DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpeterson5 View Post
We just received word that Disney excercised their ROFR. We thought we were safe due to the price per point being higher than any others that were documented here and taken on ROFR.

OWK, Dec UY, 230 points, 224 banked 2011, 230 2012, all points forward.
Buyer pays closing cost. MF: 10 months seller, 2 months buyer.
$57.39 per point. ($13,200)
Submitted 8/23/12, ROFR (notified) 9/7/12

I know, loaded contract. Still hurts! Guess the quest continues.....
Sorry that didn't work out for you. If you check at DVCNews you can see they are reporting that for August 2013:

10,212 Old Key West points were sold in the month, the most in a single month since October 2010 when 12,724 points were sold. Disney Vacation Development reacquired 1,641 Old Key West points in August by exercising its Right of First Refusal on resale transactions.

OKW is still a very popular resort for direct sales even though it is sold out and not being marketed, combine that with Disney's desire to get all the contracts extended, OKW resales are going to be having a lot of ROFR activity on them for a while. I personally think price has nothing to do with it and you are just going to have to be lucky to get an OKW contract through or have 5-6 go to Disney all at once and hope 1-2 get passed.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
jrpeterson5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I personally think price has nothing to do with it and you are just going to have to be lucky to get an OKW contract through or have 5-6 go to Disney all at once and hope 1-2 get passed.
If I did go ahead with this, if 3 or 4 pass, then I'm 'stuck' with all of them correct? Or am I reading this wrong??
jrpeterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I did go ahead with this, if 3 or 4 pass, then I'm 'stuck' with all of them correct? Or am I reading this wrong??
I think what Doug is suggesting is that if a number of OKW resale buyers all submit around the same time, somebody is probably going to get their contract through. Sort of like in the Serengeti, the lions can't eat all the antelope at once, so some are bound to survive.

But to answer your question, if you backed out at that point you would lose your deposit.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
DizBub
Totally Addicted

So sorry to hear that they took it out from under you. It stinks especially since you did all that work.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted on the next one!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Sorry you lost that one. Thanks for reporting back. Your post is the fourth post I read today about an OKW December UY getting taken by Disney. Good luck with any future bids.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I think what Doug is suggesting is that if a number of OKW resale buyers all submit around the same time, somebody is probably going to get their contract through. Sort of like in the Serengeti, the lions can't eat all the antelope at once, so some are bound to survive.
I like your analogy
Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
gripp35
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear that! But thanks for the update.
Better luck next time!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
jrpeterson5
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the support everyone. I hope you don't mind me keeping this thread going!! So we talked it over and I think we are going to jump ship. We made an offer on another OKW but they have a pending reservation and we couldn't close till after Feb. SO, No more trying for OKW. Instead we are going to shoot for SSR. Here are my pros/cons:

Pros for SSR vs OKW:
It doesn't appear like Disney is taking many of these contracts back, if any.
Lower annual fees.
2054 vs 2042 contract end with OKW.
11 month access to Tree House Villas.

Cons for SSR vs OKW:
Can't fInd any here. Please chime in!!

Equals
Location is essentially the same as OKW.
Both resorts are "drive up" to buildings.

I just feel we are going to get ROFR again on an OKW contract. Am I missing anything in my thought process here?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all the support everyone. I hope you don't mind me keeping this thread going!! So we talked it over and I think we are going to jump ship. We made an offer on another OKW but they have a pending reservation and we couldn't close till after Feb. SO, No more trying for OKW. Instead we are going to shoot for SSR. Here are my pros/cons:

Pros for SSR vs OKW:
It doesn't appear like Disney is taking many of these contracts back, if any.
Lower annual fees.
2054 vs 2042 contract end with OKW.
11 month access to Tree House Villas.

Cons for SSR vs OKW:
Can't fInd any here. Please chime in!!

Equals
Location is essentially the same as OKW.
Both resorts are "drive up" to buildings.

I just feel we are going to get ROFR again on an OKW contract. Am I missing anything in my thought process here?
OKw does have a lower point cost for a room, but I think with the lower MF and longer contract that SSR is the better deal, and no worries about it getting ROFR'd.

Good luck with finding your SSR contract.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Mtnman44
DIS Veteran

You don't have to own at OKW in order to take advantage of the lower point charts. SSR is a great choice. With the exception of Grand Villas and "Close to the Hospitality House" rooms, you won't have much trouble booking OKW at 7 months. Plus, you get the 11 month window at the treehouses. We own at SSR and have also had no trouble booking OKW, BLT, and AKV. BLT standard and lake views are difficult, As are the cheap room catagories at BLT and AKV but we don't care about those anyway.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
jrpeterson5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
OKw does have a lower point cost for a room, but I think with the lower MF and longer contract that SSR is the better deal, and no worries about it getting ROFR'd.
We came to the same conclusion - esp regarding the ROFR. Based on the activity we've all seen I just feel like any OKW contract with be taken. AND the longer contract is a BIG plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman44 View Post
You don't have to own at OKW in order to take advantage of the lower point charts. SSR is a great choice. With the exception of Grand Villas and "Close to the Hospitality House" rooms, you won't have much trouble booking OKW at 7 months. Plus, you get the 11 month window at the treehouses. We own at SSR and have also had no trouble booking OKW, BLT, and AKV. BLT standard and lake views are difficult, As are the cheap room catagories at BLT and AKV but we don't care about those anyway.
We keep forgetting the fact that just because we own at one DVC, doesn't mean we can't stay at another! We get so focused and locked in on the home resort. (Guess that's the first time, rookie mentality! ) Thanks for the info. You pretty much listed all the properties we want to stay in - SSR, OKW, AKV, and BLT so it's good to know. Thanks for your input!

So we came to the conclusion SSR was the way to go. We put an offer in on a 240 point SSR listing yesterday. Fingers crossed!!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
You pretty much listed all the properties we want to stay in - SSR, OKW, AKV, and BLT so it's good to know.
just be aware that BLT is a tougher get than SSR/OKW/AKV-kidani which are much larger (and generally lower demand) resorts.

it's common to book your home resort at 10-11 months out to lock in a place to stay onsite, and then try to book something different at 7 months if that is possible. so long as you are ok with being at SSR if nothing else comes through, SSR resales are a great deal (and typically you can find something else at 7 months.)

you may already know, but when trying for BLT at 7 months, lake view rooms are the best bet for finding availability (and 1BRs are probably easier to book than studios). don't be afraid to waitlist, but do call or try to book online as early as possible when your 7 month window opens...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
jrpeterson5
Earning My Ears

So we got word this morning that Disney waived their ROFR!!! Yea! We did end up switching from OKW contracts to SSR contracts which seemed to work. We got a better deal with this SSR contract than the original OKW contract that Disney took last month. Here are the final details:

240 SSR Mar UY 0 2012, 240 2013, $54/point, Buyer pays closing, Seller pays 2012 MF.

So we leave for vacation this coming Saturday for a week - out of the country. Should I expect to see closing documents before we leave or should I just expect to get them when we get home? (Today is Tuesday for future reference). Of course, I'd LOVE to get the paperwork done this week but I don't know if it's realistic??
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer

Congratulations!

It really depends on how fast they get the estoppels back from Disney. We were told getting our closing docs could take 1-3 weeks but it ended up taking only 2 (business) days to get our closing documents. We used Fidelity resales for our purchase and First American Title is handling our closing. That was the fastest part of our process so far. We expected to wait around 8-10 calendar days as that seems to be the average.
ninjagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we got word this morning that Disney waived their ROFR!!! Yea! We did end up switching from OKW contracts to SSR contracts which seemed to work. We got a better deal with this SSR contract than the original OKW contract that Disney took last month. Here are the final details:

240 SSR Mar UY 0 2012, 240 2013, $54/point, Buyer pays closing, Seller pays 2012 MF.

So we leave for vacation this coming Saturday for a week - out of the country. Should I expect to see closing documents before we leave or should I just expect to get them when we get home? (Today is Tuesday for future reference). Of course, I'd LOVE to get the paperwork done this week but I don't know if it's realistic??
Congradulations on getting your SSR contract, glad it worked out better for you than the OKW contract.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: