Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allysmom1218 View Post
Wow, Amazon just announced the the Kindle Fire is now available for $159. Now I can buy my DD something else for Xmas with the extra $40. Amazon held a press conference today and they announced some new Kindle products also!!
I'd use the $40 for an Amazon gift card. She's immediately going to want to buy books and so forth to download to her new toy.

Also, unless you wouldn't be upset about her ruining her Kindle, budget in a protective case. It seems that all the adult Kindle readers I know have cases, whereas kids don't use them . . . and I know several kids who've ruined their Kindles through carelesness. A good case could've prevented these tragedies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
Sweet! DD13 is supposed to "bring her own technology" to school this year so I was trying to figure out what to buy. (don't even get me started on how ridiculous it is to begin with!)
Our school isn't doing this yet, but the concept is being tested in a number of nearby schools.

I think you have the concept twisted a bit: "It's not you must bring your own technology because we're not providing anything". Rather, it's "You may bring your own technology, if you own it and are more comfortable using an item with which you're familiar." Schools are adding iPad carts, netbook carts, etc. at a rapid rate. Schools are opening up to the idea of allowing students to bring their own novels on e-readers, iPads, or smart phones. But many students prefer to use their own stuff, and bringing their own means that they don't have to share or have access for half the class period.

Teachers HATE this whole idea. First, there's the blatant fact that our teens aren't nearly so tech-saavy as they (and their parents) think they are, and we're not all prepared to trouble-shoot half a dozen different electronic gadgets (of varying ages and models); it's much easier for us to use an iPad cart, where everyone has the very same items -- and ahead of time we can run through the lesson on THE MACHINE that every student will use. Then, although we cannot be responsible for what kids have in their bookbags, it's going to come out being our fault when Susie's iPad disappears from her backpack while she goes to the restroom or when Johnny's iPhone is taken from his desk while he is returning a book to the back shelf. Also, we can't monitor it. If I take my class to the computer lab, the computers are set up so that all the screens are visible -- I can see if someone's made it through the firescreen to something inappropriate. In contast, I cannot be everywhere in a room with 35 kids, so I'll never know if the kid in the back is surfing Facebook instead of reading the learn-your-state-capitals website to which I've directed him. When he sees me heading towards the back, he can easily click in and out of the appropriate website.

Personally, if we do move to this system at our school, I won't allow my daughter to bring my iPad to school. I trust her entirely, but I can't expect her to be anything except 15 years old. An iPad is a highly steal-able item, and it only takes a moment for another kid with nepharious intentions to distract her for a moment -- she is naive enough to think it's okay to leave an expensive item on her desk while she walks to the teacher's desk. I'm not willing to put myself in the position of being without it, nor her in the position of feeling awful for having lost it.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post

Also, unless you wouldn't be upset about her ruining her Kindle, budget in a protective case. It seems that all the adult Kindle readers I know have cases, whereas kids don't use them . . . and I know several kids who've ruined their Kindles through carelesness. A good case could've prevented these tragedies. .
Great advice, case is so important. Some stores have them , at least for the Fire I bought last Feb, but I ended up ordering one off the Amazon site and saved a couple bucks...
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
I'd use the $40 for an Amazon gift card. She's immediately going to want to buy books and so forth to download to her new toy.

Also, unless you wouldn't be upset about her ruining her Kindle, budget in a protective case. It seems that all the adult Kindle readers I know have cases, whereas kids don't use them . . . and I know several kids who've ruined their Kindles through carelesness. A good case could've prevented these tragedies. Our school isn't doing this yet, but the concept is being tested in a number of nearby schools.

I think you have the concept twisted a bit: "It's not you must bring your own technology because we're not providing anything". Rather, it's "You may bring your own technology, if you own it and are more comfortable using an item with which you're familiar." Schools are adding iPad carts, netbook carts, etc. at a rapid rate. Schools are opening up to the idea of allowing students to bring their own novels on e-readers, iPads, or smart phones. But many students prefer to use their own stuff, and bringing their own means that they don't have to share or have access for half the class period.

Teachers HATE this whole idea. First, there's the blatant fact that our teens aren't nearly so tech-saavy as they (and their parents) think they are, and we're not all prepared to trouble-shoot half a dozen different electronic gadgets (of varying ages and models); it's much easier for us to use an iPad cart, where everyone has the very same items -- and ahead of time we can run through the lesson on THE MACHINE that every student will use. Then, although we cannot be responsible for what kids have in their bookbags, it's going to come out being our fault when Susie's iPad disappears from her backpack while she goes to the restroom or when Johnny's iPhone is taken from his desk while he is returning a book to the back shelf. Also, we can't monitor it. If I take my class to the computer lab, the computers are set up so that all the screens are visible -- I can see if someone's made it through the firescreen to something inappropriate. In contast, I cannot be everywhere in a room with 35 kids, so I'll never know if the kid in the back is surfing Facebook instead of reading the learn-your-state-capitals website to which I've directed him. When he sees me heading towards the back, he can easily click in and out of the appropriate website.

Personally, if we do move to this system at our school, I won't allow my daughter to bring my iPad to school. I trust her entirely, but I can't expect her to be anything except 15 years old. An iPad is a highly steal-able item, and it only takes a moment for another kid with nepharious intentions to distract her for a moment -- she is naive enough to think it's okay to leave an expensive item on her desk while she walks to the teacher's desk. I'm not willing to put myself in the position of being without it, nor her in the position of feeling awful for having lost it.
You are right, they are not "req'd" to bring their own, but highly encouraged t do so. Her school does not have any that they may borrow for use in class. We live in a district where many many people have more money than they know what to do with, so most kids are bringing Mac books and iPads. Of course that leaves my kid as the oddball out. Apparently they are even taking tests on them. Ashlyn had to take her's on paper. She says she was the only kid doing so. That could either be dramatized or factual, I don't know. Either way, I think it is ridiculous. There should either be an iPad cart or no iPads at all.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

My replacement Kindle is supposed to be here on Tuesday so I will let you all know what model it is. I am assuming that they would have just replace my Kindle (Fire, original) with the same model, but if they don't have any anymore.....what the heck will I be getting?
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurcomputer
My replacement Kindle is supposed to be here on Tuesday so I will let you all know what model it is. I am assuming that they would have just replace my Kindle (Fire, original) with the same model, but if they don't have any anymore.....what the heck will I be getting?
I'd guess a refurbished original Fire.

As for cases, definitely shop around. Amazon doesn't always have the best selection. We''ve purchased cases from Amazon, Target, Oberon, Best Buy, and even eBay. By far, the most affordable ones came from eBay. My daughter's cheapie eBay case has held up just as well as our name brand ones.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
I'd guess a refurbished original Fire.

As for cases, definitely shop around. Amazon doesn't always have the best selection. We''ve purchased cases from Amazon, Target, Oberon, Best Buy, and even eBay. By far, the most affordable ones came from eBay. My daughter's cheapie eBay case has held up just as well as our name brand ones.

I recieved a new Kindle Fire, just like I had, not a refurb. I am thinking that they held some back for replacement
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Hurry up! My birthday present happens to be the new Kindle Fire HD.

Make the time go by faster!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
JaymeC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
Yay!

We're planning on getting DD an inexpensive tablet for her birthday; she'll be 4. Would the Fire be good for her or another brand of tablet better? We have Prime so that's why I was considering the Fire.
My kids were 5 and 6 when we got the kindle fire, and honestly I think it's become more their toy than ours at this point. We have Prime too, so they can watch the cartoons they're allowed to watch on prime and play their games. One thing I'll warn you about is some of the ads on some games pop up with youtube links. I don't mind the youtube ad videos, but of course from there if you keep clicking, well you know the kind of stuff you can find on the web. It sounds like the new fire will have better parental controls, so we may upgrade just for that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: