Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Pics @ MNSSHP

For those that have taken pics at MNSSHP, any tips or tricks? Should flash be used when taking pics of the parade? We will be going to MNSSHP during our next trip. Any tips would be helpful.
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

IMO, A flash should NEVER be used for nighttime outdoor parades at Disney. A flash will was out all the beautiful lights and details.

If you have a dSLR, find a fixed lens that has an aperture that goes down to f/1.8 or 1.4. Use the lens wide open at about 1600ISO so you can get a shutter speed of at least 1/60th, though 1/100th would be preferable.

If you have a PnS camera, put in on auto, flash off, use the highest ISO your camera has (no lower than 800, 1600 is better). Set the Aperture to the lowest it will go, probably f/2.8 and set the shutter speed to 1/60th. You may not get as good shots as a dSLR that can use a much wider aperture, but it should give you better images that with the flash. You may want to adjust the exposure compensation to get more light. You can do that in camera or with the computer afterwards in post processing.

I'd rather have a night shot image a bit underexposed and brighten it up on the computer than have the flash ruin all the great lights on the floats. Thats my $0.02.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Question Mnsshp

Thanks! Great tips!

I have a 35mm f1.8 and a 16-50mm f2.8. I will be taking pics of the MSEP as well for the 1st time. Haven't seen that parade yet. Not sure which lens to use on that one either, but it will be one of these two lenses. Definitely no flash here, don't want to wash out the lights.

With the Boo to You parade, wasn't sure if I should be using flash or not. I have seen this parade twice and from what I remember, there is a lot of movement, and the floats don't have their own lights. The Floats are basicly lit by the lights on the parade route.

So for the Boo to you parade, it looks like I should go with the 35mm f1.8 lens? For these night parades should I use a more center weighted for light metering?

I have a SONY A55 and it is good up to ISO 800. It is still decent @ 1600, with usable pics @ 3200. It can go up to ISO 6400 and 12800 but the noise is definitely more visable but the pics aren't totable unusable. Depends on the size of print.

Any tips on catching the Horseman?
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

For both parades I would use the 35 f1.8. I wouldn't entirely rule out a flash. There are parts of the parade that are unlit and to obtain the best result you may need a flash. I haven't photographed the MNSSHP in a long time, but when I photographed the MVMCP last December, I wished I had brought my second DSLR. I would have one with flash on and ready and the other without. I missed some very good opportunities trying to switch back and forth. The MSEP is the least likely of the two where you would need a flash. Below is an example from Christmas where I feel a flash was required.

MVMCP Parade Dwarfs 3 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

I wouldn't rule out a flash either, as long as it is used gently and does not take away from the parade lighting. I rented a Canon 35 f/1.4 L for the parade and it was just about right (a 28 may have been better since we were up close). I used an external flash set for -2 stops much of the time, and mostly Program mode as usual.

As for the Headless Horseman, he usually stops at the end of the bridge to Liberty Square where it connects to the Castle area. That's where we were!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We've had this discussion here before... about whether to use a flash or not for the MNSSHP and MVMCP parades. I tried to find the thread I started but decided it had been folded into a big superthread on external flashes.

I've sort of evolved in my thoughts on this. In 2010 I shot the MVMCP parade with a mix of flash and non-flash shots. I physically turned it off and on depending on the float and how well it was lit. When I did use the flash, I dialed the flash exposure compensation down quite a bit so that it didn't overpower the float. I was very happy with this flash shot:

mk2partyparademickey by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And I was very happy with this non-flash shot:

Once Upon a Dream by mom2rtk, on Flickr

This past December I went completely flashless and loved the warmer feel to the photos:

IMG_5845B by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_5872B by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_5666B by mom2rtk, on Flickr

So what will I do this year? I don't know. I do think I prefer the non-flash photos. But not using a flash also cost me some shots. I was using a 2.8 zoom at 3200 ISO but still couldn't quite keep my shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action all the time, so I did end up with a few soft shots. But overall I was happy enough to know I'll ditch the flash again. My only question at this point is whether I'll ditch the 2.8 lens, giving up my zoom, in favor of a faster prime of some sort.

I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Canon 50mm f/1.8 but just don't know if either of those is what I'm really looking for. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe something a little longer??? I guess I don't know what I'm looking for.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
handicap18

I wouldn't go with something much longer than 50mm on a crop body, especially if your close which more often than not is the case. I did the MVMCP both with a flash (point & shoot and older film SLR) and without a flash (dSLR with a 50mm f/1.8 lens). I MUCH preferred the no flash images.

We got a spot in Frontierland on the steps of the Diamond Horseshoe. There were some extra lights there that helped a lot. I'll post some shots later when I get to my computer.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
I wouldn't go with something much longer than 50mm on a crop body, especially if your close which more often than not is the case. I did the MVMCP both with a flash (point & shoot and older film SLR) and without a flash (dSLR with a 50mm f/1.8 lens). I MUCH preferred the no flash images.

We got a spot in Frontierland on the steps of the Diamond Horseshoe. There were some extra lights there that helped a lot. I'll post some shots later when I get to my computer.
I think the only reason I am considering something longer is that I have shot this parade so many times, I'm looking for more variety.

Last year I used my 50-150 2.8. I didn't mind that range but just wished I could get that shutter speed up a little more. Now that the OS version of this is out, I know that would help, but just can't get excited about how much heavier it will be to cart around.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
handicap18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think the only reason I am considering something longer is that I have shot this parade so many times, I'm looking for more variety.

Last year I used my 50-150 2.8. I didn't mind that range but just wished I could get that shutter speed up a little more. Now that the OS version of this is out, I know that would help, but just can't get excited about how much heavier it will be to cart around.
Ok, that makes sense.

Here are some from my last visit during x-mas:
These are all with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 using my older Nikon D50, I believed I used ISO 1600.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Mnsshp

@ mom2rtk Can't see your pics at work. flickr is blocked. have to check them out at home. Really want to see the flash vs no flash differences.

@ handicap18 Great MVMCP, those came out good. Gets my hopes up about trying to shoot no flash at the MNSSHP. I want to try and catch the MNSSHP closer to Frontierland this time around. In 2010 we watched it in front of the castle. Just took pics with my P&S.

I too have a 50mm f1.8. Doubt I will be brining that one. But who knows. Might change my mind. Right now is seems like the 16-50mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.8 will be seeing the most action on the next trip.

As it stands now, I will most likely go with the 35mm for the MNSSHP. May use the 16-50mm with the Electric Parade as that has more light.

Just trying to make the best decisions, going to be our last trip for awhile.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

LOL! Don't your IT folks have their priorities down yet?

One more consideration in terms of focal length is WHERE you sit to view the parade. I was really only able to use my 50-150 lens because we sat down on Main Street in front of the Emporium. That allowed me to capture the floats farther down the street as they were approaching. I would probably find that 50mm end too close if I were sitting curbside up by the castle.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

I shot the parade last year with my 50mm 1.8 and had a blast with it.

If you want to take a peek, everything's right here on Day 5 of my TR.
Scroll down to 3/4 of the page or so PAST the fireworks. All the parade under the fireworks are with the 50mm and no flash.
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
I shot the parade last year with my 50mm 1.8 and had a blast with it.

If you want to take a peek, everything's right here on Day 5 of my TR.
Scroll down to 3/4 of the page or so PAST the fireworks. All the parade under the fireworks are with the 50mm and no flash.
Those pics pretty good. What were the settings you ended up using? IE ISO, shutter speed, f stop etc? Light metering center/ multi?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Honestly I did change it up here and there but for the most part, what worked best for me was Shutter Priority 1/30 to 1/60 ISO3200. Depending on the shot, it would still take the aperture all the way open to 1.8 although sometimes not so much. Metering was spot in the center.
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

So what will I do this year? I don't know. I do think I prefer the non-flash photos. But not using a flash also cost me some shots. I was using a 2.8 zoom at 3200 ISO but still couldn't quite keep my shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action all the time, so I did end up with a few soft shots. But overall I was happy enough to know I'll ditch the flash again. My only question at this point is whether I'll ditch the 2.8 lens, giving up my zoom, in favor of a faster prime of some sort.

I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Canon 50mm f/1.8 but just don't know if either of those is what I'm really looking for. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe something a little longer??? I guess I don't know what I'm looking for.
Great photos!

I am going to get a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 with their vibration control. I think that will wind up being my go to lens at the park.

I just got my canon T4i and only have the 18-55 kit lens and I bought the 50-250 from B&H for $150.

I'm trying to figure out what other lens(es) I can afford. I am wanting something like a 18-24 f1.4~ (or perhaps a prime f1.4 instead) and a 70-200 f2.8.

I'll be looking for the MVMCP shots as well a week at WDW of 'walk around' needs.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: