Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #436
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
10/22 right? Any really. 9? 8? Boardwalk area, right?
yep and probably either 8:30 or 9 but I can double check with Mary Ellen (unless she sees this and posts lol!). We'll be up before 8, I'm just not usually hungry quite that early!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #437
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

All caught up!!!

The paddle boats look like fun. What a scenic trip on them!!!

OKW looks lovely. We need to stay there. We scored two nights of our thanksgiving trip at beach club. We have never stayed there so I am looking forward to that. So many DVC resorts to discover!!!

Glad you had fun at DTD. I have never spent that much time there.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #438
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
yep and probably either 8:30 or 9 but I can double check with Mary Ellen (unless she sees this and posts lol!). We'll be up before 8, I'm just not usually hungry quite that early!

We could have coffee too. Where are you staying again? I'm don't eat really early either but I've got my crew to contend with and prefer to be gone while they're entertained/sleeping.

It looks like the RnC meet is a decent possibility too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #439
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Keeping up with the chatter befors going in for job #2 !! Fridays are soooooo long and I have to go in early tomorrow as well BUT I am getting out early Oh yes I am !!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #440
emma212010
DIS Veteran

I'm all caught up!!

I love Paddle Boats! I would love to try them in Disney some day! It seems like such a different part of Disney that very few people ever see! I love the drama that went down within the trip down the river! So typical!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #441
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Wow, I caught up with you! I'm really enjoying your TR, I feel like I'm right along with ya!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #442
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
All caught up!!!

Quote:
The paddle boats look like fun. What a scenic trip on them!!!
It was lovely! I am really glad we did it.

Quote:
OKW looks lovely. We need to stay there. We scored two nights of our thanksgiving trip at beach club. We have never stayed there so I am looking forward to that. So many DVC resorts to discover!!!
I think you've been spoiled between BLT, BWV and now the BC. It might seem far away for you! It was lovely for us, for just that reason since it wasn't a park trip and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It will be hard to stay at some of the others after this though as I know they are all smaller! Evan AKV, as cool as it was (and plenty big), didn't have as functional of a kitchen layout and cozy dining space...to me at least. It was great for a trip where we were actually using that eating and living space

Quote:
Glad you had fun at DTD. I have never spent that much time there.
We really did, and now I can skip it for a bit.

Quote:
We could have coffee too. Where are you staying again? I'm don't eat really early either but I've got my crew to contend with and prefer to be gone while they're entertained/sleeping.
We are at VWL the first part of the trip and then BWV so we are literally right there. Kouzzina does have an amazing breakfast! But I'm totally flexible

Quote:
It looks like the RnC meet is a decent possibility too.
Oh I hope you make that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Keeping up with the chatter befors going in for job #2 !! Fridays are soooooo long and I have to go in early tomorrow as well BUT I am getting out early Oh yes I am !!!!
SOOO long is right! My head is spinning. 6 presentations on wildly different subjects and 4 proposals today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I'm all caught up!!
I need to get over and do the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I love Paddle Boats! I would love to try them in Disney some day! It seems like such a different part of Disney that very few people ever see! I love the drama that went down within the trip down the river! So typical!
It really is a different part and I just loved it. Very TSI ish. It was typical huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Wow, I caught up with you! I'm really enjoying your TR, I feel like I'm right along with ya!
Hi and so happy to have you along for the ride.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #443
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!

Despite a late start, it had been a very full day. Shopping, swimming and pedaling like we'd never pedaled before. Needless to say, we had worked up an appetite!

When we planned our trip, we had planned a couple of dinners to be made in the villa. This was for a few reasons. Cost, obviously, but also convenience and fitting in with the "theme" of our trip. This wasn't a park trip, or at least as far as the kids knew. It was a condo type resort vacation and anywhere else, that would mean the majority of food would be eaten..in the condo. Or in this case, villa. We’d originally booked just one night at OKW, thinking we would get a car in the morning and head to Vero. Changing that by one night, moving that Vero night to OKW and delaying the car by 2 days saved…quite a bit of $$. It did mean however that we’d be dependent on a grocery delivery and so I tried to plan our meals based on a fairly streamlined grocery list. Ideally the food I had delivered to OKW, would be eaten at OKW and not much leftover to take to Vero.

When I originally started my meal planning, it went something like this for the 3 nights I planned to cook. Fajitas, Ribs and Grilled Fish as the main courses. In a cost cutting measure I decided to ask the E's what they’d like. I didn't mention cost cutting but all 3 meals on my list were on the pricier side for ingredients so I figured it couldn't hurt to see if the kids had something else in mind, even if I thought it was lame.

Their list?

Burritos, Grilled Fish and Burgers. Ok, works for me. We still get our Mexican and our meat but their selections cost quite a bit less, were faster to make and as a result, a win win. I had decided that doing burritos at OKW made the most sense in terms of grocery ordering. The rest I'd be getting at Vero. Arriving back at the villa I got busy cooking and shortly, we were seated and eating our very first dinner "home".

On the bus ride back to the villa we’d discussed our options for the evening.

On the table were the following:
  1. Watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly. That had actually been the plan for the first night but we were too tired and opening ceremonies had been calling our name.
  2. Head over to POR and check out Yee Haw Bob. The E's were LOVING that idea
  3. Watch the Olympics. Kendall was all over that…she was wanting to see Michael Phelps again, bad! He’d barely qualified for the 400 and she wanted to see him swim.
  4. Homework. Ok, that wasn't on Kendall’s list of fun things to do at all. But she had quite a bit to do.
Jeff weighted in pretty hard on this one. He'd stay at the villa with K, she would get some reading done, a geometry unit..and watch some swimming. The boys and I would head to….Yee Haw Bob!

Now I have no idea why, but I didn’t take a single picture of our dinner in the villa! Nothing fancy, turkey "buracos" as the boys like to call it. Which to them is a cross between a soft taco, and a burrito. It hit the spot and it was nice to just cook a quick meal, sit down, relax and eat as a family and have the luxury of splitting up after. Dinner finished, the dishes done we decided to head out. As you might imagine, we'd gotten back from our paddleboat adventure by 7:30 but then had swam, eaten marshmallows, bought a drink we couldn’t take on the bus, gone back to the villa, cooked dinner and eaten. Suffice to say it wasn't exactly early. Though to us…it still was. Especially when you think of how late the kids had gotten up (in FL time) and our day had started. We felt pretty fresh and up for it. Fresh being relative mind you as we were going straight from pool, to dinner to POR but good enough I guess. Not exactly time to shower and dress up. LOL! Bob plays from 8:30-11:45. Pretty late! So even though we weren’t leaving the villa till 9:45 or so, I figured we'd get about an hour of show in and that would be good and still worth making the effort to get over there. It was pretty funny how excited the E's were. They really didn’t know what Yee Haw Bob did. They just liked his name. And they liked knowing that James (Glennbo’s son) who was their age, enjoyed the show. As did his sisters, who were Kendall's age. Yep, I shamelessly use my DIS friend’s kids to tell my kids how much they might like something. And ever since the Hoop De Doo Review…they've bought it, hook line and sinker! Thankfully they actually have liked whatever it was, every time, so I’ve never been proven wrong.

More supreme awesomeness I guess.

I'd done a little bit of research on this one to try and figure out the best way to to get to POR from OKW. I'd figured out my options were:
  1. Cab
  2. Boat to DTD, Boat to POR
  3. Bus to Epcot, Bus to POR
It had been suggested that the last option, would be best. Or at least best, for free. So that was the plan. We headed out, and waited for the bus. Relatively quickly, one showed up! We got on.

And were asked where we were going. Well, Epcot of course, it was an Epcot bus.

"Epcot is closed, this is my last run."

Oh.

Gee, that little detail hadn't occurred to me. I was operating under the impression that buses ran for 3 hours after park closing (think it’s actually only 1 hour but I’ve had a 3 hour thing stuck in my head for several years for some reason).

Well…ok. I guess we will just ride to Hospitality House and I will figure it out. I’m thinking it's cab time.

"Where are you going?"

Port Orleans Riverside

"Ok"

He makes his rounds and pulls up at HH. We start to get out.

"Hold on"

"I'm calling to see if I can run you over there"

"I'm done for the night, it should be ok"

And it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk about pixie dust!

With the most magical bus driver ever, who would NOT take a tip, we were at POR in nothing flat and seated by about 10:15. Though I stayed at POR for one night on my girls trip in 2011, I'd never been into the River Roost Lounge, or for that matter to any of the other dining options there. It is darn cute in there!

So…sit back, and enjoy the show! Disclaimers up front. I used both my regular camera, and my phone. VERY hard to get decent shots in there so you'll have to have a little commentary to explain the..blurs.

For those who have no idea who this yahoo is, I mean Yee
Haw…YEEEHAAAWWW..a little bit about Bob.

Bob combines his great boogie woogie piano skills with comedy and singalong to create a unique audience interactive experience.

Bob was at the piano when we arrived.

I have no idea but it appeared we arrived not long into the 2nd set and were quickly brought "in" to the show.

Evan wasn't quite sure what was going on

Eric was entertaining himself

Which was a pathetic attempt to get pressed pennies to stick in his eyes.

Funny part is I can't recall when he made them and didn't think he had two by that point but must have done one at DTD and one at OKW? I should go look.

Ooh! Evan's getting intrigued and answering to something.

Now we'd discussed dessert at the show. However the River Roost didn't have a dessert menu (big miss on their part if you ask me for the show goers) so milkshakes had to do.

They look miserable don't they?

For me? Well I went this route. Since I'd had to share my margarita with Jeff so we could get on the bus, I figured I'd earned it. Liquid dessert.

Bob, Bob gets you moving.

It was time to

Bring Back Bonnie

My video timing (and recall of how to work video on my devices) was pathetic at best. The video I thought I took, which was a riot, was to Riders on the Storm. Evan raced around that room like no ones business, riding away, perfect posture. Eric skipped and I about snorted my drink I was laughing so hard.

But no, I think I forgot to hit record and instead got this

And then got blurry pictures of the next one

And I took this video, which clearly was the tail end of that.

Not sure what he was doing to this poor guy

But he made us all choke on our drinks with this one

And apparently run around some more

As the show drew to a close, Bob invites folks up for photo signing and picture taking. Evan, despite his enthusiastic crowd participation, wanted nothing to do with it and turned back into Joe Cool. Eric on the other hand, wanted to do it

And we got a picture with our camera. Or in this case, the phone. As you can see the pool to villa, cook dinner, rush to POR = hat time for me. LOL!

I completely missed going on to his website to look for the picture they took (think we were still on vacation lol), oh well. We'll always have this one though!

With that, it was time to go home. A quick cab ride and we were at the villa. Jeff and Kendall were still up and we commiserated about the Phelps 4th place (I’d been getting texts during the show and texting pictures back lol). It had been productive for them to stay back, K had gotten a couple of chapters read and a full unit in Geometry which she'd ended up needing quite a bit of help from Jeff on anyway. We got beds out, made, everyone settled and all headed into bed at about midnight. A late night but a great one!

Except for one thing that we noticed as we settled into bed, in our now quiet and dark villa......

We were next to the quiet pool. It was after midnight.....

It was NOT quiet.

At all.

I didn't know what the hours were for the quiet pool were but we were both positive it didn't go until midnight, nor was unlimited. I was also pretty sure that unless I called, it wouldn't quiet down on its own until folks left. Do I call? Do I wait it out? Do I yell from the verandah?

I'm not big on confrontation with strangers who are also on vacation. And while loud to us, probably didn't seem so to them and it wasn't like some wild crazy party. We chose to wait it out with the agreement that if it went on too long…we’d call. And while it did go on longer than we’d like, and apparently didn’t seem to keep the kids awake, it did stop and we did sleep. Well and deeply, those beds are comfy!!!

Up next
Dancing in the Hemisphere

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-21-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #444
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I am VERY late joining in, Cynthia, but you started your trip report on the first day of my vacation.
We have been back for a week, but getting back to the real world and WORK after 4 weeks of Florida fun was NO fun what so ever.

Okay, going back 30 pages to catch up here.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #445
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Great Yeehaw Bob update! It is one of the things that I forget that they are there. Need to keep it in mind for the next trip!!

I think it is funny how your time difference makes late nights good for you. For me it is just the other way around. Since 6am is 12pm for me, rope drop is no problem. But staying up after 10pm, that's another story...

I do find the cooking at the villa interesting, something I might want to do as well if I ever have a one-bedroom. I just wonder how you do it as there are none of the basics like oil, salt, pepper etc.? Do you bring those from home or did you get them with your grocery order?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #446
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Yay, I'm so glad you got to see Bob! And you took my, and my kids' advice...that's great that it helped convince the E's to go. I hope they liked it. I looked through the pictures first (on my phone) and was a little worried when I didn't see Evan in your picture with Bob. Hopefully it's just the Joe Cool factor, like you said.

Did Bob stop the show to ask you where you were from?

I was just thinking, I don't know that I have pictures of our in-villa meals either. Doh!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #447
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

All caught up, Cynthia! I cannot believe I made it through 30 pages, but I DID!!!!!

Your vacation sounds FUN so far. Glad you liked Olivia's, we LOVE it there and went twice this vacation.
AND I am so happy you got your dual bathroom entrance! We did too and I only requested it when doing online check in.

I cannot wait to read more and since I am about to start MY trip report, I'll give you a shout once it's up!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #448
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I have yet to get over to see "Bob" I think I am adding it to the Grannie Trip list!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #449
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Your story about the bus driver taking you to POR reminded me of one time when there was along line for the bus at EPCOT I decided to take the monorail to the TTC only to find that the MK was closed so I walked over to the poly to get a bust to DTD. Well waiting for it there were some buses parked in front to take people back to trier resorts from the luau, which got canceled for the night. One of the bus drivers who had asked us were we were heading (myself and another couple) where we were heading earlier approached us and asked if we wanted a lift to our resorts me to PORFQ and them to OKW I think.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #450
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Great pixie dust with your bus ride.

We stayed at POR in Feb and didn't get to catch the show. I'm so disappointed, I really want to see this some day. I'm so glad the E's enjoyed it.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort