Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #151
rn4val
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

I really would like to come on this cruise. I have never cruised before. I would love to go on a Disney cruise but no one else I know is a Disney nut like me.So this seems a perfect opportunity to go on a cruise and be around people who are Disney nuts. LOL. My husband won't go because he won't fly. So trying to get a friend to go with me. She sounds interested. Is there a cut off date when prices are going up? Will probabley fly into Ft Lauderdale so won't need the transfer. I was able to go to Disappaloza and loved it.
2008 AKV
2011 OKW
rn4val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #152
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

Unfortunately we never really know for sure when pricing can change. Currently we are holding group space at the pricing provided, but RCL does have the right to revoke unbooked space.

Just a reminder that the cruise deposit is fully refundable up until final payment date. We can cancel one or both of you, or change the name of your travelling companion any time until final payment date. We can still make changes after final payment is made, however this usually results in change fees and penalties.

If anyone is sitting on the fence, it is nice to know it is risk free. You can book now to lock in the best price, but still get your depsoit back if your plans change and you cancel by final payment date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn4val View Post
I really would like to come on this cruise. I have never cruised before. I would love to go on a Disney cruise but no one else I know is a Disney nut like me.So this seems a perfect opportunity to go on a cruise and be around people who are Disney nuts. LOL. My husband won't go because he won't fly. So trying to get a friend to go with me. She sounds interested. Is there a cut off date when prices are going up? Will probabley fly into Ft Lauderdale so won't need the transfer. I was able to go to Disappaloza and loved it.

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #153
rn4val

When would final payment be due? Will there be any group activities.?
2008 AKV
2011 OKW
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #154
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
When would final payment be due? Will there be any group activities.?
Final payment will be due 6/1/2013. You will receive email notification from Dreams Unlimited Travel well before the final payment date so you that you can make the decision to cancel or not without penalty.

Yes, we will have events planned. It is way too far out to even speculate what we might be doing but I assure you there will be meets, activities and events.

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #155
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

Check out my new thread here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2978611

I am sailing on the Allure this week to do some research for our group, follow along with my live updates!!

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #156
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Highly considering this but I honestly can't commit to anything till after the October trip I'll be going on so far the earliest would be mid November to early December but highly considering it that is if the prices don't get to much higher than they are at the moment.

I love and trust Disney but their cruises are beyond what I am able to pay for a vacation of that type. RCL seems much more affordable and the things to do on the ship seem comparable to Disney if not more so. The fact I'll have a ton of people on the ship like minded and to hang out with seems the reason to go of course.

The only thing keeping me is the whole weird cruise fears of boredom, sinking and illness. I however am becoming so curious to these vacations I'm considering it. Plus it helps that as soon as I heard of the Oasis it actually was one of the first ships I considered trying for a first time, I think it's fate that The Dis is doing a cruise on it.

So my actual reason for posting is to ask would this be a great first cruise experience for those having not cruised before or worried about cruising? I always told myself if I did cruise it would be with Disney but the Oasis is truly a tempting ship!

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #157
rn4val

This would be my first cruise too. Still trying to get a friend to travel with me but if I go ahead and book for 2 and then travel alone would they just reduce the rate ?
2008 AKV
2011 OKW
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #158
EJKorvette
Earning My Ears

To all first-time cruisers on the Oasis of the Seas - here is a dinner recommendation. Actually it's a warning.

Do NOT order the "Beef Stroganoff" when it appears on the menu in the Main Dining Room. What you actually get bears little resemblance to what you were expecting.

I already commented this here on these boards and over on cruisecritic.com, and I believe it was mentioned in one of the podcasts also.

From there to here
From here to there
Funny things
Are Everywhere!
-- Theodor K. Geisl (1903 - 1991)

Stayed at: Every Disney on-property Resort EXCEPT:
Boardwalk, AS Movies, Shades of Green, that new one

Been up to the World:
Dec 72 - MK May 92 - EPCOT May 96 - MK
after that, will have to get out all the room keys I saved
EJKorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #159
TSR6
CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post

So my actual reason for posting is to ask would this be a great first cruise experience for those having not cruised before or worried about cruising? I always told myself if I did cruise it would be with Disney but the Oasis is truly a tempting ship!
I sailed on the Allure of the Seas as my first cruise back in April. (The Allure is the "sister" ship to the Oasis. The Allure, only due to the metals & manufacturing is roughly 7cm longer than the Oasis.... lol - Making it the largest cruise ship in the world.)

These ships are similar in size to most aircraft carriers. You'll be fine! On our cruise, it got a little stormy on the way back home from St. Maarten for the last two days. That was the first time I really felt anything moving walking inside the ship. It's not bad at all...

I took this video from one of our excursions (glass bottom boat) during the cruise, and it really shows just how large this ship is in port - Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIkoxsz2Ko
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #160
Princessclab
Earning My Ears

Quote:
This would be my first cruise too. Still trying to get a friend to travel with me but if I go ahead and book for 2 and then travel alone would they just reduce the rate ?
Generally there would not be a rate reduction. The single supplement for cruising is usually 200% (you pay for double occupancy) even though there is only one person in the cabin. IMO it is cruel and grossly unfair policy for someone who is traveling as one person. Hotels usually don't but most cruiselines book it that way. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #161
rn4val

Smile

So excited! Just booked the cruise .my sister in law and I are going ( my husband won't fly and I don't want to drive all the way to Florida). This is my first cruise so I know as it gets closer will have lots of questions
2008 AKV
2011 OKW

Last edited by rn4val; 09-08-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Left out word
Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #162
rn4val

We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise. Does any one have a suggestion for hotels close to the port ?
2008 AKV
2011 OKW
Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #163
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise. Does any one have a suggestion for hotels close to the port?
The Crowne Plaza is one of the newest hotels in the area. The Embassy Suites is also good.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #164
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise. Does any one have a suggestion for hotels close to the port ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
The Crowne Plaza is one of the newest hotels in the area. The Embassy Suites is also good.
Mike, Are there any Marriott family hotels that you would recommend? I've got status with them and try to concentrate my hotel stays there (except for WDW of course!). What about Starwood Hotels?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #165
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Mike, Are there any Marriott family hotels that you would recommend? I've got status with them and try to concentrate my hotel stays there (except for WDW of course!). What about Starwood Hotels?
There is a Sheraton just West of FLL airport that's pretty good. There are of course the Sheratons on Ft Lauderdale Beach - a bit further from the port.

As for Marriotts, I know of the one on Hollywood Beach, a few miles south of the port that's really nice - right on the Broadwalk.

There is also one in Ft Lauderdale Beach, but I've never visited it.

It will all depend how far you want to stay from the port - but the locations I've listed aren't very far.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: