Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

MDR Seating

Can the tables in the MDR accomodate large groups? We will be going in a group of 11. 6 adults and 5 children. Would we all be able to sit together or would we get split up? Since obviously we won't all be in the same room, would we have to request to sit together IF they could accomodate it?
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Can the tables in the MDR accomodate large groups? We will be going in a group of 11. 6 adults and 5 children. Would we all be able to sit together or would we get split up? Since obviously we won't all be in the same room, would we have to request to sit together IF they could accomodate it?

Have DCL or your travel agent link your reservations together for dining.
Yes, there are a few tables for 12, if not they will put tables together if your reservations are linked.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Callymum
DIS Veteran

There are a couple of bigger tables, I think the largest is about 10-12 seats.
Mostly they put bigger groups into two tables of 6/8 seats which are next to each other. I would maybe request a big table And link the reservations with Guest services before the Cruise.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Thanks you guys!! I appreciate the info!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Pwac
Mouseketeer

We had a party of 13 at one table together every night on the Fantasy in June.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The biggest table I've been at was 18. They will place tables together if one of the big tables is not available. You WILL all be able to sit together. Just be sure that the reservations are linked or cross referenced for dining.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
lae
Earning My Ears

We sailed last Feb on the Dream. It was a family reunion. We were a group of 33 and had all the reservations linked. Called and confirmed the dining before leaving home. They had us in in 2 sections close to each other but the fact that we didn't always sit at the same table number each night so that we could visit had them REALLY confused. Goodness they had parents and kids split up because they had adjoining staterooms. Everyone arrived at the same time yet we had people eating salad at one table with one parent and the other parent and child being served dessert at the next. Complete disaster. We love cruising with Disney (we have been 9 times) but would never plan a large family reunion on the cruise line again. I guess more than what they can put at one table is too many.
lae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae View Post
We sailed last Feb on the Dream. It was a family reunion. We were a group of 33 and had all the reservations linked. Called and confirmed the dining before leaving home. They had us in in 2 sections close to each other but the fact that we didn't always sit at the same table number each night so that we could visit had them REALLY confused. Goodness they had parents and kids split up because they had adjoining staterooms. Everyone arrived at the same time yet we had people eating salad at one table with one parent and the other parent and child being served dessert at the next. Complete disaster. We love cruising with Disney (we have been 9 times) but would never plan a large family reunion on the cruise line again. I guess more than what they can put at one table is too many.
33 people would almost fill 2 complete server's sections. While most of the time the servers can handle the idea of people swapping between tables within their section, my guess is that you were trading off between sections--and that would confuse them. Yes, if you exceed one section, it is difficult for them.

We were at a table of 6 on one cruise. Our server's other table was a family of 16. They would not only switch seats each night (which the servers are used to), but would swap seats part way thru the meal. This had the assistant really working hard to stay on his toes. On a couple occasions the head server served us so that the server could deal with the other table. (OK, they had other issues too....they were really taxing to our excellent server).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
twinstars
Mouseketeer

On our recent cruise on the Wonder, we were seated as a table of 11 across 3 staterooms. The occasional movement between seats did seem to confuse the servers, especially during lunch time dining. The only thing that I didn't like about having 11 this time is that the service was much slower than we sailed with smaller groups. We were consistently the last to leave the dining room, and it is not because we are slow eaters! Our two previous cruises, we had table of 8 and table of 6.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

We just had five cabins last week on the Magic all with different rotations assigned so I went to dining changes and asked if possibly we could all eat at the same table...we did not care which rotation we started with. Wira, one of the head servers, told us to meet him at Lumiere's the first night. It helped that I had everyone's name and cabin numbers on a card for him to reference.

We showed up at Lumiere's and he had a table for 10 all ready for us and we had fantastic serving team of Conrad from Jamaica (server) and Jackson from India (assistant server).

We were very appreciative and thanked the head server repeatedly (also tipped more to the whole team for going above and beyond).

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: