Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
treehugnmama
I am soo excited i just have a problem with procrastination

can you bring a scooter on airplane

hi I hope someone can help me. We were thinking of buying a scooter while we are in orlando and bringing it home. is there a charge on southwest to bring a scooter? I see on the southwest website they will stow them but it says nothing about a charge. it is the basic travel model.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
chicharitta
Earning My Ears

The best way to be 100% sure about if they charge or not is to call the customer service number. I scoured the website and found nothing myself regarding a charge.

Now for my 2 cents on the subject. Southwest allows each person 2 checked items for free unless everyone in your party is planning on checking 2 bags the scooter can count as 1.
chicharitta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
treehugnmama

i also couldn't fid a charge listed. There are 6 of us going and 6 pieces of luggage. thanks for your 2 cents

has anyone personal experience bringing a scooter on southwest?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Your scooter will travel for free. All medical devices no matter the airline flies for free.

I have flown with my personal scooter for the last 4 years without any incident or cost.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
treehugnmama

Thanks. It will cost us 270 to rent because we are going for so long and he really needs one at home now to so we bought we would buy it down there
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
Your scooter will travel for free. All medical devices no matter the airline flies for free.

I have flown with my personal scooter for the last 4 years without any incident or cost.
Just agreeing with peemag.
Mobility devices always travel free of charge and do not count toward your baggage allowance.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

So far this year I have had three air round trips, including one to Paris, and took my ECV on all three with no charge. Of course the Paris trip was complex, having to clear Customs at both ends and the flight from Paris was on Air France and not a US carrier.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
Quote:

Originally Posted by peemagg

Just agreeing with peemag.
Mobility devices always travel free of charge and do not count toward your baggage allowance.
I usually fly SW as well and they are great! When they accidentally damaged mine, they were awesome about replacing the damaged arm with a brand new one! Great service, didn't fight me at all! My only suggestion would be to stick with a drycell battery, they are much easier for travelling. Wet cell batteries can be complicated for travel because they require special preparation whereas they don't have to do anything to the drycell ones. Good Luck with your purchase!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
pbrim
Mouseketeer

The scooter will fly free. You can ride it right up to the door of the plane, where they gate check it. Then walk on or, if you need it, they have a wheelchair narrow enough to fit in the aisle to get you to your seat. At the end, your scooter will be brought to the plane door for you.

You can put the removable basket and charger in a tote bag and carry it on with you. As long as it contains only stuff for your ECV, or other medicine/medical equipment, that bag is free and does not count against your carry-on baggage allowance.

All of this presumes that you are traveling to a destination in the US. Going outside on a foreign carrier may be different, but here you are protected by the provisions of the ADA.

Allow a little extra time to get through security. You will probably get routed through a special line. They will wipe down your scooter with those explosive-residue detecting wipes. If you can't walk through the metal detector, you will get patted down.

If you have a lay-over they will ask you if you need the scooter in the in-between airport. If you can walk some but not much, you can probably get a ride from one gate to the other in one of those golf-cart things and check the scooter straight through.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: