Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
singsweetnightingale
Mouseketeer
 
singsweetnightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 144

DLP in January?

Hello! I'm seriously thinking about booking a solo trip in January, (be nice to divert myself from uni and dissertation stress for a few days!) what is DLP like in January? I'm worried there might be a lot of closures? What should I expect weather wise?

I only got back 6 days ago and I'm already planning my next trip.
__________________




Sarah (25) my Disney tumblr
DLP August 2012: Hotel Santa Fe. 5 nights.
DLP January 2013: Sequoia Lodge. 4 nights.
singsweetnightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,697
DISboards Moderator

possibility of very very cold (ie well below freezing temps) and yes, a possibility for more closures and refurbs (this is standard practice between January and March each year at DLP).

But - the parks will be at their quietest, and personally, I'd go for it .
__________________
Elaine
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
singsweetnightingale
Mouseketeer
 
singsweetnightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdaft View Post
possibility of very very cold (ie well below freezing temps) and yes, a possibility for more closures and refurbs (this is standard practice between January and March each year at DLP).

But - the parks will be at their quietest, and personally, I'd go for it .
Good thing I like the cold then the thought of me bundled up in scarves and gloves in DLP makes me want to go more!

I think I might go for it, you know! The thought of a nice quiet park is lovely!
__________________




Sarah (25) my Disney tumblr
DLP August 2012: Hotel Santa Fe. 5 nights.
DLP January 2013: Sequoia Lodge. 4 nights.
singsweetnightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
jillrobinson
I will be very angry if there are any attractions or places off limits
DS got a Hi 5 from Simba
My real persona is maleficent mum
 
jillrobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abergavenny
Posts: 6,661

We went at the end of January this year and just to reiterate expect cold, and I mean cold it was recorded well into the minuses.
The fountain outside Plaza Gardens was frozen solid, people were standing on the ice for photos, the lake, all the water features including the ones on attractions such as Dumbo were frozen solid and as a result weren't working. Even ToT was closed one day and the CM's said that was due to the extreme low temperature.

On the plus side however an empty park and no queues, but personally I wouldn't want to do it again in those conditions.
__________________
March 2004 Liam's 5th Birthday at Cheyenne *** October 2004 Spooky Halloween at Santa Fe *** March 2006 My big 40 & Liams 7th Birthday at Newport Bay Club *** March 2007 Jamie's 13th Birthday & VIP Press Launch for DLP's 15th Anniversary at Sequoia Lodge *** November 2007 Christmas Season at Sequoia Lodge *** March 2009 Liam's 10th Birthday at Cheyenne *** January 2010 Practically Perfect stay at Hotel New York *** October 2010 Our not so scary stay at Cheyenne ***January 2012 Jack's 5th Birthday surprise at Santa Fe***July 2013 Disney Dreaming at Cheyenne***

jillrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
poppie123
Time for the dreaded hair dye me thinks
Crisps is mine, i just love them
 
poppie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,871

I have been at the very beginnning of January (between the 6th-12th) for the last 2 years and whilst it was cold it was not freezing.

We made sure we booked for the very last day of the Christmas season both times so we still got to see the tree lighting and castle lighting both years. It's quite strange visiting the park the following morning to find most of the xmas decs gone.

It's a great time to go with very low crowds although we have been lucky with the weather.

Going again in January 2013 and can't wait
poppie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
kizzabel
Eating poisonous apples since '86
 
kizzabel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,307

I am delighted to read this thread as we are off the end of January. Will just have to make sure to have loads of layers. It does sound very cosy and I love when the park is quiet. So much more is achievable!

How long had you planned on going for singsweetnightingale? Theres a great solo TR by Linda in the reports board. Will find and paste
__________________

Precious Trips:
2010:Santa Fe - March ** Newport - May 2011:Cheyenne - March ** Sequoia Lodge - November 2012:Hotel New York - May - Honeymoon ** Dream Castle - October 2013:Hotel New York - January ** Santa Fe - October

Upcoming Trips:
2014:Disneyland Hotel - May ** Newport - November 2015Cheyenne - March
kizzabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
kizzabel
Eating poisonous apples since '86
 
kizzabel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,307

Here it is :
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2866129
__________________

Precious Trips:
2010:Santa Fe - March ** Newport - May 2011:Cheyenne - March ** Sequoia Lodge - November 2012:Hotel New York - May - Honeymoon ** Dream Castle - October 2013:Hotel New York - January ** Santa Fe - October

Upcoming Trips:
2014:Disneyland Hotel - May ** Newport - November 2015Cheyenne - March
kizzabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
singsweetnightingale
Mouseketeer
 
singsweetnightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillrobinson View Post
We went at the end of January this year and just to reiterate expect cold, and I mean cold it was recorded well into the minuses.
The fountain outside Plaza Gardens was frozen solid, people were standing on the ice for photos, the lake, all the water features including the ones on attractions such as Dumbo were frozen solid and as a result weren't working. Even ToT was closed one day and the CM's said that was due to the extreme low temperature.

On the plus side however an empty park and no queues, but personally I wouldn't want to do it again in those conditions.
Woah that's crazy! Sounds like a sight to see though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by poppie123 View Post
I have been at the very beginnning of January (between the 6th-12th) for the last 2 years and whilst it was cold it was not freezing.

We made sure we booked for the very last day of the Christmas season both times so we still got to see the tree lighting and castle lighting both years. It's quite strange visiting the park the following morning to find most of the xmas decs gone.

It's a great time to go with very low crowds although we have been lucky with the weather.

Going again in January 2013 and can't wait
I was thinking I'd like to go for at least the last day of the Christmas season! It all looks so beautiful.

How were the queue times for things? I'm guessing very little queuing involved? Hopefully
__________________




Sarah (25) my Disney tumblr
DLP August 2012: Hotel Santa Fe. 5 nights.
DLP January 2013: Sequoia Lodge. 4 nights.
singsweetnightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
singsweetnightingale
Mouseketeer
 
singsweetnightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzabel View Post
I am delighted to read this thread as we are off the end of January. Will just have to make sure to have loads of layers. It does sound very cosy and I love when the park is quiet. So much more is achievable!

How long had you planned on going for singsweetnightingale? Theres a great solo TR by Linda in the reports board. Will find and paste
Yay! I just went from the 29th to the 3rd (first visit) so it'd be amazing to see the difference! When are you going?

I was thinking at least two nights, possibly up to four. I just know I'll need to get away from last year uni stress and where better to do it! Ooh thank you, I'll go have a look now!
__________________




Sarah (25) my Disney tumblr
DLP August 2012: Hotel Santa Fe. 5 nights.
DLP January 2013: Sequoia Lodge. 4 nights.
singsweetnightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.