Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
booksandbandaids
Earning My Ears

Canon T2i lens help.

My DH and I got a Canon T2i for a wedding gift. It came with an 18-55mm lens. My question is...if you were to purchase 1 additional lens, what would it be and why?

We are headed to WDW with my fam the week between Christmas and New Year's. DH told me I could get another lens but I don't want to break the bank!

Thanks so much for your help!
booksandbandaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

The one lense I would add is:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...85mm_f_1_8_usm

However you might not use it much at the world... However it is my favorite lens for portraits and sports.

The below is a new lense that is nice and very helpful at the world:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...3_5_5_6_is_stm

This lense would also be nice for wide angle:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._f_3_5_4_5_usm

Two more lenses to consider:

Sigma 30/1.4 (This will be great in low light)
Sigma 10-20mm

Last edited by SplashMo; 09-03-2012 at 04:19 AM.
SplashMo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashMo View Post

Two more lenses to consider:

Sigma 30/1.4 (This will be great in low light)
Sigma 10-20mm
I have both of these lenses. They are lovely lenses. What you buy really depends on what you think you will need. If you want to try to get shots on the dark rides, the 30/1.4 is wonderful. The 50mm 1.8 (the nifty 50) is also a good lens for that. If you think you'll want to take wide pictures, then the 10-20 mm lens would be good for that. If you think you'll want a bigger zoom, then you'd need something else. Don't just buy what we all tell you, think about what you'll want to do, what you'll need in real life, not just on Disney trips. It's too easy to just buy what someone else uses because they take great shots! Believe me, I know! Good luck, and enjoy!

Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)

My Trip Reports:
Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksandbandaids View Post
My DH and I got a Canon T2i for a wedding gift. It came with an 18-55mm lens. My question is...if you were to purchase 1 additional lens, what would it be and why?

We are headed to WDW with my fam the week between Christmas and New Year's. DH told me I could get another lens but I don't want to break the bank!

Since you are traveling to WDW on the busiest week of the year (sometimes referred to as "Nightmare on Main Street") one of your biggest challenges may be to get photos without crowds in them. A wide angle lens will help, allowing you to get close to the subject and in front of the crowds. Canon's 10-22 is a really good wide lens and although most people choose a long lens as their second lens a wide angle might be a better choice for theme parks.

A good alternate would be Canon's 55-250, a good long lens to go with your 18-55.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Have you had a chance to use the camera much???? If you don't think you have enough zoom range, I'd suggest the Canon 18-135 lens. It's a great walkaround lens, especially for Disney.

But if you're fine with the 18-55, then look into the Sigma 30mm. You'll be able to get some great shots in low light. Even your non-low light shots will benefit from the nice bokeh (surrounding bluriness) it produces.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksandbandaids View Post

This is really subjective since we all shoot differently. Even when you say you don't want to break the bank... some don't flinch at spending $1000 on a lens, some have trouble spending more than $200. Given what you have I'd choose a telephoto zoom AND a fast prime. Just to cover the basics. I'd go used or entry level on the zoom, like with my favorite 70-210 f/4 that you can pick up super cheap at KEH or with the newer 55-250, because while I won't use it much at WDW I do like having it in my bag. And I'd spend more on a nice prime like the Sigma 30mm since I know I will use the heck out of it.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Depends on what your wanting to shoot. For the money the canon 55-250 can 't be beat. This will give you the zoom range you will definitely need at WDW and the quality IQ (image quality). They call it the nifty two fifty because it runs around $250.

I personally love the 10-22 ultra wide angle but I rarely would use it outside of Disney and going on vacation.

I have the 18-135 and it is nice. Very convenient.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

The ultra wide angle zooms will give you some great pictures. (The 10-20mm and 10-22mm).

The 30mm 1.4 I would say is a strong canidate. It will give you great inside shots and outside shots. It would be possible to run your camera with just this one lens... It is good for taking pictures of things with people in them. So you see the people and they are at WDW.

The 50mm 1.8 lens is cool. It is a little long on on the t2i. In particular, years ago, my 35mm f2 failed on a WDW trip and I was left with my 50mm and 85mm lens. The 50mmm was very hard to take character pictures with. You just need to stand very back.

The 85mm f1.8 is an amazing lens and is on my camera the most when I am not at WDW. Takes wonderful portraits. It gives you a lot of creative contol of how your pictures are going to look. You can blur the back ground easily. Can't say enough good things and makes a nice compliment to the kit lens. Also great for sports pictures inside (which can be very difficult with other lenses).

The 18-135 zoom (STM version) is great and replaces your kit lens with one with more reach.

The longer zoomes. 50-250 and 70-200 give you more reach and the 70-200 is world class...

I think I included all the lenses metioned above. I meant to.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
booksandbandaids
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great advice. It gives me a lot to think about. I know that which lens is right depends on each individual. Since there are sooo many options it's nice to hear why others choose the lens they choose. Especially for a beginner like me!
booksandbandaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
reimero
DIS Veteran

To be honest, unless there's a compelling reason to choose another lens right away, I'd give serious consideration to sticking with the kit 18-55 for awhile while thinking about the question, "what would be nice to have?" If you consistently find yourself wishing for more zoom, then you'll want a zoom. If you consistently find yourself backing up and wishing for a wider angle, you'll want a wide angle. If you find that you're frequently switching lenses "on the go" and it annoys you, consider something like an 18-200. And if you find that low-light shooting is your top concern, you may want to consider getting a fast prime lens instead.

It's all about what you actually need. I'm on a pretty limited budget and make do with the kit lens and a 55-250 zoom. I would absolutely love to have a faster prime lens, but I have other budget priorities. A wide angle would be nice, but given the quality of the glass and the prices involved, I have a hard time justifying a few hundred bucks for a couple extra degrees. What I've got is good enough for my purposes.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
To be honest, unless there's a compelling reason to choose another lens right away, I'd give serious consideration to sticking with the kit 18-55 for awhile while thinking about the question, "what would be nice to have?" If you consistently find yourself wishing for more zoom, then you'll want a zoom. If you consistently find yourself backing up and wishing for a wider angle, you'll want a wide angle.

It's all about what you actually need. I'm on a pretty limited budget and make do with the kit lens and a 55-250 zoom. I would absolutely love to have a faster prime lens, but I have other budget priorities. A wide angle would be nice, but given the quality of the glass and the prices involved, I have a hard time justifying a few hundred bucks for a couple extra degrees. What I've got is good enough for my purposes.
I agree, shoot with the 18-55IS for a while until you know whether a larger aperture or more focal length is better for you.
You can't go wrong with the $150 Canon 55-250IS though
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

A wide angle lens is great. But I probably wouldn't go that route until you add a little more reach to your kit.

The Cann 18-135 is a great suggestion. I'll also throw out there the Tamron 18-270 as a great next lens. It will give you a LOT of extra reach without having to constantly change lenses back and forth.

Ultimately it depends on what your priorities are. If you're unsure but want to take your husband up on the "get one more lens" offer before it goes away....... I'd definitely add more reach.

Later you'll find yourself wanting to add faster lenses (with wider apertures) and wider lenses. But more reach is really high up there for most.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: