Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
Upstairs will never reopen it was closed due to fire code.

The only rework I want is the trackless ride system from Poohs Huney Hut!
Quote:
Something with lack of handicap fire exits.
I'm not sure I entirely believe that.

The 2 prevailing reasons I've heard for the upstairs shuttering where:

1. There was something about the way taxes were charged that was based off 'Guest Accessible areas'. But shutting down the top floor, Disney was able to achieve a tax savings since it was no longer counted as a guest accessible area.

2. The fact only 1 elevator serviced the top floor which resulted in slower access for those with mobility concerns.

IMHO.... If reason #2 was valid, then the Land would be in MUCH worse shape than the Imageworks ever would be. There is only 1, slow moving, elevator in the Land Pavilion, and with most of the major attractions, including the heavy draw of Soarin, located downstairs, The elevator bottleneck is a much bigger concern there than it would be for normal operation at Imagination.

As for the fire Exit concern, i'm not entirely sure i buy that excuse either. They could easily install needed fire exits into the backstage areas in addition to the spiral staircase and escalator that already exists in the show areas. (the escalator was pretty much walled off with the downstairs remodel). The Elevator wouldn't be an issue during an emergency evacuation since you shouldn't be using elevators anyways in those situations.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Friend of Figment
Life Long Disney Fan and Expert

The land has access to outside on the first floor to the left of the entrance of Soarin. If you take the "living with the land" tour (the walking tour for an additional fee, not the boat ride) your guide takes you out those doors around the building that houses Soarin and then over to the green houses. You enter the land via the second floor (you walk up a hill to enter the building)...the back side of the building is not underground as the front side is. This is why the land has emergency accesses on botht the first and second floors.
Friend of Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
Figment632
DIS Veteran

For those that don't like EO one JII4 plan calls for the theater to go to allow for more ride space.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Figment View Post
The land has access to outside on the first floor to the left of the entrance of Soarin. If you take the "living with the land" tour (the walking tour for an additional fee, not the boat ride) your guide takes you out those doors around the building that houses Soarin and then over to the green houses. You enter the land via the second floor (you walk up a hill to enter the building)...the back side of the building is not underground as the front side is. This is why the land has emergency accesses on botht the first and second floors.
I realize that, but "general operation" the 2nd floor entrance still creates a much worse bottleneck than Imagination would with the 2nd floor imageworks.

And Emergency exits to the imagination backstage area could still be easily done. Either stairways, or they have enough room they could do a ramp system to assist with wheeled access.

I find it HIGHLY suspect that there would be a fire code issue regarding disabled emergency exits on a 2 story structure when you have office buildings and hotels with many more floors and just as much potential for disabled guests to be occupying them. If those taller buildings can meet the fire codes, there is no reason that the imagination pavilion couldn't. (Even if it means adding a few more outdoor staircases into backstage areas.)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
DCTooTall

Quote:
For those that don't like EO one JII4 plan calls for the theater to go to allow for more ride space.
Um..... But the ride and show building are on the other side of the building.

Unless they are talking about maybe restoring the original ride path/space and then moving the image works into the theater space.....
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
awoogala
Mouseketeer

I think they need to bring back the original figment/dreamfinder show. Absolutely update it with better effects, but keep the song and message and feel of the original. It was always my favorite ride in all the world.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Friend of Figment

That would be wonderful...but I doubt if we will ever see it
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Um..... But the ride and show building are on the other side of the building.

Unless they are talking about maybe restoring the original ride path/space and then moving the image works into the theater space.....
No the trackless system takes up a lot more space.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
DCTooTall

Quote:
No the trackless system takes up a lot more space.
That still doesn't make much sense. The Magic Eye Theater is essentially a seperate building connected to the rest of the imagination pavilion via the preshow area. If you look at the sattilite view of the pavilion, I Just can't picture any way which a ride path could expand into the theater building and make sense.

There MIGHT be room to squeeze it in, but you'd practically be running the vehicles in and out thru a single straight shot, into a single loop. I not sure the added space would be worth the effort.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #25
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Figment View Post
That would be wonderful...but I doubt if we will ever see it
Ya I agree Disney is usually always looking for new things that they could do to make rides better and if they change it back to the old ride concept, then that is basically them saying they made a mistake by changing it, and I guarantee Disney will not do that.
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like EO but wouldn't miss it.
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
ToddS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak44 View Post
Ya I agree Disney is usually always looking for new things that they could do to make rides better and if they change it back to the old ride concept, then that is basically them saying they made a mistake by changing it, and I guarantee Disney will not do that.
Like they did at Enchanted Tiki Room, you mean?

I think they should bring back the original, and based on the Tiki Room precedent, I think it could happen. They could get some great PR out of it.
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
Friend of Figment

Love the idea of going back the original...but unfortunately it is not as quick a fix as it was for the tiki room. The ride was plagued with issues for years (the turntable broke down all the time)...the rooms have been gutted, changed and rearranged. Many of the sets were destroyed. In the example of the tiki room, the set was almost 100% still there to begin with...just take out Zazu and Iago...re-sync the audio animatronics (cut out the tiki fountain that no longer exists)...and you are back in business. Parts of Journey into imagination are gone, in derepair, or were auctioned on ebay
Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

They definitely could re-work it to reinclude Dreamfinder but still be a new ride though. I'd be willing to bet they could convince Ron Schnider (not the Dreamfinder originally recorded for the ride, but the original public appearance and in-park wandering Dreamfinder) to do at least the voicing if not the acting too.

I found a pic of me with Figment and Dreamfinder from October 1994 when I was going through boxes in my room. Somebody remind me to scan it and post to FB.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

The Disney Parks Blog just did one of their "Vintage" articles on Dreamfinder today. It made me wonder if they were bringing him back.

I realize they feature a lot of "lost" things in those articles but it was strangely coincidental that the article made me think that and then I happened upon this thread.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: