Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Becgaz
Mouseketeer

Driving in France

I've just been reading the driving in France sticky and it says you need headlight/ beam converters, is this the case still? If so what on earth are they?!
I know we need a warning triangle, hi vis vest, breathalyser and replacement bulbs too.
Will we also need a copy of our insurance certificate?
Thanks for any help! X
Becgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer

Yes, you will need insurance certificate and the v5 for your car.

The headlight converters are stickers that go on your headlights to alter the beam, so you don't dazzle oncoming traffic as you are on the 'wrong' side of the road. I got them in halfords, but you an get them anywhere like that. I think they were about five pounds?

1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Jules1212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becgaz View Post
I've just been reading the driving in France sticky and it says you need headlight/ beam converters, is this the case still? If so what on earth are they?!
I know we need a warning triangle, hi vis vest, breathalyser and replacement bulbs too.
Will we also need a copy of our insurance certificate?
Thanks for any help! X
Some cars (like mine) have a switch where you can convert the beam, but otherwise just pop into Halfords as suggested.

You will also need to carry BOTH parts of your driving licence with you as well as the V5 and insurance. It is worth noting that it is not enough to carry a hi vis vest - you need one for each person in the car and they must be carried in the main body of the vehicle - NOT the boot. You will also need to carry a first aid kit too. Don't forget a GB sticker unless you have one of the newer number plates with the EU stars logo.

I always make sure I have a little purse with small notes and change in for any tolls.

We thoroughly enjoy driving in France as it is more pleasant and much less stressful than in the UK.

Jules1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules1212 View Post
Some cars (like mine) have a switch where you can convert the beam, but otherwise just pop into Halfords as suggested.

You will also need to carry BOTH parts of your driving licence with you as well as the V5 and insurance. It is worth noting that it is not enough to carry a hi vis vest - you need one for each person in the car and they must be carried in the main body of the vehicle - NOT the boot. You will also need to carry a first aid kit too. Don't forget a GB sticker unless you have one of the newer number plates with the EU stars logo.

I always make sure I have a little purse with small notes and change in for any tolls.

We thoroughly enjoy driving in France as it is more pleasant and much less stressful than in the UK.
France is still only a Hi-Vis for the driver - it doesn't hurt to have one pp but it is not the law unlike Spain

Remember also to turn off the radar location/locating device on your GPS as you are passable to a 1500€ fine

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
angel_nix
DIS Veteran

Our road maps have the speed cameras marked on - is it ok to have them in the car do you know?

Me ~ Nicky DP ~ Neil DD ~ Lottie (6) DD ~ Milly (2)
angel_nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
JustJonathan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_nix View Post
Our road maps have the speed cameras marked on - is it ok to have them in the car do you know?
When driving in France I always disable these just in-case, would rather be safe than sorry.

Don't forget also to carry a breathaliser kit with you as well as that is now the law.

You can buy beam converters very cheap, or alternatively just use black tape to stop the beam.

Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & two friends (one a first timer!) in February
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (11) at Christmas in December Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me & Mum in June Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2012 - Cast: Me, Mum, Sister and a well-aged friend! at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & A friend's first visit on my first Halloween trip in October!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 5 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (9) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me & Mum for my 24th Birthday in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) in our First Family Trip in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2008 - Cast: Me & Friend in My First Trip in March!
JustJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJonathan View Post
When driving in France I always disable these just in-case, would rather be safe than sorry.

Don't forget also to carry a breathaliser kit with you as well as that is now the law.

You can buy beam converters very cheap, or alternatively just use black tape to stop the beam.
The breathaliser kits - as you mus have 2 of them - are not subjet to a fine before the 1st of Nov so if you haven't got one this time don't worry.... we haven't yet as OH's employeur has not received their order

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
angel_nix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJonathan View Post

I should've been clearer, we're primative and still use paper!

Me ~ Nicky DP ~ Neil DD ~ Lottie (6) DD ~ Milly (2)
angel_nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Becgaz
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everybody's help! I think we'll be making a trip to halfords at the weekend!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
markpsych
DIS Veteran

Not sure how soon you need them, but they're much cheaper via ebay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_so...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165458
markpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Becgaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpsych
Thanks! I'm about to order them via eBay! We've got 11 days- not that I'm counting!! 😉
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
markpsych
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becgaz View Post
Thanks! I'm about to order them via eBay! We've got 11 days- not that I'm counting!! 😉
Have a fantastic time
markpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Mrs Stonfiesta
My name is Julie and i am a bread roll "borrower"

We go in 11 days as well, might see you on the road
Dec 1992 ~ WDW Florida, May 1999 ~ WDW Florida, Mar 2003 ~ Hotel Santa Fe, Mar 2005 ~ Cheyenne, July 2005 ~ Cheyenne, Feb 2006 ~ All-Star Sports, May 2006 ~ Sequoia Lodge, Sept 2006 ~ Cheyenne, Dec 2006 ~ Cheyenne, Jan 2007 ~ All Star Sports, Sept 2007~ Santa Fe, Nov 2007 ~ Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2008 ~ All Star Sports, May 2008~ Davy Crockett Ranch, Sept 2008 ~ Hotel New York, Dec 2008 ~ Cheyenne, March 2009 ~ Disneyland Hotel, April 2009 ~ Cheyenne, February 2010 ~ Port Orleans Riverside,Sept 2010 ~ Davy Crockett Ranch, Dec 2010 ~ Sequoia Lodge, May 2011 ~ Port Orleans Riverside, Sept 2011 ~ Newport Bay Club,, Jan 2012 ~ Port Orleans Riverside

Mrs Stonfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Becgaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Stonfiesta
We go in 11 days as well, might see you on the road
how are you crossing? We're on the 4:20 ferry, think we may regret that one when we're sat in cafe mickey and the kids are bouncing off the walls!! I may take up drinking coffee! x
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Mrs Stonfiesta
My name is Julie and i am a bread roll "borrower"

We used our tesco vouchers for the eurotunnel, that way dd (who was 3 sunday) stays in her car seat and will hopefully sleep a fair bot of the way as we wont have to move her out of the car seat unless she needs the toilet! She did really well last year but was still in nappies so i am unsure how many stops we will need to make (normally dont stop) so i am limiting water until we get there . So looking forward to it an hoping for good weather
Dec 1992 ~ WDW Florida, May 1999 ~ WDW Florida, Mar 2003 ~ Hotel Santa Fe, Mar 2005 ~ Cheyenne, July 2005 ~ Cheyenne, Feb 2006 ~ All-Star Sports, May 2006 ~ Sequoia Lodge, Sept 2006 ~ Cheyenne, Dec 2006 ~ Cheyenne, Jan 2007 ~ All Star Sports, Sept 2007~ Santa Fe, Nov 2007 ~ Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2008 ~ All Star Sports, May 2008~ Davy Crockett Ranch, Sept 2008 ~ Hotel New York, Dec 2008 ~ Cheyenne, March 2009 ~ Disneyland Hotel, April 2009 ~ Cheyenne, February 2010 ~ Port Orleans Riverside,Sept 2010 ~ Davy Crockett Ranch, Dec 2010 ~ Sequoia Lodge, May 2011 ~ Port Orleans Riverside, Sept 2011 ~ Newport Bay Club,, Jan 2012 ~ Port Orleans Riverside

Mrs Stonfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: