Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I've heard parking is pretty good there

Here's the way to fix your problem. Tell your DH that you'll do all the driving.

It's win win, either he'll let you drive and you get your shopping in, or you'll pick up your car, and he'll realise that he's being a girl, and he'll drive
Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

It's also very close to pinks hot dogs ! LA's best dogs.
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
We are staying in Santa Monica and I am wondering the same thing. I haven't organised any transport for the days we go right into hollywood, farmer's markets etc. Would love to know how parking goes as far as going right into the thick of things like the walk of fame, markets etc. I have heard that parking is almost impossible, I have no idea how we are going to get around!
Go early to the Farmer's Market. There is parking.

As for the rest of Hollywood and around Grauman's...we've been pretty lucky each time. We've managed to find street parking fairly close by.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
kitsch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
We are staying in Santa Monica and I am wondering the same thing. I haven't organised any transport for the days we go right into hollywood, farmer's markets etc. Would love to know how parking goes as far as going right into the thick of things like the walk of fame, markets etc. I have heard that parking is almost impossible, I have no idea how we are going to get around!
You should not have much trouble.

There's the Hollywood & Highland shopping centres with tons of underground parking. http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/directions-parking

As for the Farmers Market, I would just park at the Grove (a shopping centre next to the market that's connect via a trolly). They have a 7 story parking structure, so you should not have any trouble finding a space.

http://www.thegrovela.com/parking.php
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Thanks that sounds a little easier than I thought. Fingers crossed DH handles the driving and parking ok, he is a fairly aggressive driver! Is it hard to navigate your way around?

JessNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #21
Beee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust View Post
Now husband has chickened out about driving in LA
same here, the Mr is a chicken about driving in LA and I can't drive due to health reasons so I've suggested seeing as we've never been to the US before that he could change his mind once we get there and he sees what it is like. I figure seeing as we weren't planning on hiring a car until the last 3 days we'll have some time for him to get a feel for things and can probably still book a reasonable deal online a couple of days beforehand. I've booked a hotel in hollywood close to public transport with free parking so we're covered either way, and I guess we'll get a taxi into LA from DL - haven't really figured that out yet...I'm really hoping I'll be able to coerce him into renting a car I have looked at public transport into LA and it really seems like a PITA and will take a fair chunk of time, times that by 2 if you a doing the round trip - If you REALLY want to go to the grove I'd probably suck up the extra cost to hire a town car or something along those lines

Oh yes and all of a sudden he is full of ideas for what he wants to do - I guess I should be grateful that it is 2.5 months out not 2.5 weeks.

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Aust
DIS Veteran

Well I have admitted (temporary) defeat - I ordered my daughter's American Girl online last night, to be delivered to the hotel. Which is not nearly the same as going there, but still. I'm still hoping to convince my husband to drive - hopefully he'll change his mind and we can still go. (and hopefully just window shop at American Girl as I've already spent a fortune!!)
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
battymum
DIS Veteran

Why do we all expect the DH's to do the driving?
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Why do we all expect the DH's to do the driving?
Hubby is the aggresive driver in our family , I would probably end up a wreck on the roads of LA. Then again between his road rage and what I have heard about drivers and aggresion in LA this could get interesting

JessNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #25
Aust
DIS Veteran

Because I'm more scared than him!! And he always picks on my driving, thinks I can't merge (this harks back to almost 20 years ago when I was a learner), thinks I give way too much, and am not aggressive enough.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #26
battymum
DIS Veteran

Leave him and the little one back at the resort - take the girls shopping you will be so proud of yourself!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #27
battymum
DIS Veteran

On that note, dd went for her driving test today and failed - she is gutted!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #28
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

I feel bad for your DD battymum. Its so much harder to pass first go compared to 6 years ago when I did mine. My brother goes for his tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to his mood if he fails

Penrith RTA? I'm sure you've mentioned Penrith before lol thats were my brother is off to whereas I got mine back when St Clair was open. So much easier to drive an area your really familiar with
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
battymum
DIS Veteran

Yeah it was Penrith - we live very close - she is very familiar with the area - just too nervous - to the point of almost vomiting! Her biggest error was turning left from the centre of the road, where there were no lanes marked. Jamison Road, near KFC, turning left onto Mulgoa Road.

I have never seen her so upset - although she picked up later in the day. She has booked again for October 2.

Good luck to your brother - apparently one of the testers there is notoriously tough (DD didnt have her) .

Sorry for the thread hijack Aust!

Last edited by battymum; 09-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
battymum
DIS Veteran

Hey, look at all our tickers - they are all the same except for the marker!

Although mine is a lot further away from the castle than the other two!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: