Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
macdeb
Earning My Ears

"Special celebrations" at Disney

Hi all!

Last weekend I proposed to my partner. (she said yes! . And yesterday, I booked our trip to POR in December. When I made the ressie over the phone, they asked if we were celebrating anything special. I told them we are celebrating our recent engagement. The CM said they would work on something special for us. I"m not sure what that means. Does anyone know?

thanks!

-MacDeb
2005 - Pop Century - WDW
2003 - Royal Pacific Resort - Universal Studios, Orlando
2001 - All Star Movies/Music - WDW
1999 - Polynesian Resort - WDW
1973 - Contempory Resort - WDW

>
macdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
pg0314
Mouseketeer

I don't know what the 'something special' might be but congrats on your engagement! Have a wonderful trip!
pg0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
DOPEYLUVER
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your engagement.

I do think it is too bad that you were told they would work on something special though. Try to get it out of your mind. If you get an extra sprinkle of pixie dust, great; if not you won't be disappointed. I have seen on the wedding threads where couples were expecting something special because they were on their honeymoon and got nothing.

I can tell you that twice I have ordered cakes for occassions and twice they were screwed up. The second time it was a simple birthday cake. They brought it to the wrong table and sang happy birthday. Then when that table told them they didn't have a birthday they realized their mistake and brought it to our table. The cake said Happy Birthday Kate. My daughter's name is Kelly. We laughed so hard it was all worth it. The first time it was one of those customized ($140) cakes. The screw up on that one is just to complicated to go into.

My point is just surprises are great but knowing in advance could be a disappointment.

But here's hoping for lots of pixie dust on your upcoming celebration!

DOPEYLUVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Congratulations!

I'm sure your Disneymoon will be a wonderful time. Something that you'll remember for the rest of your lives.

However, I wouldn't expect much from Disney other than perhaps a button or a card in your room. That seems to be the extent of what they normally do for special occasions these days. You may get some extra pixie dust, you may not. The best suggestion is to make your own special celebration.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
jlowejd5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPEYLUVER View Post
If you get an extra sprinkle of pixie dust, great; if not you won't be disappointed.
I heart you.

I've been a regular over on the cruise boards here for years now, and the general tenor over there has dramatically changed. In years past, it was a fun place to learn about all the different options DCL has to offer.

Now, though, it's gotten kinda ugly. Half the posts (that aren't about dress code or tipping) are some variation of "I read one time that somebody got something special. I DEMAND SPECIAL!!" It's depressing.

Prime example: If I remember the story right, a number of years ago somebody's granddaughter had a recurrence of leukemia and couldn't go on a scheduled cruise (or something like that). Grandma decided to do something special and takes a pillowcase and has all the characters sign it so that little Jenny can have Mickey and friends close to her while she's in the hospital. Awwww... Beautiful story, warms the heart.

Now, so many people demand special object signings that DCL has a form to fill out. It's become something expected. So people get on and are like "okay, I have three pillowcases, two tote bags, six vinylmation things, and my left buttcheek. Where do I drop them off?"

Okay, off my soapbox. Congrats on your engagement, and here's hoping that Disney can whip up something unexpectedly special for you.
DL: GCal - Oct '08
DVC: Aulani - Feb '12, Fairmont (San Francisco) - Nov '09. Beach Palace (Cancun) - Apr '09.
UO: Portofino Bay - Oct '11, Royal Pacific - Feb '09
Cruises: Sapphire Princess Hawaii 14-day - March '11, HAL Oosterdam 7-day Alaska - Aug '10
Dance, banana, dance!!
jlowejd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
macdeb
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. We are very excited about our December trip! And to be clear, I didn't ask for anything special. They just asked if we were celebrating anything, so I thought, what the heck, I'll let them know we were just engaged. so, I am only asking out of curiosity and wondering if we are going to get some sort of "his and hers" pixie dust since I didn't tell them we were a same-sex couple. I did say my partner and I were just engaged, though.

Anyway, like I said I only posted this out of curiosity. I'm just happy to be going on our first Christmas trip to WDW. So it will be a good time with my loved ones.. pixie dust or not.

-MacDeb
2005 - Pop Century - WDW

>
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
JapanNerd
Childish College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdeb View Post
Hi all!

Last weekend I proposed to my partner. (she said yes! . And yesterday, I booked our trip to POR in December. When I made the ressie over the phone, they asked if we were celebrating anything special. I told them we are celebrating our recent engagement. The CM said they would work on something special for us. I"m not sure what that means. Does anyone know?

thanks!

-MacDeb
Sometimes Cast Members will treat you with something special. Even if it's a little thing like free cups handed to you. Honestly I can't tell you, but trust me whatever it is, it has to be special. Oh and Congrats on your Engagement.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
LillsnJills
Mouseketeer

My partner and I recently had our honeymoon at Disney. I had added to our reservation that we were on our honeymoon, and added it to two of our signature dinner reservations as well.

At our hotel (AKL) we were upgraded to a savannah view room from pool view. Because we were celebrating, or because we'd upgraded to the DxDP from the free DDP? Or random freebie? Who knows.

At Jiko, we were given a card signed by the staff, and when our waiter realized he hadn't signed the card we got, he went and signed a separate one to give to us.

At Citricos, we were given keepsake menus with "Happily Ever After", our names and the date of our dinner printed on the top, and our desserts had "Congratulations!" printed on chocolate wafers. Of course, it also had an image of Cinderella and her Prince on top, rather than maybe say two princesses....

We didn't wear the celebration pins we were given, just because they're so dang big, so I don't know what kind of "perks" those might have gotten us.

Congrats on your engagement!

LillsnJills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
LauraEadon

Google Gifts of a lifetime!!!!!
LauraEadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your engagement!!!

Last year when I went my fiance and I had recently gotten engaged, and while we didn't get upgraded in our resort room, we got some congratulatory champagne at the Brown Derby and some cupcakes at 'Ohana, aside from the well-wishes from many of the CM's that saw our buttons. We weren't expecting anything, but it was nice!
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowejd5 View Post
I heart you.

I've been a regular over on the cruise boards here for years now, and the general tenor over there has dramatically changed. In years past, it was a fun place to learn about all the different options DCL has to offer.

Now, though, it's gotten kinda ugly. Half the posts (that aren't about dress code or tipping) are some variation of "I read one time that somebody got something special. I DEMAND SPECIAL!!" It's depressing.

Prime example: If I remember the story right, a number of years ago somebody's granddaughter had a recurrence of leukemia and couldn't go on a scheduled cruise (or something like that). Grandma decided to do something special and takes a pillowcase and has all the characters sign it so that little Jenny can have Mickey and friends close to her while she's in the hospital. Awwww... Beautiful story, warms the heart.

Now, so many people demand special object signings that DCL has a form to fill out. It's become something expected. So people get on and are like "okay, I have three pillowcases, two tote bags, six vinylmation things, and my left buttcheek. Where do I drop them off?"

Okay, off my soapbox. Congrats on your engagement, and here's hoping that Disney can whip up something unexpectedly special for you.
I believe that Macdeb is telling us the truth, but I found the thread to which I think that you were refering. You are right that it is sad. What gets rewarded gets repeated so I don't think that it is a good idea to overcompensate complaints. If those working on that cruise line are doing their best to make passengers happy while the passengers continue to demand and complain for fear that someone out there somewhere has gotten or is going to get more than he or she, despair sets in among the crew who all start to declare inside "How much more do you want from us?!" whether or not they actually say it to the passengers. I really hate to see kind, hospitable, eager-to-please types get hardened because the more they did the more they were expected to do until they just gave up. I still hope that Macdeb gets someone who hasn't encountered too many of the kind of customers whom you are talking about though because an engagement is such a special time.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
macdeb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I believe that Macdeb is telling us the truth, but I found the thread to which I think that you were refering. You are right that it is sad. What gets rewarded gets repeated so I don't think that it is a good idea to overcompensate complaints. If those working on that cruise line are doing their best to make passengers happy while the passengers continue to demand and complain for fear that someone out there somewhere has gotten or is going to get more than he or she, despair sets in among the crew who all start to declare inside "How much more do you want from us?!" whether or not they actually say it to the passengers. I really hate to see kind, hospitable, eager-to-please types get hardened because the more they did the more they were expected to do until they just gave up. I still hope that Macdeb gets someone who hasn't encountered too many of the kind of customers whom you are talking about though because an engagement is such a special time.
Thanks for sticking up for me. I am not one to demand special treatment from anyone. Infact, I have social anxiety, so it's a stretch for me to talk to anyone. I was only asking to see if there was something "normal" that may happen if my fiance and I wear a special button or something. Also, since we are a same sex couple, I am just curious if we will be treated the same as any other newly engaged couple. I don't plan on demanding anythign at all. I am just happy that my little family will be going to WDW in 3 weeks for christmas. It is going to be a wonderful time and we will be celebrating our engagement regardless of what disney may or may not do.

Anyway, thanks again for the congrats etc. I appreciate it!

-MacDeb
2005 - Pop Century - WDW

>
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
alizakelly
Girls in Wonderland

Congratulations! for u r engagement