Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #1201
tkoriath
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrich

Great idea to save the $ ahead of time for those expenses.

My sister worries because a co-worker told her that her son never had any spending money and the money he earned went 100% to housing.

I told her maybe that is just what her son told her so he could get some money out of his parents.

I trust the DIS BOARDS.
I have done the cp twice and may have fibbed a little so my parents would send me money but I had enough to live on and do a little extra even w/o there help.
tkoriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #1202
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

another question about classes

My sister is grateful to all of the responses. If my niece is accepted, I am sure my sister will join the boards.

She has another question and I wasnt quite sure on the answer even after reading the thread...

Do we understand right that classes are offered? If yes, what type and what is the price range? Do they count as college credit?

Do you have to take classes?

We were wondering if it would be like living on a college campus (going to school, working, and living away)

Much thanks!!!!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1203
aznshents
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrich View Post
My sister is grateful to all of the responses. If my niece is accepted, I am sure my sister will join the boards.

She has another question and I wasnt quite sure on the answer even after reading the thread...

Do we understand right that classes are offered? If yes, what type and what is the price range? Do they count as college credit?

Do you have to take classes?

We were wondering if it would be like living on a college campus (going to school, working, and living away)

Much thanks!!!!!!
You don't HAVE to take classes, and I don't remember if there was a preregistration fee or not for the classes. I didn't take any on my CP but I really wanted to- some classes are REALLY fun, and it depends on your school . I went to a pretty high-tier business school who wouldn't even consider giving credit because they weren't an accredited four-year institution, but colleges vary, and people can have a talk with their advisors to try and work something out.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1204
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshents View Post
You don't HAVE to take classes
This is correct for Walt Disney World. However, classes are required at Disneyland.

http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/progr...ents/learning/

"At the Disneyland ® Resort, education participation is required."
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #1205
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshents View Post
You don't HAVE to take classes, and I don't remember if there was a preregistration fee or not for the classes. I didn't take any on my CP but I really wanted to- some classes are REALLY fun, and it depends on your school . I went to a pretty high-tier business school who wouldn't even consider giving credit because they weren't an accredited four-year institution, but colleges vary, and people can have a talk with their advisors to try and work something out.
My niece will be happy to hear this. I think they both assumed this was going to be like going away to school.

She told me she would be happy taking off a semester..

Fingers crossed, she had her phone interview yesterday........
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #1206
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

My daughter is just starting to look into this. She would like to apply for the Spring 2013 term. She wanted to apply earlier in the year for this Fall but my son is getting married tomorrow and I told her she should wait for the Spring.

What is the deadline to apply for the Spring 2013? Any tips/suggestions, etc.?

What is the process also - once application sent in?

Thank you so much in advance.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1207
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
My daughter is just starting to look into this. She would like to apply for the Spring 2013 term. She wanted to apply earlier in the year for this Fall but my son is getting married tomorrow and I told her she should wait for the Spring.

Thank you so much in advance.
Disney will probably stop recruiting for Spring 2013 late Nov/early Dec

The process is: WBI, pass that then phone interview, pass that then just wait until arrival
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #1208
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
Disney will probably stop recruiting for Spring 2013 late Nov/early Dec

The process is: WBI, pass that then phone interview, pass that then just wait until arrival
Thank you. I know she has an appointment with someone at her community college - trying to figure out if she should withdraw for the semester when the time comes - write an essay for credits - she wants to see what her options are.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #1209
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

My dd was in the CP last spring. She had three roommates. Here is how their college credits/classes break down:

--She took two online classes through her college. She thought that was the maximum she could handle working in attractions in MK, which has long hours. (She often worked 50-60 hours/week.) One problem she had was that the internet connection at the Disney apartments was terrible. She also took one Disney class which was 2-3 hours one day per week; she thought that class was great but was disappointed because the teacher for the specific area in which she was interested was very clear that she didn't want any kids "bothering" her with requests for shadowing or help getting into her department (she was an anomaly -- the other teachers were all quite helpful). She'd like to return to Disney.

--One roommate took 4 online classes through her college. She did terribly at them and really hurt her GPA. The nightmare with the internet connection made her life hell. She took no Disney classes. She'd like to return to Disney.

--Two roommates took no classes through their college and took no Disney classes. One of them had taken a semester off from college and was getting no credits for the CP from her college. They both spent all of their spare time partying. Both of those girls admitted quite freely that they came to the CP to have an extended Florida spring break experience and had no real interest in Disney (one of them had never been there before the CP). One of them ended up getting terminated right before the program ended for failure to show up to work. The other just complained endlessly about how much work interfered with her partying. Neither of them have any desire to return to Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS

Last fall was really no fun for us because my dd was interviewed the second week of September and told she'd hear within 2 weeks. A family friend also interviewed a day later and was told the same thing. Then they were told it would be in 3 days. Then a week. Then two more weeks. Then they both got emails asking if they were still interested and if she didn't reply, then she'd be dropped. Then another 16 days. Then someone at Disney told her that, "Honestly, the timelines are all a fabrication. You'll hear when you hear." Dd finally heard December 16. That was a VERY long three months for all of us. Very stressful. So my suggestion would be to tell your daughter not to believe them when they say she'll hear in a timely fashion. That way, if she does hear quickly -- wonderful! If she doesn't, then she's been prepared for the delay.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #1210
szymcl
Mouseketeer

My Daughter just started her fall program Sept 5 as a life guard, if anyone has any questions.
szymcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #1211
MI mom of 3
didn't feel any panic that we were missing things

Son just got accepted

My son just got his email yesterday saying he got into the CP. He is so excited. He had his phone interview last Tuesday. They told him he would hear within 2 weeks. And it was just over one week. He was so nervous, he was certain he was going to be rejected.

He is in custodial which he is happy with. There are auditions for characters next month in Detroit that he might go to. He figures he has nothing to lose by trying.

I've read some of this thread and know that this is going to be an invaluable tool. THANK YOU

He has paid his fees and picked his arrival date. What is the next step? When does he find out which apartment complex he's in?

Thanks again.

'67 Disneyland; '74, '75 Fort Wilderness; '82 Treehouses; '83, '85, '89 Fairway Villas; '91 Grand Vista Suites; '93 Beach Club; '93 Fairway Villas; '94 OKW; '95 AllStar Sports; '96 Disneyland, '97 OKW; '99, '01 OKW/Vero; '01 Boardwalk; '03, '05 OKW/Vero; '06 CSR; '07 POFQ; '07 OKW/Vero; '08 Poly; '09 OKW/Vero; '11 Saratoga Springs; '11 OKW/Vero; '12 Vero Beach; '12 Beach Club Villas; '13 AllStar Music; '13 Pop Century; '13 OKW/Vero; '13 Art of Animation; '13 AllStar Sports; '14 Pop Century; '14 Pop Century; '14 OKW; '14 Saratoga Springs
MI mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #1212
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI mom of 3
My son just got his email yesterday saying he got into the CP. He is so excited. He had his phone interview last Tuesday. They told him he would hear within 2 weeks. And it was just over one week. He was so nervous, he was certain he was going to be rejected.

He is in custodial which he is happy with. There are auditions for characters next month in Detroit that he might go to. He figures he has nothing to lose by trying.

I've read some of this thread and know that this is going to be an invaluable tool. THANK YOU

He has paid his fees and picked his arrival date. What is the next step? When does he find out which apartment complex he's in?

Thanks again.
He will be assigned to his apartment complex on the day of his arrival. If he meets others online or at auditions who have the same arrival date, they can check-in together and be assigned as roommates. DIsney will assign him with others in his age range as in if he is under 21 all of his roommates will also be under 21. If he is 21 or older, he will be grouped accordingly and the age span could be greater than a few years in age. My daughter was assigned to Vista Way but as some of the roommates left the program the remaining ones were reassigned. My daughter finished her CP at Patterson or Chatham, I can't remember!, with all new roommates.
Good luck to your son! It's an exciting time! My daughter loved the CP and now she is a full-time Disney employee and continues to live her dream!

Sent from my cool iPad 2 using DISBoards
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #1213
famouschinesec
Mouseketeer

Apartments

My DD20 has just been accepted for the spring 2013 semester. Can anyone give me a run down on the different "personalities" of the varying apartments. She is 20 entering the program, so all we know is she will be "wellness" whatever that means. She does not have to cover all her expenses herself, so if it's a case of we have to pay $40 more a month to be in a newer, nicer place, then that is what I would prefer to do.
famouschinesec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #1214
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouschinesec
My DD20 has just been accepted for the spring 2013 semester. Can anyone give me a run down on the different "personalities" of the varying apartments. She is 20 entering the program, so all we know is she will be "wellness" whatever that means. She does not have to cover all her expenses herself, so if it's a case of we have to pay $40 more a month to be in a newer, nicer place, then that is what I would prefer to do.
Wellness means her roommates will also be under 21 and absolutely no alcohol in the apartment or consumed by them elsewhere. Vista is closer to fast food restaurants and groceries. Chatham and Patterson are adjacent to each other and the shuttle buses only pick up from one of those two complexes. Vista has shuttles picking up right at the entrance gates. I think for ease, Vista is preferred. The apartments and arrangements are basically the same. Chatham and Patterson are newer complexes but my daughter did like Vista.

Sent from my cool iPad 2 using DISBoards
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #1215
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI mom of 3 View Post

Thanks again.
Custodial is fun. You have a lot of freedom
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: