Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

Timeshare help

DH and I are headed down mid Oct for the F & W!!! By ourselves!!! We are super excited and will be using my ILs RCI points. We have been waiting in vain for a DVC, but nothing has popped up so I am looking for other suggestions. I could not find WBC either...what else is close? What has a free or cheap shuttle for when we imbibe at F&W.

Thanks in advance!!
May 2010- 3 days off site
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
May 2012- 7 nights VWL!!!!!
Oct 2012 Adult's only F&W trip
Dec 2012- Bonnet Creek with extended family,
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
Dec 2014- WBC again!
2goofykiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

These look to be our choices, so if anyone has any input I would really appreciate it!!

Vacation Village at Parkway (#4940)

Worldgate Resort Hotel & Convention Center a "Green" Hotel (#7916)

Silver Lake Resort-Silver Points (#6815)

Magic Tree Resort (#8461)

Wyndham Cypress Palms (#3995)

Legacy Vacation Club Orlando-Spas (#8615)

Silver Lake Resort (#2610)

Summer Bay Resort (#3175)
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
Dec 2014- WBC again!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
jeff968
DIS Veteran

I don't know any of them and would recommend staying with a name brand which ensures higher quality. The one time i didn't (Orange Lake) I noticed a big difference. But if they aren't offered then hopefully one on your list will work. Good luck.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goofykiddos View Post
Silver Lake Resort (#2610)
silver lake had dated furnishings but was a pleasant and clean resort when i stayed there a couple of years ago. very close to the AKL/AK side of wdw property.

in general, i wouldn't trust a shuttle from an offsite resort, though. not even sure if they have one.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
mia12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
I don't know any of them and would recommend staying with a name brand which ensures higher quality. The one time i didn't (Orange Lake) I noticed a big difference. But if they aren't offered then hopefully one on your list will work. Good luck.
Yeah that would be a good idea or else renting also may be a great option.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

Well they are free, so renting elsewhere would be a lot more expensive for us. We would only use the shuttle occasionally and would also have a car. Thanks for your help though!!
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
Dec 2014- WBC again!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
Orange Lake is a Holiday Inn. I had a good stay there a few years ago but it is not as upscale as some.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
swilshire
DIS Veteran

The only one on the list we've stayed at is Summer Bay. We have been there three or four times and always enjoyed our stays.

If you get the opportunity to use their points again in the future, be aware that timeshare owners book pretty early for the most part. You're getting the leftovers and cancellations this late. Sometimes you'll get a gem, but you can't count on it. Better to plan farther in advance if that's an option.

October is surprisingly busy in Orlando, particularly if you are going the holiday week.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Well, I know for sure that Silver Lake (regular and Silver Points) and Summer Bay don't have free shuttles, plus they are way on the other side from Epcot (they are closest to Animal Kingdom/taxi would cost more on your drinking nights), so I would cross them off your list. Silver Lake is nice (I ahve stayed there before teh refurbishment), but it is farther from Epcot.

Personally, from your list, I would go w/ Vacation Village at Parkway. Mainly because it's the closest to Epcot, so a taxi to/from Epcot would be cheapest. If you have a little extra time and money is the main concern, you could take a bus from Epcot to Pop Century or Art of Animation and get the taxi from there to save more money on the taxi.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Silver Lake is a nice quiet resort. The Silver Points is generally the newer sections of the resort in the taller buildings. Although shuttles to most TS resorts aren't convenient, you can take Disney Transportation to AKL and grab a cab from there. It's not very far from AKL to SL, although after a round of F&W, you may just want the convenience of hopping into a cab directly at Epcot.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Detailor
DIS Veteran

I'm not at all sure about which resorts have shuttles and which don't but I generally agree with Jeff - the hotel branded timeshare resorts tend to be amongst the nicest. If one of the three area Hiltons is available I'd grab one of those or one of the two Sheraton Vistanas - all of those are quite nice.
We've stayed at Orange Lake a few times and enjoyed the resort but those visits were several years ago.
Cypress Pointe Resort, which is located in the Lake Buena Vista area just above Downtown Disney and the hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, is nice and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Good luck choosing a resort.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

Thanks everyone. We are going to hold out a little longer, but Vacation Village looks nice. Plus our points are VV so we get free internet which is a bonus. It looks like they also have rooms with fireworks views, so that would be cool.

Thanks again!
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
Dec 2014- WBC again!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Jaco5nc
Excited about our Upcoming Trip

We stayed at Vacation Villas Parkway once a few years ago using RCI. I'm not sure about a shuttle (we drove to the parks) but the resort was very nice. Our 1 bedroom unit was very large and clean. The property is large and there were a few pools. Have a great vacation...we are going next month too for F & W, can't wait:-)!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Wow.... Magic Tree?

Definately Would NOT recommend there. It's close, but there are so many newer and larger places around that you might enjoy more.

heh... I used to be VERY familiar with this resort though. My parent's bought there when I was EXTREMELY young (like... 1979/1980ish?), so I spent a week there practically every summer growing up. It's an old Hotel that was converted to a Timeshare resort, and the reason my parents bought there was because it was the hotel they actually spent their honeymoon at a couple years before I arrived.

Considering the last time I stayed there was around '97, unfortunately I can't really give you much information on it's current state. The area has grown up a LOT since then. [perfect example.... While WestGate was across the street, I think the last time I stayed there there was still an Orange Grove across the way since Westgate hadn't expanded their resort to that edge of the property yet.]

Sorry for the tangent... you just triggered a trip down memory lane for me.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Ksquared
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at Vacation Village at Parkway. Nice Rooms. These rooms are lock out units so make sure you are on the "A" side which is the bigger unit (make sure you have the full kitchen).

I've also stayed at Cypress Pointe but that was years ago so I'm not sure if they have update rooms/furnishings but not a bad resort and close to Downtown Disney.

My brother has stayed at Summer Bay and said it was nice but it's a little further out and he has also stayed at Silver Lake -Silver points which is the newer section....the location is closer to Animal Kingdom but too off beaten path for me.