Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I don't believe you can get the dining plan at S/D no matter who you book through.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
cgattis
DIS Veteran

I also disagree about it being dirty. We found it to be spotless. With a government rate (or if unavailable, AAA), the location, EMH and transportation, just can't be matched by Disney unless some PIN comes out, and that's not always the dates we can travel. As OP said, Disney is going to have to really TRY to pull us away. Stayed first time in December, going back in 4 weeks, and about to book for SWW. I think I'm pretty well hooked.
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

I own DVC points, am an AP holder and go often. I have stayed at all the deluxe resorts and several of the mods and values. I have also stayed at Swan and Dolphin several times. I absolutely love the Swan and love the Swan's price. I find it definitely more deluxe than Disney. The Heavenly beds, the deluxe linens, the beautiful rooms and the wonderful S/D restaurants are great. If you want a little theming they have a character breakfast on the weekends. Like others I find the theming in the parks meets my needs. I don't like ME as I find it neither magical nor express, so don't miss it at Swan. You have the same package delivery the same transportation and the same great location. If I can get an AP discount it will sometimes bring the cost down to the Swan's and sometimes I can't get into the Swan. I am going in 6 weeks with my DGD6 and she wants the BC so we are going there on my AP, but personally I love the Swan - much more heavenly with the water, the newspaper and internet that actually works.... And really yes you do pay a $15 a day resort fee, but the cost is still wayyyy lower than BC, YC or BWI....
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #34
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

We liked it, but not as much as Disney deluxe. We would pick there over all values and mods for sure, mostly for location, and over OKW SSR AKLV because of location.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
legaleagal
Earning My Ears

My issue with staying at a Disney Deluxe is that I keep reading how tired and out dated the rooms are. For what the deluxe resorts costs, I want something nicer, more modern. We have always stayed offsite.... But are coming this November and seriously considering onsite this time. I want to be close to Epcot so considering the Swan or Dolphin.

Do those of you that have stayed at the BC, YC or Boardwalk disagree? I thought since the S/D are Westin and Sheraton, they would be nicer rooms??

We have a 13 year old and don't care about theming, ME or free dining. Really like the EMH though!

Thoughts please???
legaleagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #36
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

The rooms are really nice at the Swan and Dolphin. I find them to be much more updated (duvets instead of bedspreads), nicer mattresses, fully functional wifi, etc. We used to stay there a lot when we lived in FL, because we could get great discounts. I think the prices are a steal for the location. The gift shops sell Disney merchandise, and you can even pin trade in the gift shops off a big pin board. If you don't feel like spending $200 extra dollars a night for hidden mickeys in the carpet, I'd pick the Swan/Dolphin in a heartbeat!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #37
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagal View Post
My issue with staying at a Disney Deluxe is that I keep reading how tired and out dated the rooms are. For what the deluxe resorts costs, I want something nicer, more modern. We have always stayed offsite.... But are coming this November and seriously considering onsite this time. I want to be close to Epcot so considering the Swan or Dolphin.

Do those of you that have stayed at the BC, YC or Boardwalk disagree? I thought since the S/D are Westin and Sheraton, they would be nicer rooms??

We have a 13 year old and don't care about theming, ME or free dining. Really like the EMH though!

Thoughts please???
I would say, just comparing the rooms as if they were regular hotels, S&D are nicer. On the flip side, I think there's that indefinable quality of Disney hospitality that you can only get at a Disney resort. Having said that, I haven't found the rooms at BWV to be run down or anything. And the service at S&D is just fine. It's just a matter of degrees.

For us, we really need the 1BDR suite when we can get it and BWV is the best option for that. But when we're on a tight budget for a short trip we can get by with a regular room and then S&D become attractive options. We'd like to try BCV on our next short trip (F&W) but it will all depend on our finances and discounts. For us the absolute most important criteria is location, so all of the Epcot resorts are a good option for us.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I like the Swan best but they are both nice resorts. The idea that they are not Disney enough could bother some people but a lot of DISers say that about Disney's own moderates and deluxes too. It's just a matter of perspective and what you want when you vacation.

The location is amazing! I think that the only things missing are the dining plan and Magical Express if you want those.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
legaleagal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I like the Swan best but they are both nice resorts. The idea that they are not Disney enough could bother some people but a lot of DISers say that about Disney's own moderates and deluxes too. It's just a matter of perspective and what you want when you vacation.

The location is amazing! I think that the only things missing are the dining plan and Magical Express if you want those.
Planogirl.....We live in Frisco, TX too!! Small world
legaleagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Stayed last spring, just not quite the Disney feel for us-but liked it and will stay again. Did mid trip so still enjoyed ME.

Last edited by jade1; 09-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
jade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #41
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Loved our stay at the Dolphin. I have pictures of our rooms (we stayed in 3 different rooms there) and the hotel in the trip report in my signature. The location is awesome, and for us it was cheaper than staying at a Disney moderate.

I will say that our first room was on a floor that smelled weird. It wasn't a bad smell, just weird. We switched to a king-sized bed room so it became a non-issue, and then were upgraded to a HUGE suite after that.

Last edited by Belle83; 09-08-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #42
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagal View Post
Planogirl.....We live in Frisco, TX too!! Small world

I love those pictures! That is my type of place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: