Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #151
dclpluto
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB

interesting. how would you rate the food on your previous 11 dcl cruises? was this cruise an anomaly?

RB
You can usually count on the fast food as being good.plutos,goofys,pinochio but not on this cruise. The cheeseburger was not good i ate it but it was cold and a little undercook.at goofys i had a roast beef sandwich very little roast beef on it. For pizza the selections were poor and a lot of thin crust.went to the steakhouse buffet the steaks were not even worth getting. The dinners were about the same. I love dcl and i dont cruise for the food i will still be back over and over but it will be nice to get some good food.
dclpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #152
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclpluto

You can usually count on the fast food as being good.plutos,goofys,pinochio but not on this cruise. The cheeseburger was not good i ate it but it was cold and a little undercook.at goofys i had a roast beef sandwich very little roast beef on it. For pizza the selections were poor and a lot of thin crust.went to the steakhouse buffet the steaks were not even worth getting. The dinners were about the same. I love dcl and i dont cruise for the food i will still be back over and over but it will be nice to get some good food.
So Cal AAA Westways magazine printed a review of the Fantasy and they agreed with you! They listed the pizza and burgers as what they didn't like: "watched them being made fresh, they still tasted blah, like they'd been frozen." No other mention of the food but they did like the safety drill and entertainment!!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #153
dmi188
DIS Veteran

We found on the Dream last month, that the food quality has indeed declined in the last couple of years. Still love Palo tho, and the service was great everywhere.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #154
jerseybean
Earning My Ears

I have only sailed twice on the magic and found the food to be good.
My only moans would be the room service, cold and bland both trips. Also found the pizza on the first cruise, 11 night med to be dreadful, however the second, 7 night med it was pretty good.
I cant re-call any bad dishes in the MDR's, apart from just disliking a dish which was promptly changed for another.
jerseybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #155
RRB
No other place like it (WDW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclpluto View Post
October will be our 13th cruise. I haven't been on DCL in a while so i don't remember too many details of the food quality. I remember the MD areas ranging from OK to surprisingly good and Palo being really good. We are on the Fream next month and I'm hoping for good food
Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #156
nordkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclpluto View Post
Just got off the magic yesterday it was my 12th on dcl. The food was the worst i had on dcl. But i dont cruise for the food. I will still be coming back to dcl again and again.
Same cruise and our 10th cruise. I absolutely agree with you.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #157
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkin

Same cruise and our 10th cruise. I absolutely agree with you.
Wonder why do bad on that cruise?
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #158
dlhvac
THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreaming92701

Wonder why do bad on that cruise?
Did any of you complain and ask for the dining supervisor or the chef

dlhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #159
dlhvac
THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhvac

Did any of you complain and ask for the dining supervisor or the chef
Did anyone reorder something else

dlhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #160
tortoni
DIS Veteran

I was on that cruise and we liked the food very much. Palo was excellent, dinners in the MDRs were very good and the buffets and fast food venues were fine for a quick bite. We also ordered from room service and were satisfied with our cheese plate, BLT and Mickey Bars.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #161
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhvac View Post
Did anyone reorder something else
One night on the Wonder our waiter saw that I wasn't eating (some sort of seafood pasta that sounded much better on the menu than the way it tasted.) He offered to bring me something different. I wasn't hungry enough to press the issue, but he was concerned enough to offer.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #162
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

did anyone find that after the dinner seating the food was a scare commodity?? Maybe we were looking in the wrong areas because the only thing we could find after like 9PM was the beverage station. If you slept thru dinner (guilty!!) it was like they had you on a diet. I was so hungry when I got off that ship - and no, I am not as big as a ship (size 12 @ 5ft 1in).

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #163
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
did anyone find that after the dinner seating the food was a scare commodity?? Maybe we were looking in the wrong areas because the only thing we could find after like 9PM was the beverage station. If you slept thru dinner (guilty!!) it was like they had you on a diet. I was so hungry when I got off that ship - and no, I am not as big as a ship (size 12 @ 5ft 1in).
Room service is 24 hours.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #164
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
YES! I thought we were the only ones. This was our first cruise but we had heard so much about the food on cruises. Although, no one we knew had sailed with DCL. We were surprised at the limited availability..and selections.
Even upon our return when asked by friends regarding the food we had to admit it didn't appear to be nearly what was available on other lines.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #165
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Just got off the Wonder yesterday, and had a great time. Staff was amazing, the ship was gorgeous, and we are already looking forward to a future cruise. But with who...? Because we love good food and frankly, we didn't have much--hubby loved his lamb dish at Palo, and we both enjoyed brunch there, mostly eating the buffet items, but that's it.

I swear I am not as picky as this sounds, but I didn't have one single meal that I fully enjoyed on the ship. Bland, overcooked, lukewarm, over-salted, tasted like frozen food or school lunches. Even Palo overcooked my shrimp and steak (and the waiter failed to bring an entire course we had ordered, which only contributed to my disappointment).

Is this normal? What was your experience? I would love some perspective, because this is actually one of the sticking points in deciding if we want to cruise with Disney again or try another line. We love our Disney vacations for the decor, theming, and service; and we have read about people actually liking the food on Disney, so I had to wonder if somehow we got a bad kitchen experience on this cruise? Or if our idea of good food is vastly different from the reviewers we have read. For instance Red Lobster is NOT "good food" in our book, but we would eat there and find a thing or two that would satisfy. If our cruise on the Wonder were a restaurant, we would never go back.

So question for y'all who have cruised Disney before: tell me of your food experiences, good and bad. And for reference, what kinds of foods do you enjoy eating at home? For instance, if you regularly eat at McDonald's and Long John Silvers, and if you use that as a basis for comparison for "good food" then I have an idea of your personal 1-to-10 scale, know what I mean? It is not my intention to judge anyone's food choices and I hope that this thread will stay on topic without any personal barbs. I just want to gauge why I read so many good reviews of Disney food when my one experience was SO BAD--is this an isolated incident, or is it a case of taste/preference/perspective?
Reference-wise: Love to eat, hate to waste calories on bad food. Haven't enjoyed McDonalds since they stopped frying the french fries in animal fat, hate Olive Garden, can tolerate Macaroni Grill (does that translate to the west coast?), and for dinner tonight I made shrimp in poblano cream (with linguine). It was delicious.

And....got off the Magic a week ago tomorrow (sigh). It was our third DCL trip (always on the Magic, three years apart) and we had a wonderful time, but I have to say, the food was a bit of a disappointment. Palo, wonderful, Goofy's Galley for fruit and tortilla wrap sandwiches, yum, otherwise, meh. Although the menus have not changed drastically, they have made some modifications. I was happy to see the additions, but was disappointed when I ordered (for example, the turkey on the Prince and Princesses menu, the turkey was OK, but the stuffing was mush. The red snapper on the Til we Meet Again menu, too salty, and the sauce was more a broth and could have used alot more veggies).

All that said, I still gained weight (although only 3 pounds), and I am pretty sure we don't pick DCL solely for the food.

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: