Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

We thought the food was fantastic! The only downfall was that their portions were small. (And I'm not a huge eater and I still walked away hungry.)

So GREAT food, SMALL portions, and a somewhat high price tag. We'd go back...we'd just eat a BIG lunch that day.

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
We love Mexican food - all kinds (authentic to Taco Bell), but we didn't like it at all. We had the two large platters, shared between the 4 of us. There was very little we enjoyed - corn & steak only. It all had a VERY strong smoky taste.

But dessert was fantastic!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards
My husband and I got the "big" platter for 2 as well...although we thought the food was fantastic. However, I 100% agree it was not nearly enough food. They gave us 4 "small" (I think 4 or 5 inch) tortilla's. So, 2 per person? Not enough food. I gave my husband 3 (he is a big eater) and I took 1. The platter was $50 or so (supposed to be shared by 2. BOTH me and my DH were starving when the meal was over. We went right from there to the France Bakery and got sandwiches immediately afterwards.

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I am not a huge fan of Mexican cuisine, and will usually go out of my way to avoid Tex Mex. We are definitely not fans of San Angel. So I was actually very surprised at how much we both enjoyed our meal at La Hacienda. We found the service to be attentive without being obtrusive and the quality of all of the dishes was excellent. While it is true that the portions are not huge as at many of the Disney restaurants, we actually enjoyed the sensation of leaving the restaurant full but not overfull. We certainly didn't leave hungry by any means. We would eat there again any time.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
amberpi
DIS Veteran

We've been 3 times, the first time, was within a month or so of opening and it was great! Very fresh, and everything was high quality. The last 2 times were horrible (the second time we thought might be a fluke so we went back again on our Memorial Day trip). The chips were stale, the sauces were like bbq or something, they were out of all the good tequilas and the mixed grill was not nearly as good as what I can make at home...I was very disappointed. I think they may have dumbed this down since opening and I'm sorely disappointed.

The food at San Angel is a bit better (although we always go during lunch - note La Hacienda is not open for lunch, so you could be eating at like Blue Zoo or V&A when you are there, its less of an issue for me if lunch is just meh then dinner - so I usually just get an app and something yummy to drink) but the atmosphere there is SO MUCH BETTER. I'm good with sub par food at the SAI due to the surroundings. La Hacienda is like eating at Chili's...just my take. I'm not actually as critical as the above sounds, but man, they blew us out of the water and then ruined it, that's the worst

No matter what, enjoy your trip!
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Oh, I will say that I disagree with the PPs regarding the quantity. We've done the mixed grill for 2 and it was WAY more food than DH and I could eat. We also changed the chorizo for the shrimp, I think it was an upcharge (?), which was the highlight of the dish. I can't speak for the plated dishes however...
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We went there last year and enjoyed it. We had the avocado margarita that is delish, and shared some apps (not on DDP). The Queso Fundido was good but very rich (basically melted cheese that hardened quickly), the botana was a great sampling, but the star was the black bean soup, Sopa de Frijol, which my DH fought me for, even though he usually doesn't like black beans.

We would go back.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I think it's worth a try if you like Mexican food. Both La Hacienda and San Angel try for a more native Mexican approach so they tend to turn a lot of people off even some of those that say they love Mexican. I personally like both and make it a point to eat at one or both on each trip. The food at La Hacienda actually had a little kick to it which you'll never find at Chillis or most well known Mexican chains.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: