Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer
 
IsobelJackmummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wirral
Posts: 461

Disability/easy pass?

Hi, our son has autism, which as he is getting older is getting more difficult to manage.

On previous trips we have avoided large queues as he would have a complete meltdown, but I have read recently about the passes that Disney issue, I wasn't aware of them before, and when he was younger things were easier anyway.

I was wondering what experience of these people have, and do you think he would be entitled to a pass?

What would we need to take with us to get one?

Also, would all of us be able to use it with him, we are a family of four, and it would also cause him distress if we had to split up to go on rides.

Thanks for any advise or shared experience you may have
__________________
Toria



1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Hipster Meg
Mouseketeer
 
Hipster Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 331

I've been looking into this myself as our son has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism. The official website has this to say about disabilities. I *think* autism would be classed as a mental disability - not really very accurate but the closest there is on the list. So he might be able to get a pass that will let him skip queues for rides. I think you need some sort of evidence from your doctor. We had a similar pass when we went to Legoland a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing.
__________________


http://roadtowdw.blogspot.co.uk/ My blog about planning our Disney trip (and other random stuff)
Hipster Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
scampbunny
The most fab of surprises!
doesnt take much to set me off when its about dlrp
It's emma's fault
 
scampbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Derbyshire
Posts: 2,076

hiya
yes, u wud b entitled, and it wud be categorised as mental deficiency (lovely lol)
u need a drs letter detailing his problems and this needs to b within 3 months of ur trip - u can use a blue badge, but for autism this really doesnt say alot lol

there will be rides that u cannot 'queue jump' such as parachute drop and rc racer (off the top of my head) but most u can bypass the queues - sometimes u get a time to come back tho...

u 'shud' b ok as a family of 4 - this wud depend on how busy and the cms filling the form out - but usually they dont split up families...

hth
__________________




June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights
Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Sept 2012 - Day trip!!
Feb 2014 - Hotel Cheyenne 4 nights
scampbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer
 
IsobelJackmummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wirral
Posts: 461

Thank you, didn't realise we could do the same in legoland too, we're off there in October! Can I ask what you had to do there to get it? Thanks for your help.
__________________
Toria



1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer
 
IsobelJackmummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wirral
Posts: 461

Thanks nikki
__________________
Toria



1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Vala
DIS Veteran
 
Vala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,457

You will be okay with a family of 4. I think I have one of the most recent issued passes and mine says I can bring 4 people with me. The only time they ever questioned that was in the Dreams special area, but that was during Bastille Day so the rules may have been different there.
__________________
I've been BOO'd by fairykin!
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Hipster Meg
Mouseketeer
 
Hipster Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsobelJackmummy View Post
Thank you, didn't realise we could do the same in legoland too, we're off there in October! Can I ask what you had to do there to get it? Thanks for your help.

We took a recent letter from our pedeatrician with us which outlined DS's condition and took it to the customer services window just past the main gates. They gave DS a red hand stamp and the rest of us black stamps. You were allowed up to 4 black stamps to 1 red one but only 3 people with black stamps were allowed on with a red stamp at one time. Wasn't a problem with us as there were only the four of us but could be an issue with a bigger party. We were given a booklet telling us where to go with the stamps for each ride, usually the ride exit. It came in so handy, we were there on the last saturday of the summer holidays and the queues for some of the more popular rides were 2 hours long
__________________


http://roadtowdw.blogspot.co.uk/ My blog about planning our Disney trip (and other random stuff)
Hipster Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer
 
IsobelJackmummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wirral
Posts: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Meg View Post
We took a recent letter from our pedeatrician with us which outlined DS's condition and took it to the customer services window just past the main gates. They gave DS a red hand stamp and the rest of us black stamps. You were allowed up to 4 black stamps to 1 red one but only 3 people with black stamps were allowed on with a red stamp at one time. Wasn't a problem with us as there were only the four of us but could be an issue with a bigger party. We were given a booklet telling us where to go with the stamps for each ride, usually the ride exit. It came in so handy, we were there on the last saturday of the summer holidays and the queues for some of the more popular rides were 2 hours long
Thank you!
__________________
Toria



1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Brummig
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 190

We have used the system several times. Our son has autism too. You need a letter from GP or consultant dated in the last 3 months detailing the nature of disability and why they can't queue. They now have lots of different categories of disability, and the pass is marked up according to what help you need, eg wheelchair access, deaf, 'mental disability', so they may ask for more than DLA letter as this doesn't provide detail.
They have had a lot of changes to the system at the start of this year, and when we went were still ironing out some of the detail, but generally its great. You sometimes have to wait, but normallly not more than 10 minutes, and generally you wait somewhere not as crowded. In our experience the CMs have been very helpful.
You get the pass from City Hall so go there on arrival, and they will issue one for the duration of your visit. They should ask how many you need it for, so you should be fine for a family of 4. We don't use it all the time, and we also use fast passes (ds loves BTM and would be on all day!), and queue is not too bad, but it is great to have the flexibility.
Brummig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer
 
IsobelJackmummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wirral
Posts: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummig View Post
We have used the system several times. Our son has autism too. You need a letter from GP or consultant dated in the last 3 months detailing the nature of disability and why they can't queue. They now have lots of different categories of disability, and the pass is marked up according to what help you need, eg wheelchair access, deaf, 'mental disability', so they may ask for more than DLA letter as this doesn't provide detail.
They have had a lot of changes to the system at the start of this year, and when we went were still ironing out some of the detail, but generally its great. You sometimes have to wait, but normallly not more than 10 minutes, and generally you wait somewhere not as crowded. In our experience the CMs have been very helpful.
You get the pass from City Hall so go there on arrival, and they will issue one for the duration of your visit. They should ask how many you need it for, so you should be fine for a family of 4. We don't use it all the time, and we also use fast passes (ds loves BTM and would be on all day!), and queue is not too bad, but it is great to have the flexibility.
Thank you
__________________
Toria



1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.