Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
BeastlyKingdoms
Earning My Ears

Previous CPers pleas review your role!

For those of you who have already been on a CP, could you tell us a bit more about your role? I'm unsure what to choose. If you could please include:
Role
Department
Cons
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
psherman42
Mouseketeer

Role: Quick Service Food & Beverage
Department: Not entirely sure what you mean by this haha.
Pros: I had good hours for the most part since ABC didn't open until 11, closed a half hour before the park and was only open an hour into EMH, the people I worked with were fantastic
Cons: I wasn't particularly fond of the work I had to do, but that was mostly because I'd worked in fast food before and it would have been nice to do something different.

Disney College Program
Fall 2011: Quick Service Food & Beverage (ABC Commissary)
Spring Advantage 2013: Merchandise (World of Disney)
Fall 2013: Professional Intern
My DCP blog: http://dreamitdoitdisney.tumblr.com/
psherman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
ohsnapxitsamanda
Mouseketeer

Role: Full Service Food & Beverage
Department: same as psherman, not sure what you mean
Pros: We were only open from 11am-9pm, so my hours were really good. Also, I worked with amazing people.
Cons: We were pretty much always busy at dinner, and guests could get testy. But you'll deal with testy guests no matter what (on stage) role you have. Also, I worked pretty long days most of the time (9-10 hours mostly). But I wouldn't have traded any of it for anything.
Blog: Going to Neverland

ohsnapxitsamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
AliSW
\

Role: Custodial
Department ...
Pros: tons of freedom, you can walk around wherever (should stay in your area though hah) and talk to guests, got to learn mickey water art, usually easy work, didn't encounter many angry people even when there were lines there were actually a lot of nice people that told me how nice the restroom was, I don't know about other areas but most of the people I worked with were great and laid back and helpful! also got to watch the fireworks if I wanted every night.
hours were very consistent and always worked with all the other cps, I only had maybe 5 morning shifts and then a bit more open and close but mostly easy 2:30-10 or 3-11
Cons: yeah it can be gross.. and smelly... and sometimes trash runs are annoying because some get really full and people get in your way, when you get calls to clean up a "spill" which could really just be water.. also I thought it was pretty terrifying when a toilet would overflow haha
AliSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
kytiam
DIS Veteran

Speaking on behalf of my son who isn't on the DisBoards, but just finished his CP a few weeks ago.
Role: Custodial
Duties and Responsibilities: Different every day, but could include pan and broom (aka Sweeping) your area; restrooms (DS only had this assignment about 10% of the time but he said it was really easy); bussing the tables at Caseys Corner or the Ice Cream Shop; dancing in the Move It Shake It Celebrate It Parade; emptying trash cans; an occasional "code V"; Lots of guest interaction like answering questions and giving people directions; etc.
Pros: Lots of freedom to move around your area; Lots of great guest interrection, pin trading, taking photos, etc.; painting Water Mickeys, Minnies, and Goofys (and enjoying the crowd reaction when you do); Got to watch the nighttime parade, Wishes, and Castle projection show every night; worked with lots of great people!
Cons: Crazy, Crazy hours. Worked til 4:00 a.m. every Monday night and til 1 1/2 hours past closing every night. Most of his roommates worked roles where they were gone during the day and home at night whereas DS was home during the day and working til all hours every night so they didn't really have much chance to "bond". Some of the jobs could be kinda nasty, but not as bad as you might think. Some managers were easier to work with than others.
Can't remember all the questions on the OP's list, but that's the most of it for that son. Other son did a CP the year before in Merchandise in Tomorrowland. Again, Crazy hours, an occasional obnoxious guest, hard work but overall, the best experience of his life.
kytiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Role: Character Performer

Department: Entertainment

Pros: fun Guest interaction, worked at all parks and several resorts, idea of working in Entertainment has a certain allure about it and I'm glad I had the opportunity.

Cons: since Performers are global it's hard to get to know Managers, which makes scheduling more difficult, networking more difficult, and you don't work with the same people very often making it harder to have regular connections at work.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
blearbear4
Choose Wisely

Role: cashier, cook (fries, hot dogs, corn dog nuggets, chili), stocker, person who would take order and get food (we called it "counter"), buffet set-up-er, person at podium who would sign in guests and ring up walk ups, greeter.

Department: quick service food and beverage. Not my first choice, offered by my phone interviewer. So glad I agreed to it!

Tomorrowland Terrace, Fireworks Dessert Party.

Pros: location! I saw every fireworks show, castle show, and parade (even the filming of the XMas parade), my coworkers were amazing, my multiple locations meant I met alot of new people, jobs were not hard, guests were overall great.

Cons: Casey's could be open til 3 am, and closers (usually CPs) could be there until 4 am (although it is cool to see a deserted Main Street!)- this made the finance class I signed up for early in the morning more difficult. Getting a bus back to Vista was a nightmare if I got off at closing!
Disneyland Paris '07
Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise '11
Hoping for Tokyo Disney one day!
blearbear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
saturdaygirl
Mouseketeer

Role: cashier, cook (fries, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches), stocker

Department: quick service food and beverage, i wanted the .50 raise, LOL

Location: disney's(now espn's) wide world of sports & deloyed to epcot futureworld outdoor foods

Pros: location, atlanta braves spring training, it was fun to see the different sports, very slow compared to the parks, some freedom

Cons: SPORTING EVENTS; especially the cheerleading events, cheerleaders EVERYWHERE lol when there wasn't anything going on, we were deployed to epcot and the water parks(i was there during the spring), hot hot hot
saturdaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Lermy
Earning My Ears

I did 2 summers:

Role: Bus Tables, serve Food, Cashier

Department

Location: Hollywood & Vine at HS(it was MGM when I was there)

Pros: This was before H&V became a character meal location. Food was served cafeteria style. It was an easy job. Got to make shakes, serve food, bus tables. Tons of interaction with guests and other CM's.

Cons: Not exactly glamorous when you bus tables, but who cares, it's Disney! Shifts were all over the place. You could work until midnight and then have to be in at 6 am the next morning. Generally worked well over 40 hours.

Role: Front Desk Agent
Department
Pros: I absolutely loved this job!! I don't think they offer it for summers anymore, since it takes a long time to learn about RV/Camper placement and all the goings-on at the Campgrounds. But I always enjoyed meeting people at the front desk.
Cons: A lot to learn in a short period of time, but honestly, I really liked it! It's kind of a pain to get to as far as transportation goes.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

WARNING: I was CP Spring '95!!!
Role: Jungle Cruise Skipper
Department: Attractions
Pros: To this day it's still the best job I have EVER held. Incredible team, was part of the inagural team of women jungle skippers, more than 20 CPs on the attraction, just a blast. I stayed on as a summer seasonal with other 2 CPs. The guest interation was amazing, and it really helped me to this day with public speaking. There's nothing like telling bad scripted jokes over and over (and over) again in front of boat loads of people when you are not actually very funny! Got to see a small, but very real, alligator in water up close! Easy to pick up some shifts as PAC (loved this) and a greeter at Pirates. Back "in the day" we also got to shoot a pistol at the Hippos (loaded with blanks).
Cons: LOTS of talking, so much so that I lost my voice a couple of times, had a couple of bad colds/bronchitus as did others on the attraction, out in the elements wearing polyester costume (which ranges form really cold in Jan/Feb to extrememly hot in Jun/Jul), had to find/wear horrible black men's shoes! Long hours, monotonous at times.

TBD ~ August 2015
CSR October 2013, POR October 2013

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

This could turn into a novel (as I've done 6 CPs)!

Role: merchandise
Pros: I loved being able to see Wishes everynight, and the guest interaction. Plus, it was nice rotating around the different shops (there were 5 shops and 3 carts, plus one store you had to be specially trained in). And I got to be deployed to Adventureland, Liberty Square, and Main Street (so it was fun getting to work in other locations)
Cons: I had problems dealing with money, and there were times it was hard clearing out certain stores right before the fireworks

Role: character attendant
Department: entertainment
Location: CP #1- global, CP #2- DHS (now attendants are bid in one park)
Pros: being able to pick up shifts in the other parks, interacting with the guests and characters, and just having fun
Cons: it's hard to get close to co-workers at times. Also, it's never fun turning people away after the lines are closed

Role: custodial
Pros: the freedom! Custodial is a very laidback role. And there is a lot of guest interaction in this role. I also loved getting to see Illuminations every night, and the shows in the different countries
Cons: not being in the role long enough to get used to the amount of walking

Role: Casey's Corner
Department: QSFB
Pros: the location (fireworks and parade everynight), and the costume is adorable. Plus, this location never got too busy (except around parade/fireworks)
Cons: money thing again (but not as bad as merch). and it could get a little cramped behind the counter

Role: Toy Story Midway Mania
Department: Attractions
Pros: the people I worked with. and it was fun getting to meet celebrities
Cons: I'm not one to complain, however...I was not very happy here. I HATED dealing with fastpass, and the line was usually pretty hectic. I don't miss working there

Role: Great Movie Ride
Department: attractions
Pros: Love this ride! It's always been one of my favorites, so it was a dream come true going there. I love acting, so I love doing shows. Plus you rotate around a lot, so you don't really get bored
Cons: actually, I don't have any for this one
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Hi! I did my program Fall Advantage 2011.

Role: Merchandise
Pros: Getting production trained. Sweet Spells is part of our merch area so I got trained on how to make the candy apples, the chocolate dipped strawberries, the chocolate covered pretzels, etc etc. Working in the kitchen like that was so much fun and production shifts were my favorite. Not every merch location has a confectionery like this so I felt very lucky with the opportunity. Also, the cast cafeteria was pretty much right behind my work location so breaks were very convenient. Lots of variety store wise. The confectionery (Sweet Spells), Once Upon a Time (clothes), Animation Courtyard stores which were kids stuff, and the Animation Gallery where we sold fine art. There's just so much to do and so many places to work in my one area, it never got boring.
Cons: Nothing really? People/crowds are annoying when Fantasmic lets out. Obviously people who work merch in the back of the park "backlands" don't really have this problem, but people exit through sunset so we get a lot of business.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: