Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
heathsf
DIS Veteran

First trip to DL - but only ONE day...

Hi Everyone,

I have been to WDW 9 times, but never to Disneyland!

I am hoping to take my first trip on March 21, just for the day. Can anyone give me an idea of what the typical park hours might be like around that time? Am I going to get a good taste in just a day? What should I NOT miss (in terms of both attractions AND food )??

Hopefully I will be able to come back for a longer visit in the future, but in March, 1 day is all I will be able to do...
heathsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathsf View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been to WDW 9 times, but never to Disneyland!

I am hoping to take my first trip on March 21, just for the day. Can anyone give me an idea of what the typical park hours might be like around that time? Am I going to get a good taste in just a day? What should I NOT miss (in terms of both attractions AND food )??

Hopefully I will be able to come back for a longer visit in the future, but in March, 1 day is all I will be able to do...
Here you go...

"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Here you go...

"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124
I was literally just looking at that exact thread! Thank you for posting such detailed information, especially comparing WDW to DL
Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

You can definitely get a good taste in a day, unless it's super crowded. I don't know what the spring break crowd is like that week. I went once in November on a non-busy day with two friends who had never (or not since they were really little) been and we had a blast. (Just Disneyland though, not CA too). We rode everything we wanted and saw a few things and went home satisfied. Don't miss Pirates (which I personally think is better than the WDW version), and the things that are unique to Disneyland (Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, some of the Fantasyland rides). It's fun to look up some of the fun little historical things you can watch for there. My dad would so don't miss "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" (while others refuse to sit through it after the 3rd time), my brother's favorite is Splash Mountain, and my sister-in-law can't live iwthout Indiana Jones. So it's all individual. Look into what -you're- most intersted in. Dining in the park? I really like the Plaza Inn, and the Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou, but we eat at Redd Rockett's more often because the food is good and it's cheaper. Do they have Dole Whips in WDW? If not, check them out. I'm sure you'll get a lot of more helpful (and thorough replies) but that's what popped into my head.

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!

Last edited by Jaina; 09-15-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Remembered something.
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
radiatorspringsracer
Earning My Ears

All the mountains and RSR.
radiatorspringsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

I visited WDW and saw everything I wanted to in MK (which has fewer rides than DL) in 1 day, and then a good taste of Epcot and some of Hollywood Studios together in my other day. So you can have a great time!

Are you just going to Disneyland Park and not DCA, then? If I had JUST one day I'm almost certain I'd choose DCA, but I've also been to Disneyland a bunch of times. You could get a park hopper but there is SO much to do, you could definitely spend a whole day in DL and not see it all, and likely do the same in DCA (though there are more "film" rides over there that you can see in WDW).

In addition to Pirates of the Caribbean, do not miss Space Mountain! (unless you don't like turbulent roller coaster rides in the dark ) Finding Nemo Subs are unique to Disneyland; it's not my favorite, but my friend who's from Florida wants to see them. The Sailing Ship Columbia is unique as well, but it usually only runs when the park is busy, or when the Mark Twain is down. The monorail return trip into Disneyland is really neat, but if park hours are short or lines are long, I wouldn't bother.

If they are offered, our springtime fireworks and Fantasmic! are both excellent and worth seeing, though I think I'd just pick one. If they're running and I just had one day and was from WDW, I'd pick Fantasmic!--I think the fireworks show is more meaningful for Disneyland fans, and it is more likely to be canceled due to wind (which would mean you will have wasted all that time waiting).

"Can't miss" food is subjective, of course. Many would say a Monte Cristo (served at Blue Bayou for lunch or Cafe Orleans for lunch or dinner) can't be missed. The atmosphere in New Orleans Square is great so I'd definitely either eat there or at least get a snack there, if anything appeals to you. I enjoy mint juleps, but they're pricey and a lot of people hate them. (If the hours are short, I hate to spend the time at a sit-down restaurant, but it looks like you'll hopefully have Spring Break hours.)

There's a fried green tomato sandwich just down the road at Hungry Bear Restaurant (counter service) that's unique and good if you like that sort of thing. Redd Rocket's MAY be getting a new menu since it's under refurbishment right now....I haven't heard rumors of a new menu but most restaurants that have been refurbished in Disneyland have come back with changes, so we'll see.

You can see current menus at http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/di...yland-Park.htm

Have a great trip!

Last edited by Eeee-va; 09-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much! These replies have been so helpful I really like hearing what individual people who know DL think!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
buyerbrad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thank you so much! These replies have been so helpful I really like hearing what individual people who know DL think!
We did one day this summer. Got there at park opening and left at 7pm. With park hopping and fastpasses we were able to do the following.

DCA
Radiator Racers
California Screaming
Toy Story
Tower of Terror
Pixar Parade
Aladdin Show
Muppets 3D
Little Mermaid
Soarin

Disneyland
Buzz
Space Mountain
Star Tours
Big Thunder
Casey Jr.
Mr. Toad
Pinocchio
Pooh
Roger Rabbit
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Matterhorn
Snow White
Splash
Soundsational Parade
buyerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can.
I only went for day trips as a kid/teenager and always had a wonderful time. Of course, you can't see everything. Of course, you wish it was longer. It will still be a blast.
I love Pirates (longer and more fun than the WDW version IMO) and BTMRR. They still have the Fantasyland rides for Mr Toad and Snow White which are no longer at MK.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbrad View Post
We did one day this summer. Got there at park opening and left at 7pm. With park hopping and fastpasses we were able to do the following.

DCA
Radiator Racers
California Screaming
Toy Story
Tower of Terror
Pixar Parade
Aladdin Show
Muppets 3D
Little Mermaid
Soarin

Disneyland
Buzz
Space Mountain
Star Tours
Big Thunder
Casey Jr.
Mr. Toad
Pinocchio
Pooh
Roger Rabbit
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Matterhorn
Snow White
Splash
Soundsational Parade
WOW You did a LOT in one day!! How long does it take to walk between parks? Can you theoretically get a FP from one park and then immediately after get a FP from the other park? Did you have to do that to conquer all of these attractions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksGirlz View Post
Yes, you can.
I only went for day trips as a kid/teenager and always had a wonderful time. Of course, you can't see everything. Of course, you wish it was longer. It will still be a blast.
I love Pirates (longer and more fun than the WDW version IMO) and BTMRR. They still have the Fantasyland rides for Mr Toad and Snow White which are no longer at MK.
Pirates & Mr. Toad are definitely on my list!!! I'm so excited! I just feel a little anxious since I only have ONE day and I want it to be great
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
buyerbrad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
WOW You did a LOT in one day!! How long does it take to walk between parks? Can you theoretically get a FP from one park and then immediately after get a FP from the other park? Did you have to do that to conquer all of these attractions?

Pirates & Mr. Toad are definitely on my list!!! I'm so excited! I just feel a little anxious since I only have ONE day and I want it to be great

Its a 30 second walk between the gates, but probably closer to 5-7 minutes to get from a ride in one park to a ride in the other.

Here was what we did in the first hour:
Soarin FP
WOC FP
TSMM
California Screamin FP (disconnected)
TOT FP (got this at 8:40 and Racers FP line was still at Aladdin)
Little Mermaid
Star Tours FP
Space Mountain
Buzz

As you can see, we spent approx. the first 45 minutes in DCA, only rode 2 rides, but collected 4 key fastpasses for later as we wanted to get to Disneyland before the crowds got bigger. This plan really worked well with so many people in the RSR FP and standby line at park opening. Space was still a walk on when we got there and we were able to do most of the slow loaders in FantasyLand too. We did use the single rider line for Racers around 2pm and the exact wait was 22 minutes.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Mary09
Mouseketeer

Was that at the general park entry time or early entry? It looks like a good plan.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
buyerbrad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09 View Post
Was that at the general park entry time or early entry? It looks like a good plan.
There was an early entry at 7, but we were not part of it. We stood at a rope just before Soarin until 8am.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
elaw
DIS Veteran

We did a quick trip yesterday ... Got to DCA at 7:45am just before rope drop. We managed to do RSR, LFT and MJJ in 65 minutes total time ... And then we headed over to TSMM and finished all of the above by 9:30 am. You can really get a lot done if you get there early .... Even without early entry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: