Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Howdy Y'all!

We just booked this cruise. We were on the 2012 Thanksgiving cruise, but switched to this one when we saw the new itineraries. I am sooo excited about this new itinerary. And to make things even better, we will be in WDW on my birthday!!! (which is one of the main reasons I agreed to pull dd out of school for this cruise.)

We are from the Houston area, and hope to take many cruises out of Galveston. I love being able to cruise from home!!

I see Gina of "welcome the Magic to Galveston" fame is on this cruise. I bet you will be fun to cruise with. Can't wait to meet you on the 22nd.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Howdy Y'all!

We just booked this cruise. We were on the 2012 Thanksgiving cruise, but switched to this one when we saw the new itineraries. I am sooo excited about this new itinerary. And to make things even better, we will be in WDW on my birthday!!! (which is one of the main reasons I agreed to pull dd out of school for this cruise.)

We are from the Houston area, and hope to take many cruises out of Galveston. I love being able to cruise from home!!
I see Gina of "welcome the Magic to Galveston" fame is on this cruise. I bet you will be fun to cruise with. Can't wait to meet you on the 22nd.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Ohmygosh, you're so funny!! I have fun no matter what I do, but especially when it involves Disney and/or cruising. Cruising is like summer camp for grownups to me -- I think that's why I love sea days so much. And being a single parent since my son was 2, cruising has generally been the only time when I've gotten to live like a grownup, lol. You know, have a couple of drinks... get a massage... have conversations not centered around talking trains/Yu-Gi-Oh/guitar pedals (as the years have progressed, lol.)

That is so awesome that we'll be at WDW right on your birthday!!! What perfect timing! My son's birthday is the day after we get back from the cruise. I'm SO excited this year, because for the first time ever, we're going to be someplace Disney right around MY birthday!! We always cruise/go to WDW in February, and DS has always gotten the birthday attention, but we're heading for our first-ever trip to DLR in 23 more days and we'll be there just a few days before my birthday this time. I can't wait!

Have you cruised out of Galveston before? Can you believe we get to go to Castaway Cay AND Disney World??? We're so excited!!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Have you cruised out of Galveston before? Can you believe we get to go to Castaway Cay AND Disney World??? We're so excited!!!
We have not cruised out of Galveston before, but we have taken 2 DCL cruises out of PC. We love DCL! And Castaway Cay is heaven on earth.

Btw, regarding an earlier post, I won a $100 obc at the DVC presentation on our first cruise, and dd won a backpack. They do have some nice give-aways, and free mimosas, at those things. I go every time.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
We have not cruised out of Galveston before, but we have taken 2 DCL cruises out of PC. We love DCL! And Castaway Cay is heaven on earth.

We are spoiled by it now. Drive less than 30 minutes, with all the luggage I feel like bringing, and get right on the ship! No spending a day visiting airports, having to get a hotel the night before, waiting for the busses to get you to the port, none of that. Just in your living room one minute, and having a drink on deck the next. Or at least it feels that way.

Quote:
Btw, regarding an earlier post, I won a $100 obc at the DVC presentation on our first cruise, and dd won a backpack. They do have some nice give-aways, and free mimosas, at those things. I go every time.

Well, I think I might just have to attend this time!! You had me at "free mimosas."

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)

Last edited by Gina; 09-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
kreedham
Mouseketeer

Parking and Hotel

We'll be coming from Georgia. In PC we stay at CI & S where they have cruise parking! Anybody know about "cruise" parking for Galveston and a good place to stay the night before! Thanks

There are 4 of us from Georgia, my wife and I and our 2 sons, 1 who will be 12 and the other turns 14 on the 2nd day of the cruise!

Last edited by kreedham; 10-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.
kreedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
betsy2010
Earning My Ears

Kids Sail Free available on 02/15/13 Magic from Galveston

Hi All,
I just rebooked on this date and saved $1k (even after taking into account our OBC & 10% off!) I would jump on it. I tried calling but was on hold so logged in and went the 'modify' route - entered "KFO" for the offer code and voila - same cabin, same everything but $1k less! Good luck!
betsy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
LadyMac428
Dreaming of Family time on The Magic!

I think we will be joining you! We've booked through the "kids sail free" so I hope to see you in February!
Disneyland 2006, Disneyland 2007, Disney World 2008, Disney World 2010, Disney Wonder 2011, Disney Wonder 2012, Disneyland 2012, Disneyland 2013, Disney Fantasy...2013, and Disney Magic 2014! Give-a-day, Get-a-day Volunteer
LadyMac428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

We just switched from the June 1st Med cruise to this one. Took advantage of the the kids sail free offer also, even though only one of our 3 kids will be free. The cruise itself is the same price as the 7 day Mediterranean, but the entire Med vacation was adding up to over $10,000 for our family of 5...not an option for us.

I can't believe how quiet this thread is! No wonder they opened up kids sail free! Anyway, it will be Myself(Andrea), my DH(Ryan) and our 3 DD's, Ashley, Riley and Bailey, 18, 13, and 8. We haven't told the kids yet, not sure how they are going to take it since we booked the Mediterranean the day it opened up and have been talking about it a lot. I think we will sell them on going to CC and WDW, plus one extra night on the ship wont hurt. And, they wont be missing that much school since they have the week of Presidents day off. They are just as addicted to DCL as I am, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My brother and his family should be going with us also. So this thread should be growing...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Just rebooked ours as well! We lost the 10% and the onboard credit from booking on our last cruise but we saved about $1100 so it was definitely worth it! I'll use that as my new onboard credit! Vista Spa, here I come!!!!! :-D

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!

Wow, this really is a quiet thread....
We have always done our DCL cruises out of PC and have our system down there, ie where to stay, transportation etc. Galveston is new to us, I'm already running into car rental issues, it's way more expensive than PC and there is only 1 company to choose from. Any one have any recommendations of where to stay the night before? We are a family of 5, so bigger rooms are helpful.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post
Wow, this really is a quiet thread....
We have always done our DCL cruises out of PC and have our system down there, ie where to stay, transportation etc. Galveston is new to us, I'm already running into car rental issues, it's way more expensive than PC and there is only 1 company to choose from. Any one have any recommendations of where to stay the night before? We are a family of 5, so bigger rooms are helpful.
I'm really spoiled because although I live in San Antonio now, I have family to stay with in Houston so we won't be getting a hotel or rental car. I would suggest looking for rooms in Houston, though. Even from Spring, where my dad lives (a suburb north of Houston), it's only an hour and a half drive to Galveston with traffic. Even though there is ALWAYS traffic in Houston, you could sleep late and still make it to the port plenty early. You'll get much better rates than if you try to find something on the island (or near).

Also, not sure where you're coming from but you might consider just hiring a town car or limo if you're flying into Intercontinental. It's not too far from Galveston so it should still be less than a rental car for 8 days and parking. If you're flying into Hobby it might be cost prohibitive just because it's farther away.

Ok, not sure how much this helped. Hopefully a little!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!

Thank you KPetty725...I think we might look into the limo option. We are coming from CA and my brother and his family will be meeting up with us at IAH, they are coming from Boston...it might work if we can split the cost of a limo with them. If we get a limo we will probably stay near the airport, for cheaper hotels, and a longer limo ride.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
FloridaFun
Mouseketeer

Count is in too! We just finished the reservations this morning. We have all boys. 2 are close to the ages of DisMom73's kids as my older ones are 12 and 10 and my youngest is close to KPetty725's kids as he is 5.

To join in the onboard birthday celebrations, we have my husband's on the 17th on one of our sea days.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and metting all of you on the 15th of February.

Beth
FloridaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFun View Post
Count is in too! We just finished the reservations this morning. We have all boys. 2 are close to the ages of DisMom73's kids as my older ones are 12 and 10 and my youngest is close to KPetty725's kids as he is 5.

To join in the onboard birthday celebrations, we have my husband's on the 17th on one of our sea days.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and metting all of you on the 15th of February.

Beth
Welcome Beth
My nephew will be on this cruise as well and he is 10. My SIL should be chiming in anytime now....(where are you Laura?) They booked the same day we did.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
wdrl
DIS Veteran

My wife and I just booked this cruise earlier this week. Although we've cruised many times before on other cruise lines, this will be our first time on DCL.

We live about an hour's drive from Galveston, so we don't have to worry about flights or overnight hotel stays. Hobby Airport (HOU) is on the south end of Houston and closer to Galveston than Bush (IAH). For those needing transportation to the pier, you might consider scheduling a van from Supershuttle. Its rates are reasonable and you have some flexibility in scheduling pick up times and where you want to be picked up from (airport, hotel, home).

I called DCL today to straighten out our online registration. While on the phone, I asked a question about the 1-day Parkhopper Pass we get while in Port Canaveral. We have Annual Passes and I asked if we could save the 1-day PH to use on another trip. Unfortunately, the 1-day PH we get on the cruise is "use or lose it"; it can't be saved and applied to another ticket or annual pass.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: