Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
yensiD tlaW
Earning My Ears

Away.com artical on WDW

Nothing out of the ordinary until the last bit of advice from someone named Sandra. The comments following the artical about her are priceless.

http://away.com/travel-advice/travel...ain+-+articles

Last edited by yensiD tlaW; 09-08-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: forgot link
yensiD tlaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

I'm betting she's also one of the ones that makes multiple reservations for every meal "Just in Case!".
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
dwaters
Mouseketeer

Away.com --- "We certainly don't endorse this approach..."

Comments section-- "How can you people endorse people like Sandra?"

People really need to learn to read thoroughly.
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

that is just terrible.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Am I reading this correctly? She is suggesting that people get a GAC when there is no disability? I think she would get an earful from the Boards on this! She probably does other questionable stuff, too, which I will not elaborate on.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

People like Sandra should be arrested. Nothing like taking something you don't deserve from someone who really needs the assistance. I wish I could give her my thoughts in person, too nasty to post on the boards!!

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite

Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

What's an artical? Or do you mean article?

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

I have seen people abuse the GAC cards way too many times... and I don't want to hear the whole "Oh they might have something underlying" deal. If I see a group of kids run through the fastpass line with a GAC card saying "Oh man, this is our 5th time on this!" it just makes me mad. In fact, its like the whole system was made to be abused, because I see alot of handicapped people who are wheelchair-bound or otherwise in the normal stand-by, people who deserve the GAC but either don't know about it or are willing to wait in the standard queue...

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Cierese
Mouseketeer

WOW!! That chick is so WRONG!!! My son has a sensory processing disorder and I've never gotten him a 'pass'. We usually just limit how much time we are in crowds, make use of fastpasses, or he and I sit out in a nice quiet spot til everyone else rides their rides. I'm surprised she just doesn't rent a motorized wheel chair for herself!

And the person that complained about the people in wheel chairs.... that makes me a bit flustered as well.... If those people where there first, then they should get to board the bus first. I do think a few buses just for wheel chairs would be a good idea, but then it might mean those people have to wait even longer than everyone else for a bus (unless they could come up with a way to have a 'scheduled' pick up if you want to ride an accessible van? Maybe the best route to take would just add an extra bus as needed for each resort? Don't know just throwing ideas out there. (I kinda had an experience yesterday trying to find a parking place for our van that has a wheelchair lift... all the 'van accessible' spots had cars parked in them)

June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Caribbean Beach Resort!
Oct 2013 - Old Key West and POP!
July 2011 OKW - Big Family Vacation
Nov 2009 All Stars Music - Thanksgiving!
Sep 2004 Off Site -- Jun 2004 Off Site
July 2003 Off Site OIF Welcome Home Trip
Apr 1995 Don't Remember - Magic Music Days -Yes, I was a band geek!!!
Cierese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Kronk N Tink
Found Nemo

As someone who waits in the normal standby despite acute demophobia and heck even when pushing my wife around in a wheelchair last trip due to an osteoarthritis flare up (she could barely walk), I believe we should make a concentrated effort to find Sandra tie her up and then tie her to the top of the Hollywood Studios Hat with a sign in concrete hanging from her legs saying "don't abuse systems designed to help those less fortunate than yourself".

Feb 2013 CBR
Nemo's First Trip Feb 2012 ASMo
Kronk and Tink's first trip together Oct 2008 POFQ
Kronk has stayed many many times (somewhere between 15-20) At FW
Kronk N Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierese View Post
WOW!! That chick is so WRONG!!! My son has a sensory processing disorder and I've never gotten him a 'pass'. We usually just limit how much time we are in crowds, make use of fastpasses, or he and I sit out in a nice quiet spot til everyone else rides their rides. I'm surprised she just doesn't rent a motorized wheel chair for herself!

And the person that complained about the people in wheel chairs.... that makes me a bit flustered as well.... If those people where there first, then they should get to board the bus first. I do think a few buses just for wheel chairs would be a good idea, but then it might mean those people have to wait even longer than everyone else for a bus (unless they could come up with a way to have a 'scheduled' pick up if you want to ride an accessible van? Maybe the best route to take would just add an extra bus as needed for each resort? Don't know just throwing ideas out there. (I kinda had an experience yesterday trying to find a parking place for our van that has a wheelchair lift... all the 'van accessible' spots had cars parked in them)
I second this. Our DS is 18, been dealing with Sensory processing disorder his whole life among a few other issues, and we would never consider using him to get us advantage to the front of the line. So wrong! I want him to know he can function in society in his own way. This lady just opened up a can of worms IMO.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
I second this. Our DS is 18, been dealing with Sensory processing disorder his whole life among a few other issues, and we would never consider using him to get us advantage to the front of the line. So wrong! I want him to know he can function in society in his own way. This lady just opened up a can of worms IMO.
A GAC does NOT get you to the front of the line.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk N Tink View Post
As someone who waits in the normal standby despite acute demophobia and heck even when pushing my wife around in a wheelchair last trip due to an osteoarthritis flare up (she could barely walk), I believe we should make a concentrated effort to find Sandra tie her up and then tie her to the top of the Hollywood Studios Hat with a sign in concrete hanging from her legs saying "don't abuse systems designed to help those less fortunate than yourself".

hubby could get a GAC for his vision, but still refuses to. one of the reasons is he is concerned about accusations that he doesn't need it.. .. and so many of us DO, unfortunately, wonder about who needs it.. BECAUSE of jerks like this sandra.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
yensiD tlaW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
What's an artical? Or do you mean article?
So I can't spell LOL
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
A GAC does NOT get you to the front of the line.
ditto this. Not sure what this jerk lady thinks she will get by having a GAC. I have only had one for one of my Disney trips, and I had one of my longest waits ever on TSMM (even with a fastpass). Planning and RD are the only proven ways to avoid lines.

Someone mentioned people abusing the system. Every system that exists to help one group of people is abused by some others. I could make a list but it would take too long.

One note: A woman pretending her kid has Autism or similar problem, has obviously never had to be around or deal with the difficulties that come with these. Unfortunately, these kind of people never learn and never change.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: