DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

New DVC multiple trips question

Brand new to DVC. I understand the concept of "book home at 11 months and switch if desired at 7 months.". What I'm wondering is how this actually will work at the 7 month mark.

Do you have to cancel your current reservation and rebook the other place, or does the computer system automatically do this for you? In other words, is there a way to tell it you are switching and still want only one room, or will it assume you are booking a second room for same dates? I'd prefer to do it online so as to have the 1 hr advantage over those calling on the phone. What I don't want is to lose "both" reservations, or to have the computer system borrow future year points, have both reservations confirmed, then cancel and have my future year points "stuck" in the current year. So please let me know how to proceed. Or maybe best just to wait the hour and deal with a live rep?
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
Brand new to DVC. I understand the concept of "book home at 11 months and switch if desired at 7 months.". What I'm wondering is how this actually will work at the 7 month mark.

Do you have to cancel your current reservation and rebook the other place, or does the computer system automatically do this for you? In other words, is there a way to tell it you are switching and still want only one room, or will it assume you are booking a second room for same dates? I'd prefer to do it online so as to have the 1 hr advantage over those calling on the phone. What I don't want is to lose "both" reservations, or to have the computer system borrow future year points, have both reservations confirmed, then cancel and have my future year points "stuck" in the current year. So please let me know how to proceed. Or maybe best just to wait the hour and deal with a live rep?
Let's say you have 150 points and you are using all of them for your reservation at 11 months. Now, let's say you want to switch at 7 months and your new reservation will also use 150 points. Whether you do it online or do it over the phone, you cannot make a reservation unless the points are available. This means that you would have to cancel the first reservation to make the points available and then you can book the second reservation. I don't think it matters whether this is done online or on the phone because the procedure is the same.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

It is a cancel and rebook. When you call, certain rooms can be held while the old is canceled and the new rebooked. Other rooms can not. Which ones and when is a mystery-at least to me as I have had it done both ways.

So, if you don't have the points to book the new without canceling the old then you may want to call. The other option is to book what you can with the points you can use and then call at 9:00 to finish up.

Good .uck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
It is a cancel and rebook. When you call, certain rooms can be held while the old is canceled and the new rebooked. Other rooms can not. Which ones and when is a mystery-at least to me as I have had it done both ways.

So, if you don't have the points to book the new without canceling the old then you may want to call. The other option is to book what you can with the points you can use and then call at 9:00 to finish up.

Good .uck!
I've been told that the holding of rooms by MS is a CM issue, not a room issue. Only upper level CM's have the ability to hold inventory.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:

You run the risk of losing your original reservation, it has happened to us. That's another reason to buy enough points where you love to stay and the reason why we own at 5 resorts.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:

if you attempt to book it on the computer it will borrow from next use year if you do not have enough points. it will not automatically cancel your other reservation. you must cancel your previous reservation online & rebook the new reservation. i have not had any problems calling ms to cancel & rebook another reservation, or a lost reservation as a result. good luck & hope you get your choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: