DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Using points for cruise..allotment full?

Hi everyone. I call DVC today when I was toying of using my points for a cruise (for the first time) the CM told me that for the month I was considering it was not possible because they have hit their allotment. I didn't even know that was possible. She said I would have to wait until next year.

Now it's not a big deal because it is semi-last minute I guess, as it is for the first week of December.What is this?

OT-I am just having a harder and harder time lately finding anything available under 5months out. I know it's not the nature of DVC and we usually plan way in advance, but this time we couldn't for certain reasons and being DH is an Accountant Jan- June is basically a no-no. So it seems planning anything for the end of this year with points aside from Aulani is impossible. I have never had this problem in years past. I remember I even booked a trip for New Years at Saratoga 3 months out a few years back. Aulani or cash on the Fantasy might be the only way to go!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

IMO the "extras" other than DVC stays, DCL, RCI, and the other point bookings are there for marketing purposes so Disney limits DVC availability. They also made the extras a poor value but that doesn't seem to matter.

Disney would rather book cash guests on DCL.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
IMO the "extras" other than DVC stays, DCL, RCI, and the other point bookings are there for marketing purposes so Disney limits DVC availability. They also made the extras a poor value but that doesn't seem to matter.

Disney would rather book cash guests on DCL.

Bill
Yeah, those CMs on the DCL ships just don't like being paid in DVC points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

happened to us years back. everyone decided on a last minute december trip. we ended up going with Disney collection, at AKL on CL (before it became DVC). my sister in a wilderness cabin at Fort Wilderness (pretty nice actually). ms gave us limited availability as far as dates and choices in the collection, but we were able to reserve a trip & everyone had a great time.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Ok makes sense. I know they are a poor value but we have been to WDW already this year, and don't plan a on going next year because we plan to fingers crossed start a family. We would just like to use our points even if it is not a "great value". I guess we could bank them if we had to but we are planning vacation the Dec no matter what and it may involove a Disney Destination so it would be nice to use it.

Thanks everyone!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

For what it's worth we planed a cruise about a year out 4 night bahamian on the dream and thought it was well worth our points.A CM even called us about 2 weeks before the cruise and offered us an upgrade .
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
Hi everyone. I call DVC today when I was toying of using my points for a cruise (for the first time) the CM told me that for the month I was considering it was not possible because they have hit their allotment. I didn't even know that was possible. She said I would have to wait until next year.

Now it's not a big deal because it is semi-last minute I guess, as it is for the first week of December.What is this?

OT-I am just having a harder and harder time lately finding anything available under 5months out. I know it's not the nature of DVC and we usually plan way in advance, but this time we couldn't for certain reasons and being DH is an Accountant Jan- June is basically a no-no. So it seems planning anything for the end of this year with points aside from Aulani is impossible. I have never had this problem in years past. I remember I even booked a trip for New Years at Saratoga 3 months out a few years back. Aulani or cash on the Fantasy might be the only way to go!
December is a busy time and as you mentioned, does fill up fast. But keep trying as I was able last year to put together a last minute trip for December and only started looking at the end of October.

The great piece of the online system is that you can check multiple times and I have had things pop up in the afternoon that were not there in the morning.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post

Just another risk of trying to use points for DCL or the like. Under 5 months is tough, best to plan earlier if possible even if you end up canceling later.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Another reason points cruises are limited is because DVC has to give CRO a room to rent in a DVC resort and that has gotten harder to do without big discounts.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran

you could always try renting the points out... and do a cruise on the cash (or go somewhere else). If you do not want to deal with the hassle of finding and screening potential renters... you can just look on the DVC point rental thread on the DIS and there are rental organizations that will do the work for you ...
Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Cruise July 2013* Spring Break on the Wonder March 2014

Canada * England * Belgium * Netherlands * France * Denmark * Sweden * Norway * Austria * Hungary * Yugoslavia * Spain * Morocco * Egypt * Mexico * Germany * Caribbean
Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: