Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #46
tinkerbelt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I don't know why that would be funny--but yes, the freeway is actually faster.

Orange County is actually not that bad for traffic on the freeways. They are much wider and have better off and on ramps than Los Angeles. Driving through L.A. freeways is frustrating for many reasons--and not just the traffic. It is an old system that never really worked well in the first place. When we finally get towards Orange County, it all opens up and the freeway works much more smoothly.

I find driving on the surface streets in L.A. and Orange County to be a very slow process--because there is a lot of street traffic, and you have to deal with all the long lights and people turning into stores and that kind of thing. The drive from Long Beach Airport isn't that bad--it is only about 10 minutes longer than SNA, but I like the SNA airport and drive much better. I know some people are partial to Long Beach. Either one is a much better choice than LAX any day for going to Disneyland.
I agree that the freeways in Orange County are much better than the ones in LA, but the 5 and the 55 are really busy, and get really backed up for a good chunk of the day.

tinkerbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #47
mrswh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I don't know why that would be funny--but yes, the freeway is actually faster.
Um. It was a joke about how bad the traffic is on SoCal freeways. I am not saying that SNA isn't closer or easier than LGB (or disagreeing with your advice), just laughing at the idea that you wouldn't have to contend with stop & go traffic on the 5 and 55.

On our most recent trip, on the way from SNA to DLR, we were sitting in traffic on the 55 (as I have come to expect). I went to "check in" on FB and guess what popped up? "The 55 Freeway Parking Lot."

On the way back to the airport, we were on the 5 and the traffic wasn't awful but we had to avoid furniture in the road that had fallen off a truck, and later the police (who appeared to be trying to apprehend someone) shut down the highway right in front of us.

There are two choices with SoCal freeways - laugh or cry. I choose to laugh.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #48
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

We flew out of SNA after our last Disney Cruise and DL trip and it was amazing! LOVED it. Will never go LAX again if I can help it.

This Nov we fly into SNA for DL and out of LGB after the cruise part. I am thrilled with the pricing and hope LGB adds another great option like SNA
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #49
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Just did another CA trip for work (no DL trip -- boo) and flew JetBlue into LGB from BOS. Great flight times, direct flights and cheaper by a good amount. The airport itself is very retro. Under construction but I don't know what the improvements are. Right now you walk on the tarmac getting on and off the plane which was great on arrival because you could deplane from front and back doors which made the process super fast. I didn't have problems with car rental but I am Emerald Executive Club or something so I just pick a car and go. On my flight out I did notice that all the local flights to Las Vegas, SLC, NorCal were all delayed ... Not sure what was up but my red eye to BOS seemed to be the only flight going out on time. Now having done all 3 my order of preference is SNA, LGB and LAX.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: