Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I think they should have kept it dry. There is plenty of alcohol in the other parks.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

I'm sad about this decision. I like MK being alcohol free and don't see any reason why they need to break that tradition. I agree with what others have said, it won't be long before other places in MK will serve alcohol too.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I don't drink except for a very rare glass of wine a few times a year, so I don't know if that makes me biased, but I just don't see the need to do this. I loved the fact that MK was dry, not so much because of me, but for kids whose parents tend to drink too much...MK was somewhere they didn't have to worry about it and just have fun. I don't know, it's sad, it was an ideal of Walt's, they should have let it be.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I honestly don't know what I think. I don't drink except for a very rare glass of wine a few times a year, so I don't know if that makes me biased, but I just don't see the need to do this. I loved the fact that MK was dry, not so much because of me, but for kids whose parents tend to drink too much...MK was somewhere they didn't have to worry about it and just have fun. From the sounds of it though it will be pretty controlled and you can't leave the restaurant with it...I don't know, it was an ideal of Walt's, I think they should have let it be.
i am sure you wont be allowed to leave with it and i am sure disney will keep a strict limit on how much they serve like two glass per adult.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Disneyland is not dry. Club 33 serves booze.
Anytime alcohol and MK are mentioned in the same breath, someone always trots out this old hack and it is SOOOO infuriating!!. And it is not even slightly relevant. Club 33 is a private club. It is not open to the park. Joe Schmo from Idaho can't just walz in and order a brew. The public areas of Disneyland are dry.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #21
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

Anytime alcohol and MK are mentioned in the same breath, someone always trots out this old hack and it is SOOOO infuriating!!. And it is not even slightly relevant. Club 33 is a private club. It is not open to the park. Joe Schmo from Idaho can't just walz in and order a brew. The public areas of Disneyland are dry.
And so will the public areas of the MK they have already said only at dinner and only in be our guest, it's not like they are putting a cart on main Street selling beer.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

I think people are over reacting, it's just a little beer or wine with dinner, in one table service location, at dinner only. My guess is most guests won't even know that alcohol is available. People are reacting as if they opened a bar up on Main Street, you won't be able to just wander in and order a beer.

And all this business about Walt, Walt opened club 33 in Disneyland. Sure it's a private club, but it's still in Disneyland.
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

My thoughts on this from the TPA&S thread on the subject

Quote:
I don't mind a drink, and enjoy drinking around the world at EPCOT or hanging out at the Tune Inn at MGM.... But i'm not entirely sure how I feel about this yet.

In general, I don't have an issue with a glass of wine or beer with dinner, especially at a TS restaurant.....which only has 1 TS meal a day. It ultimately wouldn't be any worse than the people who can hit a monorail to one of the monorail resorts for lunch today.

What worries me more though is the potential for creep of this policy, ESPECIALLY with the logic they used in announcing it.

"It's only logical in a French Restaurant!"

So why wouldn't offering Italian Wines be logical in an Italian Restaurant? Or Champagne, or even Mead.... be logical in a Castle?
Or beers/whiskey/mead type beverages in a Colonial restaurant?

To go a bit further.....

Crystal Palace is based off a French location.... so it's French right?

Or worse....

'It's only logical to serve alcohol in a Tavern'.... so there goes Gaston's and Tortuga.

It's a fine line, and while I don't have a problem with Adults being adults and drinking.... I worry about the tradition of the MK being dry... and the possibility of them deciding to make it much easier to get, throughout the day. I also feel a lot of times like the MK is more cramped and crowded.... and can be hot and miserable more than the other parks.... so I can see alcohol being a bad addition to that mix, even if it's from perfectly rational adults who don't realize how it'll impact them in the florida heat.
ultimately... I'd say i just don't trust Management to avoid the temptation of the policy creep now that the door has been opened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I think people are over reacting, it's just a little beer or wine with dinner, in one table service location, at dinner only. My guess is most guests won't even know that alcohol is available. People are reacting as if they opened a bar up on Main Street, you won't be able to just wander in and order a beer.

And all this business about Walt, Walt opened club 33 in Disneyland. Sure it's a private club, but it's still in Disneyland.

Club33 is an entirely different animal. It's a private club, so it's much more exclusive and therefore serves a different clientele, has a totally different [expensive] cost structure, and has a different vibe. You don't have to worry about Club33 causing the policy to creep to other restaurants.

Another way of looking at it....

There is no way that Club 33 would ever take the DDP. BOG is a 1 TS Credit DDP restaurant. That right there should highlight how different the target markets, and general clientele would be. the DDP is marketed to everybody, while Club 33 isn't even really known about outside of it's traditional Membership rolls and the Disney fans.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

Crystal Palace is English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace

But I still don't see the big deal with beer and wine.
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Really, really sad. I know they say it is a theming issue, and helps tell a story. Sorry, I don't remember Belle knocking back Pinots; anyone else?

And for me, it doesn't matter if it is in one restaurant or all the restaurants, Walt's intention was for a dry MK. For me, the dry MK was out of respect to Walt's wishes and his memory. I did NYE a few years back at Epcot, and I gotta tell you, it was sad. It did not even feel like the same place. I remember thinking, "Am I even in Walt Disney World?" But, there was always Magic Kingdom, good ol Magic Kingdom. No matter what, when I was in Magic Kingdom, despite all the updates and changes over the years, it always felt like home, and it always felt like nothing had ever changed at all.

I worry that it is a slippery slope. Kind of like pregnancy. There is no relative terms for pregnancy, no "little bit" pregnant. You either are or you aren't. You are either a dry park or you aren't. And now, MK won't be. And if they aren't dry, what's to stop them from offering beer and wine everywhere?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Guess I'm in the minority.

What's the big deal about allowing a glass of wine with dinner - in ONE restaurant? Not that it's any skin off my nose, since we're not eating dinner there this trip, anyway.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I was coming here to ask what everyone thought.

I'm not really for it as MK was meant to be a "dry" park.

On the flip, Gaston's should have alcohol to fit its theme like in the movie.

If I had to say yay or nay, I'm definitely against it. It should remain as a dry park. If you want to drink, go to Epcot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I liken a nice glass of wine as much as the next person, but I really wish that the powers that be had stuck with Walt's original wishes.....a 'dry' MK. I know others will disagree, but that's just how I feel. As soon as that can of worms is opened, I see the other restaurants following suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahA View Post
I like to have a nice glass of wine with dinner, but, I wish that the MK would have stayed dry. This is the beginning, where does it end? 1 restaurant, then all of them, then beer being served around the MK at snack stands. It seems like another way for Disney to make more money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
I think they should have kept it dry. There is plenty of alcohol in the other parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
I'm sad about this decision. I like MK being alcohol free and don't see any reason why they need to break that tradition. I agree with what others have said, it won't be long before other places in MK will serve alcohol too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I don't drink except for a very rare glass of wine a few times a year, so I don't know if that makes me biased, but I just don't see the need to do this. I loved the fact that MK was dry, not so much because of me, but for kids whose parents tend to drink too much...MK was somewhere they didn't have to worry about it and just have fun. I don't know, it's sad, it was an ideal of Walt's, they should have let it be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
Really, really sad. I know they say it is a theming issue, and helps tell a story. Sorry, I don't remember Belle knocking back Pinots; anyone else?

And for me, it doesn't matter if it is in one restaurant or all the restaurants, Walt's intention was for a dry MK. For me, the dry MK was out of respect to Walt's wishes and his memory. I did NYE a few years back at Epcot, and I gotta tell you, it was sad. It did not even feel like the same place. I remember thinking, "Am I even in Walt Disney World?" But, there was always Magic Kingdom, good ol Magic Kingdom. No matter what, when I was in Magic Kingdom, despite all the updates and changes over the years, it always felt like home, and it always felt like nothing had ever changed at all.

I worry that it is a slippery slope. Kind of like pregnancy. There is no relative terms for pregnancy, no "little bit" pregnant. You either are or you aren't. You are either a dry park or you aren't. And now, MK won't be. And if they aren't dry, what's to stop them from offering beer and wine everywhere?
I agree with all of the above!

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
whodini
Mouseketeer

I love the idea that I can have a nice meal, with a glass of wine, in the MK. I see no problem with this. This wine & beer list is mostly high end - there's not a glass of Beringers or a bottle of Bud anywhere in sight.

If someone really wants to get drunk and go ride Space Mountain, it's more likely they'll go to one of the monorail resorts and then head on over. I know I've had a few drinks with dinner over at California Grill and then gone over to MK for EMH nights.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
kcb1dizbksfan
Mouseketeer

No alcohol MK = purity and good family values and alcohol in this park is not appropriate.

DR NYKCB (Ken)
kcb1dizbksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcb1dizbksfan View Post
No alcohol MK = purity and good family values and alcohol in this park is not appropriate.

DR NYKCB (Ken)
I don't buy that Disney can put alcohol into any park it wants to if they decide to start serving it in Cinderella Castle I wouldn't care either. If it's that much of a problem for you stop going to WDW.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: