Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
cbsnyber1
Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

Do we know yet which three houses will be open when the S&S area is released?

"The problem is not that some set the bar too high and miss it, it's that some set the bar too low and hit it"

cbsnyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
xApril
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
I might try this once this year. I guess I'm a creature of habit since I always go to the main holding area.
Definitely give it a try! I feel like it's better. I tried the Finnegan's S&S once last year, and I felt like there was soooooo much more people than Kidzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgy View Post
Enjoying this thread and all the great info! I think we'll do HHN 2 nights. Maybe we'll do Finnegans holding area one night and Kidzone the other.

What are the dining options in the Kidzone waiting area?
They had a cart open last year. It's to the left of the queue for Alice Cooper this year, unless they've moved it. All they offer foodwise is churros, I believe. My friend got one there and that's the only food we remember. They may have hot dogs or popcorn, but I'm not 100% sure. You could always pick up some food at IFFF before it closes and eat that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsnyber1 View Post
Do we know yet which three houses will be open when the S&S area is released?
For the Kidzone S&S, I would assume it would be House of Horrors, then Alice Cooper, then Penn & Teller.

In the front, I think it would be Silent Hill first, then the other two a little bit later?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Amber74
Mouseketeer

What about if you are only going one night? Which S&S area should we be in. I have done the main one twice. Is the kidzone one for passholders only?
2007(January)-AllStar Mo Toy Story
2007(September)-Coronado Springs
2008-Universal Royal Pacific HHN Bloody Mary
2010(September)-offsite(Star Island Resort) Universal HHN XX
2010(December)-AllStar Mo Toy Story
2011(July/Aug) Disneyland and Southern Cali theme parks Portofino Inn and Suites

2012(Sept)Allstar Sports and Universal's Portofino Bay HHN XXII
Amber74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber74 View Post
What about if you are only going one night? Which S&S area should we be in. I have done the main one twice. Is the kidzone one for passholders only?
I would stay in the one that gives you access to the houses you want to see first. Also since it seems there isnt anywhere to eat at the kidzone area, if thats important stay at Finnegan's.

You don't need to be an AP holder to stay in either holding area.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Brownie54
Mouseketeer

We did both holding areas last year for S&S and I would use the ones that are closer to the houses you want to do. I don't remember any place to eat around the Woody's Fun Zone area and eventually they opened up a bar shortly before opening up for the houses. Personally, I thought the Finnegan's area had a nicer "vibe" to it. Certainly easier to get something to eat and drink.
Brownie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
cbsnyber1
Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xApril View Post

For the Kidzone S&S, I would assume it would be House of Horrors, then Alice Cooper, then Penn & Teller.

In the front, I think it would be Silent Hill first, then the other two a little bit later?
So they open three houses at each S&S area? In theory, moving fast, it would be possible to hit six of seven houses within an hour or so?

"The problem is not that some set the bar too high and miss it, it's that some set the bar too low and hit it"

cbsnyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsnyber1 View Post
So they open three houses at each S&S area? In theory, moving fast, it would be possible to hit six of seven houses within an hour or so?
I would say.... not a chance..

Even if you were the first out of the S&S holding area and therefore didn't have to worry about a line or wait into your first house from the other S&S peeps, The S&S holding area is released only about 30min before they open the front gates to those waiting outside. Even if you manage the first 3 houses in short order, by the time you'd be able to make it to the next S&S area and it's houses the lines would already have started to build from the guests entering from the front of the park.

You may not have that long of a wait, but it's likely to still be easily 10min by the time you got to the second area. (And that doesn't include the time it takes for you to actually go thru the houses themselves.)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
idgy
Mouseketeer

So, am I understanding this correctly? If I do 2 nights at HHN and start in one holding area one night, and then from the other area the next night, I will be able to begin at different houses each night?

I was under the impression that only 3 houses open early for the stay and scream people...but now I'm thinking they're all open early, and the houses you're able to get to early depends on which holding area you choose????
idgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So, am I understanding this correctly? If I do 2 nights at HHN and start in one holding area one night, and then from the other area the next night, I will be able to begin at different houses each night?

I was under the impression that only 3 houses open early for the stay and scream people...but now I'm thinking they're all open early, and the houses you're able to get to early depends on which holding area you choose????
There is usually only one house per holding area that's open at 6pm which is for the S & S people. There are usually two houses that open right after each of those houses...so you should be able to do those houses before the general public is allowed to enter. The rest of the houses (ones near the back of the park) are opened later but everything is open by 7pm. If you do both S & S holding area, you will be able to do different houses starting out each night.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
idgy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great information! I think we'll do one night at each holding area...but first night at Finnegans for sure!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Lycaon
Lurking Beastie

Just throwing in my 2 cents... I personally prefer the New York holding area. It lets you knock out a couple of soundstage houses early, and they develop long waits soon after the event opens (since they're at the front of the park and most people will just get in line for the first house they see). After that, I move to the back of the park and do the Parade Building and tents, then Disaster, and then I return to the front of the park to finish off the last soundstage. Doing this, I've rarely had to wait longer than 30 minutes for a house, and I'm usually done by 7:30, maybe 8 at the latest.

Of course, it's a whole new ball game this year with one less house and construction going on in the park, so this plan may not work. I'm going to play it by ear and tweak it accordingly.

October 1995 - WDW (all parks), Sea World, US
October 4-11, 2010 - EPCOT, DHS, US/IOA, HHN XX (first HHN!)
October 5-10, 2011 - US/IOA, HHN XXI
October 3-8, 2012 - US/IOA, HHN XXII
Lycaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i put up a map in the thread, hhn website.
you can see the pattern to follow in that for the houses.

What page of the website thread is the map on? i read through the 2nd half of the thread but I might have missed it. thanks!

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
What page of the website thread is the map on? i read through the 2nd half of the thread but I might have missed it. thanks!
Map
http://behindthethrills.com/2012/09/...p-is-released/

JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #29
idgy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon View Post
Just throwing in my 2 cents... I personally prefer the New York holding area. It lets you knock out a couple of soundstage houses early, and they develop long waits soon after the event opens (since they're at the front of the park and most people will just get in line for the first house they see). After that, I move to the back of the park and do the Parade Building and tents, then Disaster, and then I return to the front of the park to finish off the last soundstage. Doing this, I've rarely had to wait longer than 30 minutes for a house, and I'm usually done by 7:30, maybe 8 at the latest.

Of course, it's a whole new ball game this year with one less house and construction going on in the park, so this plan may not work. I'm going to play it by ear and tweak it accordingly.
Thanks for your two cents. I suppose we'll do first night in New York area then decide for the next day.

Lycaon: Are you buying the express passes?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for your two cents. I suppose we'll do first night in New York area then decide for the next day.
That's what I'm thinking of doing too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: