Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

Best onsite resort for family of 5

I'm planning our first trip to Universal. My hubby and 3 kids, 17, 10, and 5, will be staying onsite at Universal 12/8 thru 12/10. We use our room mainly for a place to sleep. Which resort will best accommodate us in one room? Thanks!
Stasia5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

if you are only using the room to sleep and shower, all 3 of the hotels would work for you.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
glocon
DIS Veteran

If you don't care about the resort, I would go with the cheapest- more souveniers! Price out the resorts for your dates and go from there.

HRH is closest to US.
RPR is closest to IoA.

None of them are really far from anything, max 15 min walking at a slow pace. All the resorts have a boat to take if you don't want to walk, and there are also rickshaws for hire (ride for tips).

But the resorts are close enough to take swim breaks in the afternoons, very convenient to get to if you want to take soome down time, so you never know- you might actually want to use them for more than sleeping. They are very deluxe and beautiful. Look at pictures online, you might be swayed in a direction.

Have fun!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Here is a great site for photos http://www.oyster.com/search/?qa=+lo...do-orlando-295 remember...the Double Tree is not onsite even though it is grouped in there Just click on each individual hotel for the photo links
Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the Royal Pacific, but wasn't sure if it would be a tight fit for 5. I really appreciate the photo links. The ones on the Universal website didn't help me much. What is the norm for accommodating the fifth person? Do most pay the extra $25 per night for the roll away?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia5 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the Royal Pacific, but wasn't sure if it would be a tight fit for 5. I really appreciate the photo links. The ones on the Universal website didn't help me much. What is the norm for accommodating the fifth person? Do most pay the extra $25 per night for the roll away?
if you are not spending time in the room (sleeping/showers) rph would be fine.
save the money instead of spending it on a higher cost room onsite.

roll away beds are $25 a night.

many regulars take an air mattress for the 5th person.
use the star service button on the in room phone and request extra blankets, pillows, linens, etc for making a pallet on the floor for sleeping purposes.

star service, at your request, will also bring extras so you can pad the floor under the air mattress. or skip bringing the air mattress and use extra padding for comfort.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

We took an air mattress for our group of 5 and a twin fits perfectly by the window...we may have done some table rearranging...I can't remember lol
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

We are a family of five and always book the 'deluxe queen" at the HRH. THis is 2 queens and a sleeper sofa (I believe queen)
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We'll be 5 in one room at RPR in the end of August. We are staying 3 nights, 2 adults, 2 teens, and an 8 yr old.
Since it's only 3 nights and the cost really adds up over an 11 night vacation we opted to go for what was cheapest. We've stayed at RPR before and it's doable.
Instead of the cot, we pack a twin air mattress with an electric pump to fill it for my 8 yr old. We could get the cot, but he doesn't mind so we don't. I wouldn't suggest it for the entire vacation, but for two nights it would be fine.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

The deluxe queen at HRH is about $100 higher per night than if I stay at RPR. I'm sure the 10 year old could make do with an air mattress. We're driving so it won't be a problem to pack. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Fab5Family
Mouseketeer

I was just about to post a very similar question, but thought I would try to search the answer first.

Sounds like my family of five will be okay at RPR and we can spend the extra money elsewhere on our trip. (Perhaps we'll book those Blue Man Group tickets I've been thinking of ...)

Thanks for the great advice everyone -- even if I wasn't the one to ask the question. Maybe bumping this thread back up will be helpful to someone else, too.

Holly and her Bunch of Boys
DH Mike, DS Justin (13), and twin DSs Aaron & Brandon (11)
Fab5Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: