Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

Marriott Cypress harbor vs Floridays

We always try to stay at a area hotel a few day before we go to our DVC .We hav e styaed at the Cypress harbor befoire and thought it was very good.
We are thiniking of trying Floridays this trip. Any thought on how they compare??
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
jeff968
DIS Veteran

All I can say is name brands like Marriott and Hilton ensure a high level of quality. I don't know about Floridays. I would not try it if I were you. Cypress Harbour is a great resort.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
All I can say is name brands like Marriott and Hilton ensure a high level of quality. I don't know about Floridays. I would not try it if I were you. Cypress Harbour is a great resort.
What an odd thing to say. Your advice basically amounts to "I haven't tried, and you shouldn't either"

OP, I haven't stayed at either of the resorts you asked about, but I have researched Floridays as I am planning a trip in Feb. Tripadvisor has it rated as #2 of 332 hotels, and it was the Travellers's Choice award 2012 winner.

Based on my research and the Trip Advisor reviews (4.5 stars with 2922 reviews) I would be happy to stay there if it fit in my budget.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
jeff968
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
What an odd thing to say. Your advice basically amounts to "I haven't tried, and you shouldn't either"
It's all about trusting a brand name. I did try Orange Lake for a week and found that it was no where near as nice as the Marriotts I had stayed at. It was the only time I went with a non-name brand and ended up regretting it. When people travel they can look to names like Marriott and Hilton and trust that the experience will be top notch. I have never been to a Hilton or Marriott in Hawaii but would not think twice about going there and would expect to find the same level of quality. As for a resort named "Floridays", I definately don't have the same level of trust and would not try it. I have been to the Marriott Cypress Harbor a number of times and can tell you it is a fantastic resort.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Dizfan4life
DIS Veteran

My cousin stayed at Floridays, loved it and says she would not hesitate to go back! I'm possibly looking into staying there. FWIW.... I friend of mine has stayed at a Hyatt before and said she would never go back so there is times that the name brand resorts disappoint ;-).

(Edit) Sorry, I meant to say a Hilton.... OP just do your research and pick a stay that best fits you and your family!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Detailor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfan4life View Post
My cousin stayed at Floridays, loved it and says she would not hesitate to go back! I'm possibly looking into staying there. FWIW.... I friend of mine has stayed at a Hyatt before and said she would never go back so there is times that the name brand resorts disappoint ;-).

(Edit) Sorry, I meant to say a Hilton.... OP just do your research and pick a stay that best fits you and your family!
Sure, that's true but this thread is really mixing apples and oranges. Floridays looks nice to me but is a hotel resort while Cypress Harbour is a timeshare resort. The brand name timeshare resort companies - Hyatt, Hilton Grand Vacation Club, Marriotts, Sheratons and others - tend to be the leaders in updating their accommodations and that generally makes them a notch about other timeshare resorts and typical hotels. No matter how you cut it there's just more to do at upscale timeshare resorts like Cypress Harbour and the interiors are fairly large two bedroom villas at CH as opposed to smaller hotel suites like at Floridays. If you need three bedrooms, which they have at Floridays, you can't get that at Cypress Harbour. I think Floridays will provide a better vacation experience than many other Orlando options but I don't think it's in the class of the Orlando-area Marriott timeshare resorts.

While I also find Hilton hotels to be lacking, I truly believe the Hilton Grand Vacation Club timeshare resorts are far superior to their hotel cousins.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote