Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"
 
Pesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 1,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
Anyone have good stocking stuffer ideas? I usually start in October and finish around Thanksgiving. Figured it doesn't hurt to get stocking stuffers ready. I need useful things. So far I have some forever stamps for adults.
Agree --ages and gender would help. Here's what I'm looking at for our group (kids and the ILs and my parents):
* usual fruit (bought right before Christmas because otherwise, ewww)
* kids: socks, toothbrushes, band-aids, little toy camera (clearance at Disney Store for $3), toy cars, these straws with little flavor beads to flavor milk, their fav chocolate and candy; small plush for each
* adults: cornholders for corn on the cob (got some pig ones for FIL and regular ones for MIL); wine stopper; calendar; sudoku book; pens (I picked up Bic for Her for MIL as a joke); post-its or notecards; socks or thin slippers; mints and gum; fav candy (sugar-free for FIL); puzzle; ornament; GCs; chapstick; travel kleenex, lotions and hand sanitizer; bath stuff like soaps and loofahs or whatever; CD or DVD; kitchen knick-knacks like these great scrubbing brushes for wine glasses and such; teas and coffees; gourmet foods and spices (we live near a great spice store).

Which reminds me, one great deal was the toy camera at the Disney Store. It was near the front and kind of cheezy lenticular kind of thing but on clearance for $3. Not bad for a stocking stuffer for the kids!
__________________

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFansInLINY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,021

I just read an article that Target will not be participating in crazy holiday deals. They do not care if it hurts their sales during this time period as they are confidant that their merchandise will sell no matter what. The reason being that they teamed up with Neiman Marcus. I am curious to see what this merchandise is but am disappointed that they will not be having their usual amazing sales.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
linnylu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 381

I'm really not looking as forward to Christmas as I usually do. My kids are ages 19, 18, 16, 14, and 10. They don't play with toys anymore. The boys really only want video games. Hopefully I'll find a fun, new board game. We usually get a family gift from Santa, but there's not really anything exciting that I can think of. I use to love shopping for toys and looking for deals on them. I don't want to lose the magic of Christmas.
linnylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
Anyone have good stocking stuffer ideas? I usually start in October and finish around Thanksgiving. Figured it doesn't hurt to get stocking stuffers ready. I need useful things. So far I have some forever stamps for adults.
Do a search, I know there were a bunch of threads last year with great ideas.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnylu View Post
I'm really not looking as forward to Christmas as I usually do. My kids are ages 19, 18, 16, 14, and 10. They don't play with toys anymore. The boys really only want video games. Hopefully I'll find a fun, new board game. We usually get a family gift from Santa, but there's not really anything exciting that I can think of. I use to love shopping for toys and looking for deals on them. I don't want to lose the magic of Christmas.
Do you have Apples to Apples? It is our family's favorite game.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
trinchick
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 336

This sale is over, but it's one they repeat from time to time, so I'm throwing it into this thread for people to look out for. Last week Vera Bradley had 60% off one of their patterns (watercolor). It took these umbrellas down to $12.50 each (currently $28 for sale colors and $32 for the new patterns). I bought eight of them to give to teachers, co-workers, and Secret Santa gifts. It brought the total to a hair over $100 so I got free shipping. I figure everyone can always use a spare umbrella, and these are prettier than most.

http://www.verabradley.com/product/C.../p/1001155.uts
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
This sale is over, but it's one they repeat from time to time, so I'm throwing it into this thread for people to look out for. Last week Vera Bradley had 60% off one of their patterns (watercolor). It took these umbrellas down to $12.50 each (currently $28 for sale colors and $32 for the new patterns). I bought eight of them to give to teachers, co-workers, and Secret Santa gifts. It brought the total to a hair over $100 so I got free shipping. I figure everyone can always use a spare umbrella, and these are prettier than most.

http://www.verabradley.com/product/C.../p/1001155.uts
When you sign up for their email you'll get a $20 off $75 coupon too!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
trinchick
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
When you sign up for their email you'll get a $20 off $75 coupon too!
I know! I tried to do this before ordering but didn't get the email with the discount code until the day after I ordered. And it was a one-day sale on the pattern so I was just out of luck for this time.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
baldy6060
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 328

I always liked getting those little Lego sets in my stocking. Wouldn't complain if I STILL got one. As far as deals, in the last month I've found $5-$10 Wii video games at Best Buy, a $50 Lego Marina set for $25 at Meijer, a $30 Lego UFO set for $15 at Walmart(lots of Legos on sale at Walmart, Meijer & Target), $16 Transformers for $5 at Family Dollar, 50% of Star Wars at Meijer, free gift cards w/ purchase at Claire's and a $90 complete bedding set for $9 also at Meijer! I'm done w/ a September bday, October bday & part of Christmas!
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
MomToOne
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,548

I just ordered these for my co-workers: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clea...Banded+Cup.jsp. With the current 30% off with Kohls charge, they were just $4.20 each (I got free shipping because I bought a bunch of other stuff too). I plan to either put a $5 Starbucks card in it, or just fill them with a few Christmas candies.

On a similar wavelength, for several older kids/teens (family friends) I need to buy something small for, I got these: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clea...nogram+Cup.jsp. I'll add either a $5 Starbucks card or a $5 Jamba Juice or Smoothie King card depending on the age of the child. I got one for DD12 too, for her stocking. I believe in buying things that are just small enough to fit into the stocking, but that take up lots of space in it so I don't have to buy so much!

Last edited by MomToOne; 09-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,962

OP here. Got another deal!

BJ's has $100 gift card package for Uno's retaurant for $79.99. Saves $20!

Can split them up and give to different people.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
trinchick
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
I just ordered these for my co-workers: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clea...Banded+Cup.jsp. With the current 30% off with Kohls charge, they were just $4.20 each (I got free shipping because I bought a bunch of other stuff too). I plan to either put a $5 Starbucks card in it, or just fill them with a few Christmas candies.

On a similar wavelength, for several older kids/teens (family friends) I need to buy something small for, I got these: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clea...nogram+Cup.jsp. I'll add either a $5 Starbucks card or a $5 Jamba Juice or Smoothie King card depending on the age of the child. I got one for DD12 too, for her stocking. I believe in buying things that are just small enough to fit into the stocking, but that take up lots of space in it so I don't have to buy so much!
Those cups are really cute. And I saw a teacher gift idea to fill them with pencils, which are usually on sale right about now. I thought that was a great idea.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
Deffenm
DIS Veteran
 
Deffenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,432

So far I have only gotten stocking stuffers for DD. She likes these Bizu beads (I think that is what they are called) and Target had them 70% so I got every kind they had for around $2 each.

I don't really know what else the kids want yet so it is hard to buy anything. They are not really into any toys either so it will be video games, electronic devices, and clothes. However my boys still ask for Legos and Nerf Guns but they have a million of them already.
__________________
Proud Mother to 3 Adopted Blessings
DS (14)
DS (13)
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
BeachLove
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Agree --ages and gender would help. Here's what I'm looking at for our group (kids and the ILs and my parents):
* usual fruit (bought right before Christmas because otherwise, ewww)
* kids: socks, toothbrushes, band-aids, little toy camera (clearance at Disney Store for $3), toy cars, these straws with little flavor beads to flavor milk, their fav chocolate and candy; small plush for each
* adults: cornholders for corn on the cob (got some pig ones for FIL and regular ones for MIL); wine stopper; calendar; sudoku book; pens (I picked up Bic for Her for MIL as a joke); post-its or notecards; socks or thin slippers; mints and gum; fav candy (sugar-free for FIL); puzzle; ornament; GCs; chapstick; travel kleenex, lotions and hand sanitizer; bath stuff like soaps and loofahs or whatever; CD or DVD; kitchen knick-knacks like these great scrubbing brushes for wine glasses and such; teas and coffees; gourmet foods and spices (we live near a great spice store).

Which reminds me, one great deal was the toy camera at the Disney Store. It was near the front and kind of cheezy lenticular kind of thing but on clearance for $3. Not bad for a stocking stuffer for the kids!
Kids (cousins) ages 4-16 mostly girls
Adults ages 20-85

Funny/random is good but it also needs to be useful. I was thinking a roll of TP in each adult stocking A "classy" bar-o-soap(no grocery brands) Tissue packs? Last year I remember some people had some strange stuff! One got a roll of quarters for parking meters, some got moist wipes, a spatula. My aunt had tin foil in her stocking because she always runs out. Kids got small plastic/rubber animals, small race cars, gooey gel stuff. We try to keep it different each year.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife
 
java's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 20,289

Today LLBean has the MEN'S Full zip sweater for $25 as the afternoon deal of the day(I got it for my Dad!)one gift down!
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/504987?nav=ln-32
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.