Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
idgy
Mouseketeer

Hotel check in time..what's typical?

I am starting to become worried Super worried!

What time is typical for check in? (dates are oct 24-28th) Our plane lands at 830am so I think we'll be at the hotel around 10ish? (after grocery stop) I don't really expect our room to be ready (but keeping fingers crossed).

Problem: We are doing HHN the day we arrive. What if our room isn't ready till 4pm or something??? We'll be in the s&s holding area and won't get back to get in our room until midnight!!! After a day starting at 4am this would be horrible!

Any advise?
idgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

rooms are ready by 4:00 for the most part.

looks like you will arrive and check in on a wednesday.
shouldn't be a problem for your room to be ready before 4:00.

if you are in the park, you do not have to return to the front desk when you return to the hotel.

you can be called or texted when your room is ready and the room #.
your room key will work when you first use it.

you can request your luggage be put in your room while you are in the park or you can call star service and let them know you want your belongings brought to your room when you are back in the room.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
francie57
DIS Veteran

It may also depend on the crowd level when you go. Usually it is 3 or 4 in the afternoon. We were there starting Aug. 9 and we were at the desk at HRH by 10:30 a.m. and the connecting room we reserved were ready so we were able to go right to the rooms. This isn't the first time that has happened but there are many times we have waited until after 4. You just never know, you may get lucky but if there is HHN at night chances are the hotels will be busy so you will probably not get in before 4.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

we've had our rooms not be ready until after 6 pm a few times over the years.

We now come in a day early before our 1st planned HHN though. Once( because a guest who paid via AMEX requested guaranteed late checkout) almost missed getting back into park that year before the gates closed on a HHN.

I don't recall our room ever being ready before approx 4 pm whether a room or suite, but not a problem to just drop your bags, head to the park and come back later when notified..

OP unless you have a suite or really want a specific room, i'd request whatever is available first when you check into the resort.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Melanie230
Ready to retire in Florida. Trading my Mommy title for a Mummy title!

I think it does depend on when you go. We go in October and we get to the hotel around 8-9am and we have always been able to check in immediately.
March 2006 Royal Pacific; June 2007 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2008 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2009 Pop Century; October 2010 Pop Century; October 2011 Hard Rock Hotel; September/October 2012 Portofino Bay Hotel
Melanie230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
idgy
Mouseketeer

When I booked the dates I wasn't really thinking about not being able to check in when we got there. Hopefully we'll get our room early.

Thanks Keisha for the tip to request first available.....I'll do that for sure!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgy View Post
When I booked the dates I wasn't really thinking about not being able to check in when we got there. Hopefully we'll get our room early.

Thanks Keisha for the tip to request first available.....I'll do that for sure!
you're welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie230 View Post
I think it does depend on when you go. We go in October and we get to the hotel around 8-9am and we have always been able to check in immediately.
yep, that's a biggie. I'll throw out the day of the week, whether there's a HHN that night in Oct and imo, most importantly, the type of room you have booked. (Not as many suites, so they have less ability to get guests in early not to mention any gold upgrade requests at the desk).

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
bored
Mouseketeer

We were able to check-in around 1:30 this past Friday at the HRH.
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
idgy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
We were able to check-in around 1:30 this past Friday at the HRH.
That gives me some hope!

I'm going to fax the resort a few days before our arrival, explain our situation and request a first available room.

Keeping fingers crossed for early check-in!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

It's been hit or miss for us. Always give your cell # at check-in. You'll get a text when it's ready. Also, be nosy when they are checking you in. They won't write down your room number on your check-in key folder, but they'll write it down somewhere as they are checking you in, so you know if you snoop a bit. When we checked in last year between Christmas and NYE, our room wasn't ready till after 5. However, we knew what our room number was from being nosy during check-in. We went to the room around 5, and it was ready. However, we didn't get the text it was ready until maybe 20 minutes later. You should have better luck when you go.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
idgy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
It's been hit or miss for us. Always give your cell # at check-in. You'll get a text when it's ready. Also, be nosy when they are checking you in. They won't write down your room number on your check-in key folder, but they'll write it down somewhere as they are checking you in, so you know if you snoop a bit. When we checked in last year between Christmas and NYE, our room wasn't ready till after 5. However, we knew what our room number was from being nosy during check-in. We went to the room around 5, and it was ready. However, we didn't get the text it was ready until maybe 20 minutes later. You should have better luck when you go.
That's great advise! I'll just keep my eyes on them during check in Thanks for the great input!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: