Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Yes - ever since the entrance to, and exit from, the stretching room were made wheelchair-accessible, their official policy is that everyone has to go through the same way, and only after that do wheelchairs and ECV's go out to the exit area to load.

However, that obviously doesn't meet everybody's needs, so many CM's will make an exception when asked. The problem seems to be that there either isn't an official policy for making exceptions, or that not all CM's are trained to do so. (Plus my theory about the personalities of many of the CM's who end up assigned there.)
Okay was wondering how they'd work with low vision issues especially in darkened spaces. I assume one should approach the 1st CM they see at the ride?

Wondering as to other changes since last visit. Are there any other rides that have changed procedures since our last visit (early this summer?)

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #32
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Okay was wondering how they'd work with low vision issues especially in darkened spaces. I assume one should approach the 1st CM they see at the ride?
That's what I've done. But it really seemed to be hit or miss whether talking to the CM's actually does any good. It took me literally plowing straight into a wall in an ECV (my normal visual impairment plus a broken foot made it extra challenging) before one CM got it through his head that "business as usual" wasn't going to work for me. And like I mentioned upthread, some of them just didn't want to hear about it.

The only time I managed to get through OK was when I hobbled in on crutches (over the protests of the outside CM telling me to stay in my ECV) with another guest leading me.

EDITED TO ADD:

Three things I should mention, though, because I realize I'm making it sound hopeless:

This was an EXTREMELY busy day in the MK

The CM's are under *enormous* pressure to keep the number of guests they funnel through per hour high

The way the load area is physically set up kind of lends itself to pandemonium, even at the best of times

Last edited by ttintagel; 09-12-2012 at 09:52 AM.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #33
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
That's what I've done. But it really seemed to be hit or miss whether talking to the CM's actually does any good. It took me literally plowing straight into a wall in an ECV (my normal visual impairment plus a broken foot made it extra challenging) before one CM got it through his head that "business as usual" wasn't going to work for me. And like I mentioned upthread, some of them just didn't want to hear about it.

The only time I managed to get through OK was when I hobbled in on crutches (over the protests of the outside CM telling me to stay in my ECV) with another guest leading me.
sorry to hear that. Many people have a visual impairments to the extent where they are legally not permitted to drive at night (even with corrective lenses). Navigating an ECV in low light in unfamiliar area with human obstacles (i.e. disneyworld attractions and even park walkways when crowded) is a scary thought both for the guest in question and those around them. Guess it's something that needs to be addressed with guest services.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink
bolding is mine...
Maybe because they have and Do outsource at busier times. Look I don't want to always argue with you, but again, people are saying these things because they are happening. Just because maybe you didn't see or experience doesn't mean it isn't true or didn't happen. When I was there is July, it was happening. There were buses leaving MK at closing time that had MEARS on the side of them and were being driven by Mears drivers NOT Disney CMs. That was part of MY problem with transportation. We kept having to wait because they kept dispatching Mears buses to our stop and it is against Disney policy for a Mears driver to handle a person on an ECV or in a WC. This was Directly from Transportation dept supervisors (I had a card with a special phone # to call). I talked to them about this issue. When traffic was heavy they did bring in Mears buses/drivers to move people back to resorts faster. So it is (or at least was) happening. We have also encountered this happening on previous trips at DTD. Although on the previous trips they just slid the EVC under the bus. I'm guessing maybe there was an issue and now they won't let Mears handle the "EVC/WC guests" anymore. But it has happened in the past too though not very often. This past trip, It happened almost Every night we left the MK which was Five nights. I guess when I go back in Nov, I need to take a pic of the side of the buses for you to show you because they are Mears buses.
Now this is just a thought on my part, but I am thinking that this may be a cost cutting effort on Disney's part that it is cheaper to 'contract' with Mears to bring in extra buses at busier times and only when there is a heavy need so that they don't have to pay salaries and benefits (deal with workers comp/lay offs/ ins premiums, etc...). I bet it is a LOT cheaper to contract with them for the extra services when they need it than it is to have to pay all of the overhead costs themselves. But that is JMHO on why we sometimes saw Mears buses leaving the parks at closing time taking guests back to POP (and I guess other resorts too...but I can't speak for where else they went, but I do know they did go there!!!)
I wonder why it against Disney policy for mears not to handle ecv I am guessing just in case something happens they have to deal with the complaints. Since near loads wheel chairs for magic express and Disney cruise line.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Sorry you had a bad experience. Surprising I had very few problems this trip. Haunted Mansion the belt was stopped for me although I did have to go through the Stretch room. Did it the day I was with my friend but skipped HM the day I was on my own.
My problem occurred at Studios at the American Idol Show. I got a lot of attitude when I told them I needed the sign language interpreter because I also use a powered wheelchair. I was told that PWC are never allowed in the front. (funny because all the times I have gone before I have been in the front with the interpreter in my PWC. I was even called a liar by a CM as he was lying to me about this.
I finally had to pull the ADA card and remind them that both my needs needed to be addressed and not just 1. I was finally allowed access to the interpreting but it was a hassle.

Only other hassle was at Night of Joy where people who had been at the first show refused to allow me to access the area in front of the interpreters and one CM told me I would just have to watch from the back. Can't read in the interpreters from the back. For the most part couldn't even see them from there. Maureen from Guest Services intervened Friday night and made to CM make room for me to get to a place I could see as long as no one stood. When I asked one man to sit he got nasty with me and told me he had been there since 3 and he was doing me a favor to even let me be there. No, you weren't doing me a favor, your person in a wheelchair was not hearing impaired and did not need to sit right in front of the interpreters and no you weren't there at 3 pm because Disney doesn't even start to set up that area until after the last Move It Shake It parade and clears the area and doesn't open up until 7. Sat night I wasn't able to get anywhere near the interpreters and ended up on the ramp. Not ideal but I could see some of the language and I already knew the lyrics of most of the songs. Problems at Night of Joy were not Disney but guests.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover

Last edited by Talking Hands; 09-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
Sandmanswife9
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david

You mean outsourcing like mears runs the buses that go to the park I wonder why their saying that. The funny thing is this is not the first time heard this that someone posted that their stuff saying mears on the side of the bus which is untrue. Those buss are owned and operated by Disney they are Disney cms Disney post jobs for bus driver all the time.
All I know is that when I called the front desk and spoke to a manager, they told me that they were experiencing difficulties with the service as they had just outsourced it and it would take some time for them to get the dispatching down. They had given me a number to the company and I left a message with another supervisor who called me back and apologized. All I know is that the bus service was absolutely horrible in 2011 no matter what time of the day or night it was. We even took taxi's for some of our dinner reservations to make sure we made them on time.
Sandmanswife9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #37
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmanswife9

All I know is that when I called the front desk and spoke to a manager, they told me that they were experiencing difficulties with the service as they had just outsourced it and it would take some time for them to get the dispatching down. They had given me a number to the company and I left a message with another supervisor who called me back and apologized. All I know is that the bus service was absolutely horrible in 2011 no matter what time of the day or night it was. We even took taxi's for some of our dinner reservations to make sure we made them on time.
Oh okay thanks sorry to hear that but I think the front desk must of meant to say is their having problems with the extra buses they out sourced. Because the regular park buses they have are Disney owned and operated. The extra buses are mears and I think American coach if it very busy because American coach handles their collage program and other cms needing a bus to work from their apartments. But seen some have park names and making stops at resort but not as much as mears.

The best is on another site a awhile ago says the Disney transport buses have mears name on it by the front door. But I have never found a Disney transport bus with mears name in it beside the extra tour style buses they provide. But since Disney has a contract with near for Disney cruise like magic express and they handle the tours it most likely dose not coast them that much extra for the extra buses they provide.

The funny thing is when mear got the contract to do the tours they offered Disney special event drivers more money. To work for them some took it while other stayed with Disney.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

On bus leaving mk now... Only issues I had all day with my ecv and lines was the pirates of the carribean ride. Totally not accessible for an ecv user traveling alone with parking 5 miles away from the ride

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShhhQ View Post
On bus leaving mk now... Only issues I had all day with my ecv and lines was the pirates of the carribean ride. Totally not accessible for an ecv user traveling alone with parking 5 miles away from the ride
POTC requires you to park your ECV out front and get into a wheelchair, furnished out front for disability riders. This is what I did. And I was traveling solo a few times. I could understand your concern if a WC is difficult for you to handle solo.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

...and this is why my mom refuses to go to the Magic Kingdom. She has to use her scooter and she knows it will not go well so she just doesn't go. Sadly, the older sections of WDW are not very handicap accessible (they are to some extent but not easily). I know the ADA did not exist in the 70s but with an ever increasing number of guests using scooters and wheel chairs you would think they would want to keep everything easily accessible for those guests but it does seem they are making things ever increasingly more difficult. I was very frustrated last trip.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

Had to cut previous post short due to the bus arriving at resort.
Potc makes you park next to the entrance, which Is no where near the exit, but does not offer any alternatives to those unable to walk the long distance to the ride and then back to your ecv after exiting the ride. Unless you have someone to push you in a wc... Which I didn't! I have since heard there is an alternative route or there are runners who will help you. However this was not my case, I actually got the cold shoulder from the cm that I talked to...no offers to help! And when I was exiting the gift shop on my way back the shopkeepers almost shut the gates on me In their hurry to close as I hobbled out.

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #42
iuki
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=aubriee;46103264]We just got back late last night from WDW. We had rented an ECV for my mom and also used a rental car most of the time to avoid the buses. . . . . . My mom has always been able to ride her ECV through the Buzz Lightyear queu, but this time they made her transfer to a wheelchair and I had to push her through the queu. Not a big deal really, just a little annoying.

We were at MK yesterday, and we were told that I had to transfer to a wheelchair. My DH has only one arm, and I have calcified rotocuffs, making it too painful to operate a wheelchair. Since the line was short, I walked like I do at Pirates of the Caribbean. However, I can walk short distances. A lot of walking is painful due to arthritis in my hip and knee joints. I do feel for those who are unable to walk short distances or operate a wheelchair.

In the past, it depended on the CM at Buzz Lightyear, but now it seems it is no longer an option. I also saw a CM relocate my scooter and "kick" the shift-lock into the lock position, rather than lock it with his hand.

Although I didn't complain, people like that young man won't last long at Disney.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #43
AlexDurrani
Mouseketeer

There are a number of bus drivers that I have encountered that do not have common sense. What Disney should do if they will not allow the bus driver to ask a guest to vacate seats set aside for the wheelchairs/ECVs to be locked in, then they should remove the signs that ask that the guests please make available the seats for the handicap guests to sit in. I had one bus at the POR resort pull up to a bus stop full of guests and ecv's (at least 2) and instead of opening up his doors at the curb he opens them up away from the curb and all the able body guests just pretty much rushed the bus and got on. Yes it wasn't necessarily the drivers fault for the mob but his timing would eventually cause headaches to come about.

As other posters have mentioned, there is really not set in stone rule that defines how a CM will handle requests. It's at their discretion regarding how they handle requests.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sikandar.durrani
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Alex_Durrani
AlexDurrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #44
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDurrani
There are a number of bus drivers that I have encountered that do not have common sense. What Disney should do if they will not allow the bus driver to ask a guest to vacate seats set aside for the wheelchairs/ECVs to be locked in, then they should remove the signs that ask that the guests please make available the seats for the handicap guests to sit in. I had one bus at the POR resort pull up to a bus stop full of guests and ecv's (at least 2) and instead of opening up his doors at the curb he opens them up away from the curb and all the able body guests just pretty much rushed the bus and got on. Yes it wasn't necessarily the drivers fault for the mob but his timing would eventually cause headaches to come about.

As other posters have mentioned, there is really not set in stone rule that defines how a CM will handle requests. It's at their discretion regarding how they handle requests.
Disney by federal law has to have the signs posted on the bus just like every other bus in public transportion. Disney dose not stop the driver from asking you just have some bad apples. Another problem is Disney dose not always back the driver so if a guest complains they may get in trouble.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
...and this is why my mom refuses to go to the Magic Kingdom. She has to use her scooter and she knows it will not go well so she just doesn't go. Sadly, the older sections of WDW are not very handicap accessible (they are to some extent but not easily). I know the ADA did not exist in the 70s but with an ever increasing number of guests using scooters and wheel chairs you would think they would want to keep everything easily accessible for those guests but it does seem they are making things ever increasingly more difficult. I was very frustrated last trip.
I have 2 daughters that are paralyzed from the waist down and the only rides they are restricted from doing is the people mover, merry-go-round and Peter Pan. However if you ask at the end of the night if you can be the last ride of the night they stop the moving walkway after the last person is off and they can then get on and ride with the CM's when they do their run through check.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: