Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

Allergy-friendly "normal" foods?

There's a lot of talk on here right now about alternative products for allergies, but I was wondering about some of the regular foods off the menus.

Three of us will be avoiding peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs. Will the hamburger bus and other breads at counter service restaurants be safe for us, or do they contain egg? My 2 and 5 year olds are currently trialing milk to see if they've outgrown their milk allergies. If they have, is the mac & cheese egg-free? I know that Disney is pretty good about not having peanuts/tree nuts in items that don't need them, so can I expect things like Mexican food, pizza, etc. to be safe? We'll read the ingredients in the big books at CS locations, of course, but it's just easier to plan if I know that some things won't be safe for us before we get there. I have 5 sons ages 9 and under, so anything that makes it easier to eat is a HUGE blessing.

What's the status of the Mickey ice cream bars right now? Are they nut-free?
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran
Dreaming of my Disney honeymoon!
Beware the troll dolls in Norway...they're creepy!

I have an anaphylactic tree nut allergy (not peanut) and when that and strawberry were the only things I had to contend with, I ate really well at WDW and didn't feel like I was missing out at all. I want to say that a lot of the same things were peanut free but please, don't take that as fact, that was a long time ago and a lot has changed. As you know egg is really the hard one. It's in everything. And its harder with kids- as an adult its disappointing but understandable when your dinner is a variation on chicken, rice or potatoes, and veggies every night. Kids see what the other kids have and want that. I totally understand that one. My allergies are different than yours (gluten, tree nuts, strawberries, and sensitive to corn- so no corn, corn flour, corn meal, but okay with corn syrup, canola oil, etc). My son is no dairy, no soy and the same corn issue. We eat better at Disney than anywhere else, it may take a bit longer, it may be a hassle to wait longer sometimes (thinking counter service here) but it is so worth it for the peace of mind of knowing that we'll be safe. Good luck! I wish I could be more help but Disney's new way of how they are handling allergies in advance doesn't really allow for advance planning
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
mistysue
DIS Veteran

You will have to ask when you get places. Every place could have a different bread, a different mac and cheese recipe, etc.

If it helps you any, when DS was only avoiding nuts we would talk to the chef and they would have 1-2 things at each place he shouldn't have. Eggs are harder, but this last trip DS was no wheat, egg, soy, dairy, nuts, shellfish, buckwheat or sesame and he ate like a normal person except at Hollywood and vine. CS is much more frustrating than TS, unless you are staying at POP. That place was like a dream come true. If you know where you will be certain days, I would try to book a couple of the less expensive TS, like the plaza and rose and crown.

Edit-
If nuts and eggs are "all" you are avoiding, I would try not to worry. It's not like going to some random local place, Disney does have enough preparation and variety that you all will be able to eat. The people who have trouble there are the posters who show up with lists of numerous chemicals, preservatives, colors, how the animal was raised, etc. It sounds like most food is still available to you.

I like vacations.

Last edited by mistysue; 09-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: