Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
kda
DIS Veteran

Really. SWA is known for very quick turnarounds, and these stops are often ~ 30 minutes for passengers to get off and new passengers to board. The few direct flights we've been on haven't allowed "through" passengers to disembark because there was no time.

It's always possible that the direct flight will get switched to one that you do have to switch planes. This has happened to family members several times.
They did have plenty of time to make their connecting flight.

SWA is also known for efficient boarding and does pretty well with on time take off and landing a little early. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymummer View Post
Definitely! Hindsight is always 20/20! :

Are you sure they won't check IDs when they check boarding passes right before boarding? I passed the idea onto my hubby. He flew in March (he forgets which airline. He flew for work, they took care of all travel arrangements.). He said he had to show his license with his boarding pass before getting onto the plane. I don't want to cause a scene or get hauled off by the TSA. That would NOT be a magical way to start a Disney vacation!

I fly SWA all the time (just did today) and they have never asked for ID at the gate -- only at security.

Also, when I fly with my kids (now 7,5 and 3 but they have been flying since before the youngest was born) my theory is always that if someone won't move, I will put a child who is potty-training between them and they can enjoy their flight. Someone ALWAYS moves.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #33
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
We are not on a nonstop flight, but we are on a direct flight (one stop, no plane change). How does that work? Do we have to get off of the plane and back on again or do we stay on the plane? If we have to unboard, how do we re-board?
Do we get our same seats or do we have to try to get seats together again?
After everyone gets off, they count who is still on to make sure it matches their records. Then they tell you that you can move. At that point, there is usually a rush for better seats and the bathroom. You usually have about 5-10 minutes before the new passengers board. I always use that chance to move up to the row closest to the front (except the front) as possible so I can get off fastest when we land. Also, if you didn't get seats all together the first time, that's a way to make sure you have them for the rest of the trip and actually getting off the plane.

No need to worry, SWA is awesome!!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
jenndisney
Is this a tag? Am I dreaming? Someone pinch me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Here's a solution for you if you're using EBCI. Once your past security you board first using your daughter's boarding pass and she boards with your DH using your boarding pass. The attendant taking the boarding pass doesn't usually ask for ID since that was already asked for back at security. This will allow you in the plane first and you can try to save them seats. This also ensures your daughter don't board alone. It's open seating so no guarantees you'll be able to save them seats, but most of the time people usually don't mind.
This works great. I have done it in the past. I fly SWA all the time for work. It is super easy. I have seen tons of people give up their seat to allow a family to sit together. It will be fine. The odds of a plane full of complete jerks is slim to none. Have a great trip.

Edited to add: I fly weekly and in the past three years I have NEVER been asked to show my ID once past security. I have also never seen it done to anyone else.

Dec, 2008 - WDW, July, 2005 - WDW, July, 2004 - DL, June, 2003 - WDW, July, 2002 - DL

jenndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #35
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really, we don;t have to get off of the plane? Will more passengers get on? What drives me crazy about this "direct flight" is that the stop is in Fort Myers, Florida! Is there any chance of the flight taking off early, so we can get into MCO early? C'mon, a girl can dream, right?
kds is right. We just did this when flying to Seattle 2 weeks ago. We stopped in Nashville, most got off and we had to stay in our seats until after the head count, then people could move. We arrived in Nashville extra early so they said we could get out and walk the airport a little since it was too early to start boarding the newcomers. We walked a little bit to stretch and went back to our seats. We had great seats from having bought EBCI the 1st day flights were released for that date so we kept our same seats.
Make sure your dd knows to not get off the plane at the first stop if you do become separated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: