Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I'll go solo if I have to and love it!

I just found out a group I belong to will be having a convention at Buena Vista Palace next summer. My husband is not sure he wants to go, but I am totally up for a solo trip if necessary.

My last trip to WDW several years ago coincided with a convention my husband attended at the Contemporary. Even though he got sick in the middle of the trip, I had a great time. I didn't do every single thing I wanted to do, however, because I took care of him when he was feverish and I was always back at the Contemporary for his lunch breaks.

I've read that Buena Vista Palace is a fairly easy walk to DTD. I'm nearing 60 and not as spry as I used to be. My convention will be almost the same week his was, so I know it will be hot, but I handled it before by taking my own sweet time. Being on the monorail may have made a big difference, however. So I'm thinking I would probably not venture to the parks during the convention, and instead book a few days at a Disney resort hotel before or after the convention to venture to the parks and other hotels. Since my convention would run from breakfast to dinnertime daily, I would content myself with evenings in DTD during the convention.

Any comments regarding a senior lady alone at Buena Vista Palace if DH wigs out on me? With and without a car? Luggage logistics, things like that.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
DFD
You know that feeling you get when you’re standing in a high place with a sudden urge to jump? I don’t have it.
I take it plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
I just found out a group I belong to will be having a convention at Buena Vista Palace next summer. My husband is not sure he wants to go, but I am totally up for a solo trip if necessary.

I've read that Buena Vista Palace is a fairly easy walk to DTD.
Any comments regarding a senior lady alone at Buena Vista Palace if DH wigs out on me? With and without a car? Luggage logistics, things like that.
it right across the bus stop at Market Place... and just like you said if you take your sweet time you will get there... It doesnt matter if you are 6 or 60... when it is hot it is hot.... My mom Love Love Love the BVP... and last Dec.'11 a friend got married their and I have not heard any complain of the lodging... they have Starbucks in the lobby and serves a delcious Carrot cake also!!! Yumminess!!! And again if you do resort dining the buses are right there for you... and if you ever decide to venture out the back door/walking path for SSR (Congress Park Bus stop is right there!!!!!) you can take the bus to the Parks

Enjoy and yes do take your sweet moments... You are already on Disney soil... a few minutes will not matter as long as you get there... Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Car: if you dont plan to rent a car you can get Mears for $20 one way to bring you to BVP... well that was the rate last year not sure if the price went up...

or check ALAMO from time to time... they do have good last minute rates

and worst come to worst ... the Enterprise kiosk is next door
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I have more than a year to plan for it! I'm thinking the AutoTrain with my own car might work better for me than flying, but I'm weighing all the options.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
DFD
You know that feeling you get when you’re standing in a high place with a sudden urge to jump? I don’t have it.
I take it plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
Thanks! I have more than a year to plan for it! I'm thinking the AutoTrain with my own car might work better for me than flying, but I'm weighing all the options.
oh goodie.... you have time to plan and simmer it all down!!!! BTW where abouts in Md... we always have meet and greet between Md to NY... our fave place is the J&M crab places!! Yumminessss or the Nat'l Harbour for some lobster treats and or Xmas escapades!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely going! I've made AutoTrain reservations for one vehicle and two people! Wouldn't you know DH couldn't stand the idea of me having fun without him. (Or he thinks I can't manage without him.) He's thinking about asking a friend to fly down at the same time so while I'm at the convention they can go do some things I wouldn't be interested in doing. Otherwise maybe he will go back to Kennedy Space Center by himself. We had a great time there on our last trip. We never made it to the Astronaut Hall of Fame, and now the new shuttle exhibit will be at KSC so that's something different to explore.

DFD, I'm not familiar with J&M. Is that on the lower Eastern Shore?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFD View Post
it right across the bus stop at Market Place... and just like you said if you take your sweet time you will get there... It doesnt matter if you are 6 or 60... when it is hot it is hot.... My mom Love Love Love the BVP... and last Dec.'11 a friend got married their and I have not heard any complain of the lodging... they have Starbucks in the lobby and serves a delcious Carrot cake also!!! Yumminess!!! And again if you do resort dining the buses are right there for you... and if you ever decide to venture out the back door/walking path for SSR (Congress Park Bus stop is right there!!!!!) you can take the bus to the Parks

Enjoy and yes do take your sweet moments... You are already on Disney soil... a few minutes will not matter as long as you get there... Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Car: if you dont plan to rent a car you can get Mears for $20 one way to bring you to BVP... well that was the rate last year not sure if the price went up...

or check ALAMO from time to time... they do have good last minute rates

and worst come to worst ... the Enterprise kiosk is next door
OMG, I had a friend who got married there last December as well. . .lol. . . (sorry, couldn't resist. . .lol). I guess we all love our dear Matterhorn.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: