Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Disney with an infant

Well, a 1 year old. Thoughts? Concerns? Things I should think about other than her changing and or eating?

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

It isn't too bad. I took DD when she was 9 months old and again when she was 21 months. Keep in mind that your child may not like the characters at that age. My DD loved them at 21 months but was very afraid of them at 9 months. My DD loved fireworks at 21 months but was afraid of them at 9 months.

Do not rent the Disney strollers. Either bring your own or rent one. If you rent, I really like the City Mini. My DD was able to nap in it without any trouble. She usually doesn't nap in a stroller at home. Everyday after lunch she would ask to get the in stroller and she would nap.

Use the baby care centers for changing your child if you are nearby. Most of the bathrooms only have one changing table. The baby care centers have many.

Slow down and do things at your child's pace. This was hard for us, but if DD wanted to stand and watch the Gibbons at AK (which she did) we let her. I don't know when you are going, we went in May and it was very warm, and DD loved playing in the founatains at DTD and Epcot. I broght extra clothes and shoes just for that.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
detarica
Mouseketeer

I have done this a couple times. Disney is a great place for babies as long as you don't push them past their comfort level. I totally second slowing down and enjoying the day at a leisurely pace.

Here's a BIG Disney secret from a annual passholder: you are not going to see and do everything that the four magical parks have to offer on one vacation. I have been more than 10 times to Disney World on weeklong vacations, and I have not seen everything yet. So, accept that, decide what is important to you, and take everything else in a leisurely pace. You are on vacation afterall. You can come back and see more stuff when the baby is older. Couple of specifics:

-There are great Baby Centers that are each park. Find them on a map and plan your diaper changes around being close to one when possible. They have very nice areas for changing. Small potties for potty training toddlers, and peaceful rooms for nursing or bottle feeding. The baby centers are also quiet, have slightly dimmed lights in nursing area, and cool. They can be an oasis for a overheated, over stimulated baby with needs to get a clean diaper, cool off, and eat in a quiet environment. I find them soothing in a crowded park and wish they had an adult version. They also have baby supplies there in case you are one of the hundreds of people a day who lose their pacifer...or forget to re-stock the stroller with diapers.

Food: Portion sizes of meals at Disney are large and most kids meals at Disney come with yogurt and grapes or apples. We could easily feed the baby off the plate our plates (me, my husband, and older daughter) without buying an entire meal for them. My other secret on food is to schedule on sit down meal a day and make an advanced reservation online. It is nice to walk out of a bright/hot/crowded park into a nice table in a cool room. Don't worry about taking a baby to any place inside a Disney park. They all have kid's menus.

Entertaining: The most entertaining thing at Disney for a toddler is the Electric Light Parade. Make sure you get a good place to see this one. My toddler completely went nuts the first time she saw this parade because Tinker Bell blew her a kiss. My favorite is to push the stroller right up to the rope in Frontierland near Pecos Bill's outside seating area. The parade ends near here and it is less crowded than around the castle. Another good spot is in the Liberty Square area.

Stroller: I would invest in a very lightweight stroller with folds easily, but can recline. The Combi Flare Lightweight Stroller has been our favorite. It is lighter than an umbrella stroller, but very confortable. You will be lifting the stroller a lot. Everytime you get on and off the parking lot tram, you will need to take the child out, fold it, and lift it on the tram. This can be very taxing if it is heavy or if you over pack the stroller so that it is difficult to fold. Also, before you get to disney, buy a spray bottle of water that have a fan on it. You can get these for half the price at Wal-mart and kids adore them on hot days. The cool things about strollers at Disney is that you can safely park them in stroller parking outside the attractions and not really worry about them. I wouldn't leave anything of huge value there, but the only thing I have ever had stolen as a plastic poncho...I guess they really needed it.

Stroller Poncho: If you take a stroller, do not go without a stroller poncho. You can get these at Babies R Us. This will keep a sleeping toddler dry and the seat to the stroller dry during one of the daily showers that replenish Orlando. Showers come up fast in Orlando. I have walked in an attraction under blue skies and walked out into a rain storm. Luckily, I left the stroller poncho installed whether there was a cloud in the sky or not, so the stroller was not soaked.

Water Parks and Pools: Kids love the Disney Water parks. Both parks have kiddie areas for toddlers to splash in. There are a couple of family slides at each park that are safe for babies who are not afraid of water and swimming. Make sure you carry swim daipers to use any pool or water slide. Some Disney hotels offer splash pads at the pools for toddlers. My fav is at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It is a huge pirate ship that sprays water in the air every couple minutes.

*whew* I think that is all I have for now. Babies love it there. Both my kids really woke their imaginations while they were there. I really don't know how to describe it.
detarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
a11ie
"I only hope that we Do Not lose sight of one thing -- That it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

I took my DS when he was 14mo. My advice? PLAN.. and then do whatever you please. Know where changing areas are, look into which rides would be a good place to rest (Spaceship Earth in EC or people movers in MK).
I hate to say let your little one run the vacation but definitely let them set the pace. If you try to over do it you'll end up with a cranky kid and it wont feel like much of a vacation anymore.
Dec '92.(US trip)_____Nov '93 (offsite)
Dec '94 (Dixie Landing)_____Sep '95 (BC)
Disneyland '96______Oct '97 (??)
Nov '99 (DL)_____May '00 (BWV)
May '01 (S&D)______Nov '01 (POR, BWV)
Disney Cruise '02______May '03 (BWV)
Oct '04 (BWV)______Sep '06 (BWV)

My DS FIRST trip at 14mo Nov '10 (BWV)
Had 2nd, surprise, trip with Grandma and Papa Oct '12 (BWV)
Planning to go back Sep '13. (BLT&BWV)
ME DS
a11ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Would love to hear all advise. Traveling in Nov. & Dec with our baby boy.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Sparrow624

This is all very helpful. Keep it coming!

Been to Disney 4 times with just the wife and I...This is our new challenge, haha.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

Last Dec was our first trip with DD, then 11 months.

We had to realize we were not going to be able to go on EVERY ride or do the whole park in the amt of time we used to.
You have to plan for unscheduled stops and detours. For example your one year old may want to spend 45 min looking at the ducks in the pond or the flowers in the garden.

My DD was terrified of the characters at that age, so don't force it.

Make sure you take some snacks, we love the baby food pouches that don't need to be refrigerated.

Just understand it's hard to plan with a one year old bc they are so unpredictable- at least mine was.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
minijenny
always dreaming

My absolute favorite Disney trip ever was last October taking DS for his first birthday. Everything was slow paced, calm and so much fun. I was expecting some major meltdowns because of the heat or the crowds, but DS just loves people watching so WDW was great for him. Plus the weather fully cooperated with us- not too hot and no rain.

We did take a lightweight stroller with us, which was sometimes useful, but mostly DS toddled around or rode in the baby pack. I strongly recommend taking a baby carrier (I LOVE my Beco) because holding a wiggly baby who's eager to touch everything in sight is tiring even when the queue is only 5 min. Also, when I had him strapped in facing forward, I never had to remove him on any of the rides. The lap bars just went straight down over his legs and we could enjoy the rides without worrying about him jumping out.

Another bonus for the carriers is that if he was getting ready for a nap, I would strap him in, walk around for a few minutes until he conked out and then we could catch a gentle ride or show. He conveniently slept through Mickey's Philharmagic, Reflections of China, Muppets 3D, Ellen's Energy Adventures, and POTC. He was not a fan of our first POTC ride-thru.

Baby Care Centers are wonderful, but don't worry if you need to change the baby and don't want to trek across the park looking for one. The bathrooms are fine and I never waited to use the changing tables, even when it was pretty crowded.

His favorites were The Land, IASW, Flights of Wonder, Grand Fiesta Tour, Stepping Tones (in Imagination) and hanging out in Liberty Square touching all the pumpkins. Toddlers are great at Disney. Just remember they don't need to (and likely don't want to) see everything. If they find something they love, let them explore and enjoy. Those are the moments you will remember the most.
minijenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Sparrow624

Awesome advice! Especially the carrier, never would have thought of that.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

I suggest that you get a tie that connects her sippy, bottle, whatever to her stroller. You can get them for cheap at Babies R Us. Anyway, we used that last time we went with our 9 month old and it was a GODSEND... no more chasing cups as they roll down the middle of Main Street because he thought it was funny! Or just because they can fall out from time to time.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

Milk??

I'm wondering about getting Milk ??

we are staying at the AofA resort and wondering if you can get 1/2 gallon jugs to keep in the room fridge...

I know there are stores that will deliver stuff but that makes me nervous and then you have to be there to get it...

Does anyone know if you can take an electric pump as carryon onto the plane??

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We have milk delivered from Garden Grocer. You can buy it all over WDW, but it can be pretty expensive to buy the individual cartons. If you do have it delivered, Garden Grocer will generally drop it off at Bell Services before you arrive and you just pick it up at check-in. Does A0A have mini fridges? You will have to keep it cold.

Yes, you can take a pump on as a carry on. I have several times.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
We have milk delivered from Garden Grocer. You can buy it all over WDW, but it can be pretty expensive to buy the individual cartons. If you do have it delivered, Garden Grocer will generally drop it off at Bell Services before you arrive and you just pick it up at check-in. Does A0A have mini fridges? You will have to keep it cold.

Yes, you can take a pump on as a carry on. I have several times.
yes there will be a fridge

With the delivery of stuff from a grocery how do they keep the milk cold at bell services?? we aren't getting into MCO until 6:30pm so it would be late check in. How does that work with the grocery delivery and perishables ??

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpettie View Post
yes there will be a fridge

With the delivery of stuff from a grocery how do they keep the milk cold at bell services?? we aren't getting into MCO until 6:30pm so it would be late check in. How does that work with the grocery delivery and perishables ??
All the resorts have walk in fridges where your milk etc., will be kept. We have taken the last flight out due to weather and everything was perfect.
No worries.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

My DD turned 1 the week before we went, in May. My tips are to bring a sling. I was able to use it to get her to sleep if she was really fussy, or nurse with it, or even just holding her in line. There were several rides that she slept thru in the sling. For food, make sure you pack plenty of snacks. I had some of the freeze dried apples w/ Disney charcters on the package that were a big hit for her. Otherwise she just ate some of whatever I was eating. I had a good bib, and also the disposable bibs. I would take one change of clothes, diapers and wipes, try to keep the amount of stuff you pack in and out down if possible (we also took drinks and snacks in each time). I just used a backpack instead of a diaper bag, there were more pockets and you could organize it better. We didn't do any ADRs b/c I wasn't sure how she would hold up, and I wanted to be able to eat QS when she needed to. We didn't stay on-site, so we just ate a couple of meals at Disney anyway, we ate mostly at the house. Early starts were important for us, and getting everyone in bed early so we could get up the next morning. WE only stayed late one night to was fireworks over the castle, the other nights we had the kids in bed by 8-9, and were always up early the next morning.

Allow for plenty of downtime, keep your priorities straight (have FUN, no schedule), make a loose list of things you'd like to do in each park, and just try to hit those handful of items.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: