your points become reservation points in that case).

My husband and I have a BLT lake view one bedroom for nine nights in October. We thought our son would be joining us for a few of the nights, but his fall break was cancelled because they got days off for Hurricane Isaac. So it is just the two of us for nine nights in a one bedroom. Pure luxury.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
I would hate to lose this many points, but my understanding is that I canít bank them more than once, right?
right. as stated, they expire on jan 31, 2014 if not used for a stay before that.

Quote:
Would you advise renting them to someone else? If I do, should I start looking into that process now? I am not sure if timing is an issue when you want to rent them out. Does the fact that I have banked them complicate the renting process?
you can try to trade them through RCI for a maui resort (do some homework first to see what the options are and if they are highly rated - since a trade for a 1BR villa would take 160 pts for a week, you'd probably need to use some 2013 pts as well and it's probably not worth it).

you can also rent them, either by doing your homework and searching for information on the DIS and renting them yourself or by contacting david to deal with the renters for you (again, though, it might help to be flexible and be willing to use some 2013 pts if needed for the rental).

i would start the process soon, though, as the pts do have an expiration date and planning in advance will help you secure a reservation (one way or another).

a renter doesn't care if the pts are banked are not. you make a reservation with whatever pts it takes, and then you charge for that reservation. doesn't matter what kind of pts you used to book it (but banked pts cannot be banked again, so if you handle things yourself and the renter backs out, that may limit your options in some cases.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I have to agree with the others--if you are going to have trouble using them and may end up losing them, why not at least put in a wait list for a bigger room?

Not only do I think the King bed is worth it, but that jacuzzi tub, after a long day, is great. This past summer, we used it every night, just to soak our feet!

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

I think one night at the Grand Wailea on Maui would use up those points!

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

My DH and I have stayed in a one bedroom villa. It gives you more room which I find very relaxing while on vacation. The amenities are also better in a one bedroom.

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
JD&LYD
Mouseketeer

Quote:

For over 40 yrswe did the frugal stuff, The Do Drop Inns, No Tell Motels, Motel 6 and super 8's while some are acceptable for short stays, longer trips require some comfort. Now when I climb into the king size bed, soak in the whirlpool tub, steam in the walk in shower and enjoy th roominess of a 1 or 2 bedroom, I have to say "What the H was iI thinking all those years".Use and enjoy it now, for tommorrow....?

Cruises: Magic Eastern 2007, Magic Western 2008, Wonder 4 day Sept. 2008, Magic eastern (St.Croix) 2009.Magic Eastern 2012 Fantasy 2013
Coronado Springs 1999, Riverside 2003,French Quarter 2005, 2007. Saratoga 2008 2009 2011 2012 2013
JD&LYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
beansf
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We are still in major in-house negotiations, but I am leaning towards putting off Hawaii and doing a week at WDW in October 2013. I am going to be sure and decide by November, so as not to limit my options.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: