Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #256
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile - THE GREAT NYC SODA DEBATe -

I did a lot of walking while up in the Big Apple last week.
(first time visitor)

The
Big difference between WDW/DL, etc vs NYC vacations??

IMO,
the former you are on your feet a lot while on vacation.

The later you are WALKING a lot while on vacation.

The
end result = I didn't miss sodas one bit while up in NYC.
Besides, I was having too much fun.

So much to do & so much to see.

Yes, I think we can all learn a lot by this mandate.

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040

Last edited by knewton64; 09-15-2012 at 06:32 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #257
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
Yes, I am in full agreement with you that what the rioting hooligans are doing in Tripoli is completely innapropriate.
That wasn't what I was referring to and you know it.

That picture has nothing to do with the topic and is irrelevant to the discussion. Just another blatant way for you to interject your political view.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #258
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

I'm not much of a sugary drink drinker, and overall believe it a good idea if we where all to drink less soda. Diabetes is a growing health risk in our nation. Diabetes is a major fuel in our rising health care costs. Drinking sugar pop probably contributes to this growing health problem. And true, the new mandate from the NY mayor does help bring awareness that soda drinking isn't healthy.

But the problems I have with government health mandates such as this, is there are other health measures taken by the mayor that I disagree with. Mayor Bloomberg also has taken stands against eating fat, and salt. That means I have less ability to pick and choose what is healthy and what is not. If I went to a NY restaurant and said along the lines of this, the restaurant owner would laugh - no problem with only being able to order 16oz of soda. I don't drink soda anyway, and believe others should drink less. I do not believe fat or salt is a health risk though. I believe that law unjust, so tell the chef ignore the NY health law on salt and fat and instead add extra helpings of butter and coconut oil, along with sprinkling extra salt so the meal tastes good, please.

This fight between government mandates and wanting government to be less intrusive in our lives is an old one. In the west it largely began in the late 19th century when we began moving from rural farm lands to work in city factories. As automation/ tractors made less farm workers necessary, large numbers of uneducated Americans moved to cities looking for jobs. As a result government found a need to teach the former farmer how to do basic urban tasks, educate them in schools, teach them sanitary measures, etc. A large number of college educated experts where created by the government to teach the new city residence.

Over 100 years later, most Americans are well educated. Many of us are even college graduates. Additionally, wonderfully we have access to more competing information than ever before due to the internet. There are many experts out there, all with different ideas of what is good and what is not for our health and other areas of our lives. As a result of all this educating of the masses and information access most Americans do not need the high level of government mandates telling us what to do.

Mandates such as this from the NY mayor are dated, and less needed in todays modern world. It wouldn't surprise me if little comes from this. Oh, there probably will be a mention of two or how the new health mandates against fat, salt and now sugary pop help improve New Yorkers health. Sadly, statistics can be manipulated to support one experts opinion or another. It's becoming difficult to know who to believe.

I thought this a nice article on science in the west. All to often information is manipulated, experts even lie.

"Unsettling Science"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...redit-science/

& there are even studies showing less salt consumption is linked to higher diabetes death rates.

"Greater Risk of Death in Diabetics with Lower Salt Intake"

http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com...r-salt-intake/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #259
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilberry View Post
I'm not much of a sugary drink drinker, and overall believe it a good idea if we where all to drink less soda. Diabetes is a growing health risk in our nation. Diabetes is a major fuel in our rising health care costs. Drinking sugar pop probably contributes to this growing health problem. And true, the new mandate from the NY mayor does help bring awareness that soda drinking isn't healthy.

But the problems I have with government health mandates such as this, is there are other health measures taken by the mayor that I disagree with. Mayor Bloomberg also has taken stands against eating fat, and salt. That means I have less ability to pick and choose what is healthy and what is not. If I went to a NY restaurant and said along the lines of this, the restaurant owner would laugh - no problem with only being able to order 16oz of soda. I don't drink soda anyway, and believe others should drink less. I do not believe fat or salt is a health risk though. I believe that law unjust, so tell the chef ignore the NY health law on salt and fat and instead add extra helpings of butter and coconut oil, along with sprinkling extra salt so the meal tastes good, please.

This fight between government mandates and wanting government to be less intrusive in our lives is an old one. In the west it largely began in the late 19th century when we began moving from rural farm lands to work in city factories. As automation/ tractors made less farm workers necessary, large numbers of uneducated Americans moved to cities looking for jobs. As a result government found a need to teach the former farmer how to do basic urban tasks, educate them in schools, teach them sanitary measures, etc. A large number of college educated experts where created by the government to teach the new city residence.

Over 100 years later, most Americans are well educated. Many of us are even college graduates. Additionally, wonderfully we have access to more competing information than ever before due to the internet. There are many experts out there, all with different ideas of what is good and what is not for our health and other areas of our lives. As a result of all this educating of the masses and information access most Americans do not need the high level of government mandates telling us what to do.

Mandates such as this from the NY mayor are dated, and less needed in todays modern world. It wouldn't surprise me if little comes from this. Oh, there probably will be a mention of two or how the new health mandates against fat, salt and now sugary pop help improve New Yorkers health. Sadly, statistics can be manipulated to support one experts opinion or another. It's becoming difficult to know who to believe.
There is no law regarding salt and fat.

There's a law banning the use of trans fats, yes, but there's nothing at all addressing the use of fat or salt in a general sense in cooking.

Also, Americans are, frankly, as a group, the opposite of well-educated. We're undereducated, ignorant, and in desperate need of information. We rank shamefully low in nearly all measures of education, general and specific knowledge, testing, etc., compared to other nations around the globe. A majority of Americans polled can't name their own senators; nearly half can't name the Vice President, a good percentage of high schoolers think Germany was our ally in WWII.

Even if this weren't the case, the growing obesity problem shows that Americans don't have a handle on this type of knowledge or how to use it even if they did.

Last edited by cornflake; 09-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #260
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post

But when was the last time anyone got 16 ounces of drink in a sixteen ounce cup? Unless one typically drinks their sugary drinks warm, there's maybe twelve ounces of beverage in that sixteen ounce cup.
If the guy behind the counter is serving it, there's probably 12 ounces of ice & 4 ounces of soda
Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #261
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
It's your business when that person becomes diabetic and has high blood pressure, h eart disease and cannot pay for his treatment. What do you think happens? They don't magically go away. CDC is estimating that the cost of obesity in this country will probably top $147 BILLION with a b very soon.

Who do you think will pay for it? Not the soft drink companies.

I'm in no way saying that this is a good idea or that it will go through, I do want us to stop thinking that what happens to one large % of our population does not have a direct, costly effect on the rest of us.

The days of "it doesn't effect me" are long gone.
problem is those fast food places, and the crap they all sell is loaded with sugar and fat. and the kicker its CHEAP.... the healthy stuff like fruits and veggies are expensive.
If they could only reverse that you would probably see more people choosing not to eat and drink the unhealthy stuff.

I don't like what he is doing either, basically saying (your all stupid so i'm going to chose for you) I think it will fail, but honestly this law won't effect me or my family, but i can't wait to see what other dictor moves follow that Will effect those that are capable of making smarter choices for themselves.

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
blueiis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #262
Carl
DIS Veteran

In most restaurants down south the size of the cup is of no importance, because you can get unlimited refills.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #263
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
In most restaurants down south the size of the cup is of no importance, because you can get unlimited refills.
Shhhh.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #264
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
There is no law regarding salt and fat.

There's a law banning the use of trans fats, yes, but there's nothing at all addressing the use of fat or salt in a general sense in cooking.

Also, Americans are, frankly, as a group, the opposite of well-educated. We're undereducated, ignorant, and in desperate need of information. We rank shamefully low in nearly all measures of education, general and specific knowledge, testing, etc., compared to other nations around the globe. A majority of Americans polled can't name their own senators; nearly half can't name the Vice President, a good percentage of high schoolers think Germany was our ally in WWII.

Even if this weren't the case, the growing obesity problem shows that Americans don't have a handle on this type of knowledge or how to use it even if they did.
Oh, you are right. I thought it was a law with limiting sodium and fat consumption in NY. I see the mayors program of limiting of salt and fat is voluntary, which is good. Some restaurants follow the program, and others take a pass.

I agree from the stand point that our education system in modern America is a mess. It is good to see that more and more parents are looking at other education options, hoping for better results for their kids.

"Americans Flee Public Schools"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...ublic-schools/

I think a problem we have had with our nutrition advice for weight loss isn't that it comes from a lack of knowledge or trying. Americans spend billions a year on diets and gym memberships, wanting to be thinner. The simple advice to loose weight often handed out is that one needs to exercise more and eat less - and if one does not see weight loss doing this, then you are not trying hard enough. As we are finding, for many of us there is often more to weight loss than simply calories in/ calories out.

The other idea often mentioned for weight loss is lap band surgery. People give up on the diet advice they are often given. Weight loss surgery a growing field. Thought this a nice article from a bariatric's physician about lap band operations, and weight loss. He used to believe that a patient's failure to loose weight was due to eating to much, and not exercising enough. Now, from what he has seen he no longer believes that.

"Bariatric Whistleblower: Fake Nails and Lap-Band"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...-and-lap-band/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #265
billdob62
Mouseketeer

So, are the convenience stores going to quit selling anything in cups larger then 16 oz?

I can just see this ....you are walking down the street and you hear....psssss...want to buy some cups....got 32, 48, 52, or ...if you have enough money....the one and only...64 oz.

The America I grew up in is nothing but a distance memory. This modern America sucks, and it is only getting worse every day.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #266
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Except for how I'm not. The stories you linked cite THE SAME NYU STUDY.
One wonders what the SAT scores for certain people were in the reading comprehension section. For the studies I cited the poster above erroneously calls one were different; one involved just NYU, the other was a consortium project involving mutiple universities including NYU.

Quote:
First, that's not what a halo effect is.
In one post, you state that 42% of a study sample said they didn't pay attention to the food nanny postings but ate less anyway. Pray tell , if they didn't pay attention, but ate fewer calories (which you attributed to the mere existence of the calorie postings), that is exactly what a halo effect is.

Quote:
Yes, the one study you showed showed a different outcome - that's why I posted the other.
You seem to think this is some sort of contest, with the winner being the one who posts the most studies supporting their viewpoint. That is both simplistic and sad, given the point I made at the end of my prior post - and which notably is a sentiment you apparently couldn't even try to rebut.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #267
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Just another blatant way for you to interject your political view.
The only political viewpoint being interjected here is yours, for apparently the mere presentation of what certain rioting hooligans are doing bothers you.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #268
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdob62 View Post
So, are the convenience stores going to quit selling anything in cups larger then 16 oz?

I can just see this ....you are walking down the street and you hear....psssss...want to buy some cups....got 32, 48, 52, or ...if you have enough money....the one and only...64 oz.

The America I grew up in is nothing but a distance memory. This modern America sucks, and it is only getting worse every day.
My mom is 82 and she could say the same thing. She didn't grow up in a time when there was anything called a Big Gulp, fast food restaurants weren't on every corner, portion sizes weren't as big as her head, and there weren't oodles of convenience food occupying the aisles of the grocery stores. Times change. I think they are suppose to.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #269
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdob62 View Post

I agree. This isn't a generational change. Incrementally we are losing freedoms. That is worlds away from generational change. Sad.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #270
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I agree. This isn't a generational change. Incrementally we are losing freedoms. That is worlds away from generational change. Sad.
I guess it is all in how you view it. I feel perfectly free. I don't feel even remotely infringed upon. I am not at all worried about losing my freedom and I have yet to see any evidence of that. I will agree with your "sad" part but for obviously very different reasons.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: