Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #31
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

I never experienced Figment beyond the pictures on the Dis. But I've found the character design to be very unappealing, I understand he's sentimental to some guests but I wonder if today's kids would connect with him.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Figment View Post
Love the idea of going back the original...but unfortunately it is not as quick a fix as it was for the tiki room. The ride was plagued with issues for years (the turntable broke down all the time)...the rooms have been gutted, changed and rearranged. Many of the sets were destroyed. In the example of the tiki room, the set was almost 100% still there to begin with...just take out Zazu and Iago...re-sync the audio animatronics (cut out the tiki fountain that no longer exists)...and you are back in business. Parts of Journey into imagination are gone, in derepair, or were auctioned on ebay
Ya if you look at pictures of the upstairs area now almost everything is gone, it also looks like Disney is just letting that area rot.
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Going back to the original would be great. Please KEEP Figment. The removal of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was traumatic enough! I can't IMAGINE Disney World without Figment. I agree that Dreamfinder seems to be getting some attention lately in products and articles.....we can only hope for something close to the original.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #34
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

I hear that they are going to replace JII with "Journey into Merchandise Sales featuring Duffy and the Profitfinder"

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
FigmentFans
DIS Veteran

I was a big fan of the original Figment ride since I like the whole concept of using your imagination. They probably can't go back to the original ride, but they could do a lot to the current ride to make it more up to date and interesting. More optical illusions, soap bubbles and bubble bath scent coming down from the upside down bath tub, have touchscreens in the ride cars so users can customize what they get in various areas (such as which smell), etc. If they don't do anything, I'm afraid it will close more from lack of interest/attendance
FigmentFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
ArthurFiggis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsoskil View Post
I hear that they are going to replace JII with "Journey into Merchandise Sales featuring Duffy and the Profitfinder"
And we have a winner!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post
I never experienced Figment beyond the pictures on the Dis. But I've found the character design to be very unappealing, I understand he's sentimental to some guests but I wonder if today's kids would connect with him.
My girls are 9 and 12 and love figment. So yes, he appeals to kids today
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #38
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey

My girls are 9 and 12 and love figment. So yes, he appeals to kids today
My bro (9 yrs.) and I (14 yrs.) love figment! Disney just needs to attract crowds to see Figment and update the ride a bit. Also it's a bit out of the way and probably not too many people have heard of the ride. Maybe if as part of a phineas and ferb quest in future world(I know none exists but anyway) you had to ride the ride to get a clue or something and get your imagination rolling for designing an invention to help perry out of his cage.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I'm not sure I entirely believe that.

The 2 prevailing reasons I've heard for the upstairs shuttering where:

1. There was something about the way taxes were charged that was based off 'Guest Accessible areas'. But shutting down the top floor, Disney was able to achieve a tax savings since it was no longer counted as a guest accessible area.

2. The fact only 1 elevator serviced the top floor which resulted in slower access for those with mobility concerns.

IMHO.... If reason #2 was valid, then the Land would be in MUCH worse shape than the Imageworks ever would be. There is only 1, slow moving, elevator in the Land Pavilion, and with most of the major attractions, including the heavy draw of Soarin, located downstairs, The elevator bottleneck is a much bigger concern there than it would be for normal operation at Imagination.

As for the fire Exit concern, i'm not entirely sure i buy that excuse either. They could easily install needed fire exits into the backstage areas in addition to the spiral staircase and escalator that already exists in the show areas. (the escalator was pretty much walled off with the downstairs remodel). The Elevator wouldn't be an issue during an emergency evacuation since you shouldn't be using elevators anyways in those situations.
I know this is a couple weeks old, but I haven't been on the boards much in that time...anyways, I agree. Having experienced The Land in an ECV situation, that definitely can't be the reason.

And I'm not sure what makes a spiral staircase any worse than a linear one.

So if a "fire code" card is being played, they'd need to explain what part of the fire code it violates.

I'm more willing to believe it was a management/maintenance cost thing, especially given the traffic the pavilion gets now.

As for "admitting a mistake", they've set precedent of "rewinding" now not only with the Tiki Room, but also with the return of Captain EO - which has lasted a lot longer than anyone thought. And I'm still not going to see it again.

And the MSEP could be considered a rewind as well.

The suits don't seem to be averse to the nostalgia factor any more.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #40
baseballmickey
DDC #644

what would happen if we got these two together??

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #41
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post

Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post

4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #43
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I would LoVE a new figment ride. Or the old one. Just not what's there now. Imagination is SO important. I cannot believe they haven't fixed the pavilion before now. It's too bad things didn't work out better with the imagination movers because the idea warehouse idea could have been incorporated. I love the original song of figment, it was my very first ride ever in wdw and (the newer one) was my sons first ride. Before anything at the mk. I still have a figment figure sitting on my desk at work (22 years later). Such an important part of life- imagination. There would be no mickey or disneyland or disneyworld without walts imagination. I Would love to see them make this pavilion more desirable but would really like to see them keep some elements of the original (figment, dream finder, just one spark).

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #44
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggieFan View Post
Going back to the original would be great. Please KEEP Figment. The removal of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was traumatic enough! I can't IMAGINE Disney World without Figment. I agree that Dreamfinder seems to be getting some attention lately in products and articles.....we can only hope for something close to the original.
I wish that was true but unless they're are bringing back Horizons to it is just an article that was about EPCOT's past. They had an article on both the old Dreamfinder, and Horizons. But I was hoping that the article meant something.
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #45
Agent555
Mouseketeer

I wish I could've seen the original ride! I can imagine it was pretty awesome! I love Figment he is not my favorite but it would'nt be WDW without him!

No new trips...YET!!!
"It is nice to see people here my age who haven't grown up either." Jimmy Buffett
Agent555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: