Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
wilsonP
Earning My Ears

Water Park / Shoes needed??????

First time posing here, THANKS for any help in advance.

Making fifth trip to WDW as a family on Sept 18, 2012. This is the 1st time we will be doing water parks. My question is do we need to have shoes available due to ground being hot. If so do they allow water shoes on slides etc. should i be worried about taking shoes off and leaving them while riding?
Any must do slides?

Thanks Again:
wilsonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonP View Post
First time posing here, THANKS for any help in advance.

Making fifth trip to WDW as a family on Sept 18, 2012. This is the 1st time we will be doing water parks. My question is do we need to have shoes available due to ground being hot. If so do they allow water shoes on slides etc. should i be worried about taking shoes off and leaving them while riding?
Any must do slides?

Thanks Again:
The ground does get hot but we've never worn the shoes. Just personal preference.

Welcome to the DIS!
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
dprincessmom
Mouseketeer

No shoes here - too much hassle. The ground gets warm but there are usually soggy footprints to step on

There are great slides/rides at both water parks. Have a wonderful time.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Welcome, and the whole water park is worth doing, BB and TL.....water shoes, eh.... We never used or needed them.... Cheap pair of flip flops are good enough for us and who's going to steal those.... Go and enjoy!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

It's not so much the ground being hot but in certain pools, the ground is really rough so can be sore.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I went to Aquatica,Sea World's waterpark one day the temperatures got near 100 degrees,the wave pool has a thermometer that read 100 most of the afternoon,we got to the car at about 7pm the thermometer read 103 and heat indexes that day and most of the days around it were in the 115-120 range.Before this day I never used to bring any kind of shoes to the waterparks,now I'll bring them even if I choose not to wear them.Basically at about 11am the ground became hot as lava,in previous waterpark visits I've had to walk through some hot sections but this day was different as it was the hottest day I've ever gone to a waterpark,pretty much everywhere you went it was burning hot and if there was a spot where the sun had been hitting it constantly forget about it,I stayed in a shaded spot for like 5 minutes working up the guts to go into the sunny spot.Right after that I went to the lockers to grab some money to buy some sandals which were a lifesaver.Things to take into account are that Aquatica is a newer waterpark with more palm trees than shady trees,Typhoon Lagoon for example is extremely shady and full of trees,there will still be areas where the sun is hitting that if the temperatures are that hot you will still need it but you'll manage better.BB is not quite as shady but probably more than Aquatica.Again I had been to waterparks dozens if times before and managed without shoes with the occasional area that would get very hot the rest of the park would be manageable.Just in case I would bring some sort of shoes if the highs are 88 or above.I prefer sandals to water shoes and on the slides that require you to take them off I would just hold them or tie them to the front laces of my swim trunks.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
BarbieGal457
DIS Veteran

I did buy water shoes once, in Blizzard Beach. They were around $19 and I wore them for about 20 minutes before becoming grossed out and chucking them into my locker! Really, the ground gets hot but there are lots of wet footprints to follow, and last time I was there I believe there were also puddles from the grass sprinklers (I could be wrong). Either way, it wasn't too bad at all. I just moved fast enough not to hurt my piggies!

(I didn't buy the water shoes for the hot ground, either. I've got a phobia of unfinish wood - long story - and thought there was some within the water park. When a CM convinced me I wouldn't be dealing with that substance, I happily removed the soggy shoes! We were also allowed to wear flip flops but had to hold them on slides, etc. The WDW royal blue water shoes sit in the bottom of my closet still, six years later! Just in case....)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
FloridaDreaming
Mouseketeer

I'm a water shoe person. Hot, rough grounds are not nice to my feet. I hate being barefoot almost anywhere. DH always goes shoeless though so, it's personal preference. I've always just held onto my shoes when we've gone down a slide I couldn't wear them on.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
BYC
DIS Veteran

If you are doing it at the end of your trip, then shoes or barefoot are fine. But, if you have days of park touring, it is SOOOO important to take good care of your feet! Burns, or scrapes, or soreness from the bottom of the wave pool could ruin your park touring. I wouldn't chance it. A pair of comfortable water shoes are a must!
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

The issue we had was that some of the slides, etc did not allow you to have shoes on and if you had to hang onto the handles, you had to go back to your chair, remove your shoes, then get back in line again. It was such a hassle that we stopped wearing even flip flops.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Def no need for water shoes!! We just got back from our trip last weekend no need for water shoes in late August when it's super hot! If I were u I def wouldn't bother!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
barbliny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels View Post
Def no need for water shoes!! We just got back from our trip last weekend no need for water shoes in late August when it's super hot! If I were u I def wouldn't bother!
I second this - we were at Blizzard Beach at the end of August and we were fine without water shoes. As others have said the walkways are usually wet in places. Also some walkways actually have water sprinkling on them at ground level.
barbliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

I loved my water shoes for the waterparks. The ground and sand were hot and the ground was also dirty/muddy from their sprinklers and mulch. I wouldn't have wanted to walk on it barefoot. If you have water shoes I would suggest bringing them.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
pg0314
Mouseketeer

Lots of people go barefoot but I'm more comfortable in water shoes. Hot pavement and the risk of stepping on something and cutting yourself aside, the thought of going into those bathrooms/changing rooms barefoot makes me gag.
pg0314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: