Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Gott's Roadside is always crowded, it never matters if we drive by on a cold rainy day in January or on a hot sunny day in August, it is always crowded. As an alternative try the one in Napa at Oxbow (I have quite a few places in Oxbow and in Napa that I would recommend for dining), no wait there but the same food. This was a place I was going to mention when you were ready to talk about food. Also, Hog Island Oyster Bar (either in Napa or SF), Pica Pica, C Casa and my very favorite Bistro Sabor. For higher end dining I'd suggest French Laundry or Cole's Chop House, but both are $300 meals easily (if not more).

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnabellaAnaheim View Post
And don't forget about the wineries that have a tie to Disney ...

http://www.lasseterfamilywinery.com/index.html

http://www.silveradovineyards.com/

And not in Napa, but north of Santa Barbara is Fess Parker.

Have fun!
I almost fell off my seat with excitement when I saw these! Unfortunately we won't have enough time to go down that way However, it could be a nice way to do another trip focusing on Santa Barbara area and DisneyLand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Some of our favorites, some already mentioned:

V. Sattui, St. Helena
We too like the wines here. Are they top expensive wines? No, but enjoyable and the property is so pretty. I also agree, their deli is nice. Perfect for a picnic.

In that area, we also like Opus One, Silver Oak and Mondavi.

Mondavi has a great property and nice wines, but out of those my favorite is Silver Oak. Some of their Alexander Valley Cabernets are wonderful. They have a nice tasting area.

For food we also like the Oakville Grocery and you have to try Gott's Roadside in St. Helena, it's an institution, always with a line. It's fast food, but elevated. So delicious! A nice place to stop and have lunch or a snack at their picnic table area.

We also love Healdsburg, such a charming tucked away little oasis. Great restaurants too. In Healdsburg, we like Twomey Cellars, it's part of the Silver Oak family.

Kind of out there in Geyserville is a little winery called Sbragia Family Vineyards. My nephew got married there and the location is breathtaking! Nice wines too.

Enjoy! Love this area!
Thank you so much!! Opus seems to be a popular one so that's officially now on our list I also love that you pointed out some places to grab a good sandwich - I'm picturing alot of picnics in the wineries These are now added to my list which is getting longer and longer! (Oh, and I'm all about good but not expensive )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Gott's Roadside is always crowded, it never matters if we drive by on a cold rainy day in January or on a hot sunny day in August, it is always crowded. As an alternative try the one in Napa at Oxbow (I have quite a few places in Oxbow and in Napa that I would recommend for dining), no wait there but the same food. This was a place I was going to mention when you were ready to talk about food. Also, Hog Island Oyster Bar (either in Napa or SF), Pica Pica, C Casa and my very favorite Bistro Sabor. For higher end dining I'd suggest French Laundry or Cole's Chop House, but both are $300 meals easily (if not more).
Thanks, Pixie! I just PM'd you about some food places

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
LeslieLou
Mouseketeer

A tiny winery that we really enjoyed: Casa Nuestra

Highly recommend the Tinto- a field blend with many varietals, but 2 that even UC Davis couldn't identify.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
I almost fell off my seat with excitement when I saw these! Unfortunately we won't have enough time to go down that way However, it could be a nice way to do another trip focusing on Santa Barbara area and DisneyLand!

Thanks, Pixie! I just PM'd you about some food places
I've been to Silverado, it's a gorgeous winery with an amazing view! It's down Silverado trail so parallel to 29 but easy to get to. If you were interested in going there I can also recommend a few places on the Trail to visit. I wasn't a huge fan of the wines but I loved tasting there and standing on the patio and enjoying the beautiful view.

I PM'd you back

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
deej696
They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home....There's more to it than that!

So I may or may not have visited both the main Gott's Roadside, and the Oxbow location Worth the wait, and if the weather is nice, it's a great place to hang out for a bit.

Also, I failed to mention, it can be a little touristy, but if you make a stop at Chateau Montelena, you'll be in love. They were the subject of a movie called Bottle Shock, so they get more visitors than some of the others, but the grounds are simply incredible. It's an old French chateau...and if you're lucky like us, they will have just wrapped up a "premium tasting" and give you some of the leftovers

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
deej696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
GoldnSilverPixieDust
Earning My Ears

Hello. New to posting but not to reading these boards. Just a note about wineries in Napa requiring a reservation. It is a local requirement that the wineries allow only so many visitors per day/week/etc. The wineries keep these books to prove that they are operating within the scope of their allowed use. Of course many of the older wineries are "grandfathered in", and many more don't always operate within the rules. In fact it wasn't until recently that a law was passed permitting the wineries to allow on-site consumption of a bottle of one of their wines purchased on site and many have put in new picnic areas (V Sattui is an example of a winery that had a picnic area grandfathered in before the law). Just thought it might be helpful to know why you see so many wineries in Napa that say reservation only and you'll notice as you drive up and down the trail and the hwy many wineries have signs out with phone numbers to call to make reservations. Often times people can call and make one for the same day if they aren't booked up or too busy during tourist season. The crush is just starting and IMO fall is one of the best times of the year in the Napa Valley.

Also for eating you might consider The Soda Canyon Store (just north of Napa on Silverado Trail) for good sandwiches and picnic items or to grab a coffee and some breakfast treats. Also I saw Oxbow mentioned and Bistro Sabor in downtown Napa. Both good areas to get a variety of food. Bistro Sabor is owned by the Ceja Family of Ceja Vineyards in the Carneros region of Napa. Another good place to try for a breakfast, lunch, or just a sweet treat is Sweetie Pies in downtown Napa. They have also been featured on Food Network. Hope that helps some.
GoldnSilverPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
A tiny winery that we really enjoyed: Casa Nuestra

Highly recommend the Tinto- a field blend with many varietals, but 2 that even UC Davis couldn't identify.
I love tiny wineries - those are usually the hidden gems - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej696 View Post
So I may or may not have visited both the main Gott's Roadside, and the Oxbow location Worth the wait, and if the weather is nice, it's a great place to hang out for a bit.

Also, I failed to mention, it can be a little touristy, but if you make a stop at Chateau Montelena, you'll be in love. They were the subject of a movie called Bottle Shock, so they get more visitors than some of the others, but the grounds are simply incredible. It's an old French chateau...and if you're lucky like us, they will have just wrapped up a "premium tasting" and give you some of the leftovers
Even the larger ones can sometimes be "non-touristy"! I'll def. look this one up and add it to the list. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldnSilverPixieDust View Post
Hello. New to posting but not to reading these boards. Just a note about wineries in Napa requiring a reservation. It is a local requirement that the wineries allow only so many visitors per day/week/etc. The wineries keep these books to prove that they are operating within the scope of their allowed use. Of course many of the older wineries are "grandfathered in", and many more don't always operate within the rules. In fact it wasn't until recently that a law was passed permitting the wineries to allow on-site consumption of a bottle of one of their wines purchased on site and many have put in new picnic areas (V Sattui is an example of a winery that had a picnic area grandfathered in before the law). Just thought it might be helpful to know why you see so many wineries in Napa that say reservation only and you'll notice as you drive up and down the trail and the hwy many wineries have signs out with phone numbers to call to make reservations. Often times people can call and make one for the same day if they aren't booked up or too busy during tourist season. The crush is just starting and IMO fall is one of the best times of the year in the Napa Valley.

Also for eating you might consider The Soda Canyon Store (just north of Napa on Silverado Trail) for good sandwiches and picnic items or to grab a coffee and some breakfast treats. Also I saw Oxbow mentioned and Bistro Sabor in downtown Napa. Both good areas to get a variety of food. Bistro Sabor is owned by the Ceja Family of Ceja Vineyards in the Carneros region of Napa. Another good place to try for a breakfast, lunch, or just a sweet treat is Sweetie Pies in downtown Napa. They have also been featured on Food Network. Hope that helps some.
Thank you! It's interesting since in PA (and along most of the east coast) you do not have to make reservations. Of course, I imagine the tourism for wineries in Napa Valley is a bit higher That makes complete sense. I hope to make a few, and then possibly stop into a few of the smaller ones - but there are so many great ones I don't want to miss!
I'll also add Soda Canyon Store to the list. We love grabbing picnic foods and eating them with some wine so the more places I have to stop on our way the better! Thank you!

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #23
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Also, is anyone aware of Heibel Ranch? It has great reviews and looks really interesting.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #24
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldnSilverPixieDust View Post

Really? I've never heard that before, interesting. I'll have to ask next time I'm in Napa, which will probably be Saturday because my wine club shipment is ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
Also, is anyone aware of Heibel Ranch? It has great reviews and looks really interesting.

Thanks!
I haven't been to this one, sorry. And I replied to your PM

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Went to Bistro Sabor Saturday for lunch..........so good............ I had the Chile Relleno with rice and beans, DBF had the pork pupusa and we share an order of Latin fries. We left stuffed and happy.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Awesome It's officially on the list for our last night in that area

This weekend is major reviewing of wineries and looking into a few things - ive heard you can zip line through the Redwoods! I'll be posting with questions as soon as I gather all my research I feel like its getting to be last minute planning now but this weekend was 3 days of helping Grandma move out of her condo so this coming is CA planning only!

PixieWings - expect an email with more questions after my research!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

I'm excited for you!! You can do a Gondola ride up to a winery in Napa..... I look forward to your next message!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #28
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Red face - CALLIN' ALL WINE EXPERTs -

ok.......

gotta ask a rather Goofy ? & its about wines:

(The below was cut and pasted from my below listed upcoming trip report

NOW ABOUT THAT PESKY TOPIC CALLED "WINES."
From my very first experience in "wines 101" earlier this year, I discovered that I like sweet or semi-sweet wines; be it red or white.

BUT -

In preperation for Pappadeaux's Restaurant in or around Febr 6th area, I am discovering
that there are "sub-sections" of wines!!

Meaning - there are riesling, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, blush (on the white side)..........

THEN
ya have Pinot Noir, Merlot, cabernet Sauvignon,etc of the Red side!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
(what does each mean??)

ME?
I have tried chardonnay white wines before BUT.........
(it was ok.....didn't really grab my attention but was ok)

I am wondering what semi-sweet or sweet wines (RED?) would you suggest for a seafood meal while out in the SO CAL area (ultimately why I am trying to research this). The reason why I am asking this rather Goofy ? is that I have a desire to taste different wines that are local to the area; after all - California is the #1 ranked state in producing wines & I would like to be enjoying local assorted wines with local food.

I mean Gheesh la Weesh, I remember as a kid that whenever our whole family would go out to eat at a local restaurant......
say at a Mexican restaurant........

me?
I would order a CHEESEBURGER while there.

And I rreealllyyy wwaaaannnaaaa BREAK that trend.

Now
while looking at the Pappadeux's menu,
I have looked at (a white chardonnay) 'Cakebread', Napa Valley & (a white wine Riesling) J. Lohr "Bay Mist" ; Monterrey California & they seem to initially grab my attention.
BUT.......

Any others??
-------------------------------------------------

[B]ok......hope the above makes sense. Also, I get a feel that I will be part of a Napa / Sonoma Wine tasting on my last day & wondering what wineries would we be visiting.

Overall, I am just concerned about buying (for example) a dry wine w/my meal and just getting stuck with a bad wine.

Thanks 4 listening as this will be my very first trip into San Fran & wine country.
- (362 more days) -

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND & SCOTLAND" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT - August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040

Last edited by knewton64; 01-01-2013 at 03:04 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
aml3679
Kita's Mom

When my DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal, we took a Celebrity Cruises west coast cruise. We went to Robert Young Winery and my DH still raves about it. They let our group bring a picinic lunch - the grounds were beautiful and he opened up the private wine cave for us for tastings.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

If you're looking to make a Disney - Wine connection, Lasseter Family Winery is the place to go. They only have a few wines, and I believe they are all Old World style blends, but they are just so friendly and welcoming there. Had a great time and delicious tasting.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: