Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Rosesq
Earning My Ears

Wifi Set Up

Hello - I have been lurking for a few years, and have found your discussions very helpful. We've camped at FW for several years, and are going again on Thursday (lucky for us we live only 5 hours away and have APs). We will be staying in our Class C in a premium sit (in a pet loop as we have our 3 dogs along). This will be the first time we have been to the Fort where there is internet available on the site and I want to set up a local Wifi network. Can any one suggest set up that has work well for you? We are a mac family. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Rosesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

I just bought a cheap wireless router at Wal-mart and it was a cinch to set it up. The only problem is the internet service at the Fort is sometimes hit or miss. It can be reliable all day and then nothing. We have a prepaid mi-fi from Virgin Mobile we use as a back-up.

The modem set-up you get from the front desk should have everything you need except for the wi-fi router which you will need to bring with you. You will need both to have wi-fi. I believe the deposit is $125 for the wired modem set-up and will be credited back when you return it the night before departure.

Off site - 5/85, 1/98, 2/00ASMU - 3/02, 5/02(twice), 10/03, 12/06Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 2/03POFQ -2/03 & 12/04Camping @ FW - 11/04 & 6/08POP 11/07

Last edited by AuntBJ; 09-10-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: corrected to router
AuntBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
iuki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntBJ View Post
I just bought a cheap wireless router at Wal-mart and it was a cinch to set it up. The only problem is the internet service at the Fort is sometimes hit or miss. It can be reliable all day and then nothing. We have a prepaid mi-fi from Virgin Mobile we use as a back-up.

The modem set-up you get from the front desk should have everything you need except for the wi-fi modem which you will need to bring with you. You will need both to have wi-fi. I believe the deposit is $125 for the wired modem set-up and will be credited back when you return it the night before departure.
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

We have a laptop with built-in wif-fi, and an iPad 2 that we can download internet service with a paid data plan.

Would we still need the modem or just a wi-fi access password from the Fort?

iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Diamond Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki View Post
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

We have a laptop with built-in wif-fi, and an iPad 2 that we can download internet service with a paid data plan.

Would we still need the modem or just a wi-fi access password from the Fort?

We just spent two weeks at the Fort, 8/9/12-8/24/12.
I was in loop 1100 and I had a laptop with built in wi-fi and an IPad2, with no paid data plan. I had free internet access the whole time. The network name was something like Disney Guest and I did not need a password to access it.
I never had a problem with signal strength even when using it inside the camper.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
iuki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Girl View Post
We just spent two weeks at the Fort, 8/9/12-8/24/12.
I was in loop 1100 and I had a laptop with built in wi-fi and an IPad2, with no paid data plan. I had free internet access the whole time. The network name was something like Disney Guest and I did not need a password to access it.
I never had a problem with signal strength even when using it inside the camper.
Thank you so much for the information and for such a quick response. I will keep Loop 1100 in mind.

iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Diamond Girl
Mouseketeer

Maybe we were picking up the signal from the cabins since the 1100 loop backs up to the 2100 cabin loop? Does anyone know if the cabins get free internet?
Having free internet sure was a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

I thought the cabins were still wired service but I could be wrong. You may have been able to pick up the Meadows Trading Post signal.

Some months ago, Disney started providing free internet at the resorts but except for the hotspots at the Outpost, Meadows Trading Post and Pioneer Hall, it was still wired at the Fort. Someone had posted it was due to some interference the wireless was causing the internal bus communication system.

Getting a wireless signal at your site would be a great bonus but I wouldn't count on it if wi-fi is important. Perhaps if you don't have a wireless router to bring you could buy one but don't open the packaging and return it if you are lucky like DiamondGirl and don't need it.

Off site - 5/85, 1/98, 2/00ASMU - 3/02, 5/02(twice), 10/03, 12/06Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 2/03POFQ -2/03 & 12/04Camping @ FW - 11/04 & 6/08POP 11/07

Last edited by AuntBJ; 09-10-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: corrected to router
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Rosesq
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your help. I will pick up an inexpensive modem and report back. I have AT&T service as a fall back on my phone and iPad.
Rosesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
wdwrroad
Earning My Ears

Just a little clarification for those bringing equipment with them. You do not need to bring a MODEM. The modem comes from the fort. I believe you must pay a deposit for it. What you need is a WIFI ROUTER. The modem connects to the tv cable and gives you an Ethernet port. The router then connects to the Ethernet port and broadcasts the signal for your laptop or other devices.
wdwrroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrroad View Post
Just a little clarification for those bringing equipment with them. You do not need to bring a MODEM. The modem comes from the fort. I believe you must pay a deposit for it. What you need is a WIFI ROUTER. The modem connects to the tv cable and gives you an Ethernet port. The router then connects to the Ethernet port and broadcasts the signal for your laptop or other devices.
Thanks for catching that. I corrected my posts.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
NMK62303
Mouseketeer

OK, this may be a silly question, but here goes . . . so where do you put the router? I get it that the modem plugs into the existing wiring in the campsite, but do you then run the wiring inside the trailer to connect to the router? We have a trap door that the cable wiring/hoses/etc run into our underneath storage, that is then enclosed with all of our chairs/stuff, would I put the router down there? I just can't figure out how I would run the cable inside the trailer to put the router indoors. Maybe I'm too busy at work today to think clearly thanks!

NMK62303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
wdwrroad
Earning My Ears

Connect a coax TV cable to the jack on the utility post. Run that coax cable inside the camper by whatever means available. Connect the modem to this cable inside the camper. The modem will also connect to a power outlet. There is also an ethernet connection on the modem. This may be plugged straight into a laptop computer, or connected to a router to use wifi. If you choose to use a router, then connect an Ethernet cable from the port on the modem to the WAN or UPLINK or INTERNET port (some manufactures use different names - all the same thing) on the router. You will then follow the instructions that came with the router to set up your network.
wdwrroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

You need to run the cable from outside to inside. There is a splitter included if you want cable TV also. Once the cable for the internet is inside, you need to hook it to the modem supplied with the kit from the Front Desk. It also requires an electrical plug. You then run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router you will supply. This too needs an electical plug.

Remember, if you don't need wi-fi, you can run the ethernet plug straight from the modem to your laptop if it has a place to plug it in.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrroad View Post
Connect a coax TV cable to the jack on the utility post. Run that coax cable inside the camper by whatever means available. Connect the modem to this cable inside the camper. The modem will also connect to a power outlet. There is also an ethernet connection on the modem. This may be plugged straight into a laptop computer, or connected to a router to use wifi. If you choose to use a router, then connect an Ethernet cable from the port on the modem to the WAN or UPLINK or INTERNET port (some manufactures use different names - all the same thing) on the router. You will then follow the instructions that came with the router to set up your network.
I type too slow. You beat me to it!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
NMK62303
Mouseketeer

Sweet -- thanks y'all -- so I do have plenty of co-ax hookups as we have one for satellite and 3 for cable (different zones of the fifth wheel) whoo-hoo got it!

NMK62303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: