Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #61
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
We didn't even let our daughters drive at 16. They had to be at least 17. Plus, there were very strict rules that went along. No driving around your friends and no riding with their friends (unless they had been driving for over a year).

Our oldest moved to the city and didn't have a car for 4 years and didn't care. She has one now and is rediscovering driving a car.
I've lived the bulk of my life in rural areas. There's no going ANYWHERE without driving. We weren't able to get permits at 15 like they do now. My 16th was on a Sunday & Monday morning Dad & I were at the DMV for my written test. I had never driven on a public road before. 30 minutes later, we were back for the driver's portion & that night Mom handed me some cash and a grocery list, pointed to the door and said, "go". I was immediately responsible for not only getting myself everywhere I wanted or needed to be, but also my little sister. Wanna go to the movies with your friends tonight? No problem, here's the keys - oh, and drop your sister off at her friend's house (15 miles out of the way)

Granted, I had a go-cart as a kid & dirt bikes, so I had some comprehension of speed & how to operate a vehicle. Our driveway was 1/2 mile long (easement through the neighbor's farm) and Dad taught me to drive a stick at 11, and a tractor at 12. I rowed a lot of gears on that little road My driveway isn't nearly as long, but my 7 year old has been steering on my lap for several years. DD11 has moved up to operating the pedals herself - I sit next to her in case she needs any help, but so far, so good.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #62
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I've lived the bulk of my life in rural areas. There's no going ANYWHERE without driving. We weren't able to get permits at 15 like they do now. My 16th was on a Sunday & Monday morning Dad & I were at the DMV for my written test. I had never driven on a public road before. 30 minutes later, we were back for the driver's portion & that night Mom handed me some cash and a grocery list, pointed to the door and said, "go". I was immediately responsible for not only getting myself everywhere I wanted or needed to be, but also my little sister. Wanna go to the movies with your friends tonight? No problem, here's the keys - oh, and drop your sister off at her friend's house (15 miles out of the way)

Granted, I had a go-cart as a kid & dirt bikes, so I had some comprehension of speed & how to operate a vehicle. Our driveway was 1/2 mile long (easement through the neighbor's farm) and Dad taught me to drive a stick at 11, and a tractor at 12. I rowed a lot of gears on that little road My driveway isn't nearly as long, but my 7 year old has been steering on my lap for several years. DD11 has moved up to operating the pedals herself - I sit next to her in case she needs any help, but so far, so good.
the same exact thing happened to me! i already had a car, so, once i got my license, my mom put all the weekly errands in my hands, and i was on my own!

my DH learned to drive on a tractor too, on his family's farm. we live there now, but really don't farm, so no tractor. DD14 has driven the riding lawnmower a couple of times, but she really doesn't like to do it.
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #63
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
the same exact thing happened to me! i already had a car, so, once i got my license, my mom put all the weekly errands in my hands, and i was on my own!

my DH learned to drive on a tractor too, on his family's farm. we live there now, but really don't farm, so no tractor. DD14 has driven the riding lawnmower a couple of times, but she really doesn't like to do it.
No tractor? I'd be lost w/o mine & I only have 7 acres
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #64
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
No tractor? I'd be lost w/o mine & I only have 7 acres
that is awesome! we have 75 acres, all but 2-3 acres of which are wooded, so we really don't need a tractor. i think DH's grandfather just liked to ride around the property on his tractor, lol.

i can't even get DD14 to drive up the driveway from the mailbox, so my chances of actually getting her out on the road don't look promising.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #65
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Just thought I would add to one of those with a child that didn't want to drive. DD 19 (as of today) didn't want to drive either. I had to make her. She is my oldest and I needed some relief from driving 3 kids to activities. She failed her test the first time and I had never seen her so upset. She took it again about 6 months later. This time she passed. She did drive herself to school and to dance. She helped transport siblings when it was absolutely necessary. To this day she tries to get out of driving whenever she can. My friend's daughter who is 18 was the same way about driving. Her mom had to force her into driving and she still avoids it when possible. I don't think she got a permit until she was almost 17. In our state you can get one at age 15. DS is now 16. He couldn't wait to drive. I don't have to ask him twice to go somewhere which brings a whole new set of worries as his best friend lives on the other side of town from us and about 2 miles on a hilly highway. I keep reminding myself that I lived 5 miles out of the city limits at his age and a way worse highway.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #66
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

There ARE folks who just detest driving. Mrs. Tex is one of them, and she's at least couple of weeks past 16. She's not afraid to drive, but she'd just rather not. I understand the people who are nonplussed by a teenager who isn't interested in driving, but as someone who drives Austin traffic daily, I can certainly see their point.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #67
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
She failed her test the first time and I had never seen her so upset.
I said earlier that very, very few of my high schoolers don't want to drive, BUT those who don't USUALLY have had a bad experience and didn't take it well. It's as if they fear that one mistake behind the wheel cannot be corrected, as if they fear they won't learn to do better.

My youngest, who has a permit, made a big mistake the other day: Even though I was instructing her, she pulled out the wrong direction from the grocery store (I guess she thought she was going back to school instead of home?) and was TERRIFIED when she realized she'd just pulled into oncoming traffic and couldn't move because she'd trapped herself next to a median. It was a bad mistake, but the guy who was heading towards us realized it and stopped, leaving space for a three-point turn. Seeing that she wasn't going to recover, I threw the car in park, ran around and jumped in the driver's seat -- by the time I opened the door, she had already climbed over into the passenger seat. I whipped us around (much to the amusement of the guy who'd stopped to prevent the wreck), and I drove us through the intersection towards home while my daughter cried and cried. But I wasn't going to let her give up. So I pulled into a church, and we sat there for a good 20 minutes while she cried and screamed that she COULD NOT DO THIS. I told her that we would wait as long as necessary, but SHE WOULD be driving us home. Finally, she did. If I'd let her stew over it all night, I don't know how she would've reacted the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
There ARE folks who just detest driving. Mrs. Tex is one of them, and she's at least couple of weeks past 16. She's not afraid to drive, but she'd just rather not. I understand the people who are nonplussed by a teenager who isn't interested in driving, but as someone who drives Austin traffic daily, I can certainly see their point.
I understand what you're saying. I personally do not enjoy the act of driving. I also have little appreciation for a fine car. If I could get everywhere I need to go without driving, I would not miss it. But, at the same time, I don't hate it, and I do value being able to go where I want to go under my own steam.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #68
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

This thread was on my mind tonight and I took my daughter out driving again. She did wonderfully! So excited for her. She was much more relaxed and it seemed to come back easily. She did make one mistake. As we were driving down the boulevard the lights ahead were all green but our upcoming light was red. She was too busy chatting and looking ahead instead of what was right in front of over. I didn't yell but I did say 'YOU HAVE A RED LIGHT". She applied the brakes correctly (without panicking and slamming on them) and kind of sat there silently. I told her maybe a little less chatter next time and that this was a prime example of what I've been telling her all along -- be ready for the unexpected. It was a lesson that I'm sure she's learned from and a mistake she won't make again. I feel better about her driving and so does she. I think this was a great day for both of us.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #69
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
My youngest, who has a permit, made a big mistake the other day: Even though I was instructing her, she pulled out the wrong direction from the grocery store (I guess she thought she was going back to school instead of home?) and was TERRIFIED when she realized she'd just pulled into oncoming traffic and couldn't move because she'd trapped herself next to a median. It was a bad mistake, but the guy who was heading towards us realized it and stopped, leaving space for a three-point turn. Seeing that she wasn't going to recover, I threw the car in park, ran around and jumped in the driver's seat -- by the time I opened the door, she had already climbed over into the passenger seat. I whipped us around (much to the amusement of the guy who'd stopped to prevent the wreck), and I drove us through the intersection towards home while my daughter cried and cried. But I wasn't going to let her give up. So I pulled into a church, and we sat there for a good 20 minutes while she cried and screamed that she COULD NOT DO THIS. I told her that we would wait as long as necessary, but SHE WOULD be driving us home. Finally, she did. If I'd let her stew over it all night, I don't know how she would've reacted the next day. I understand what you're saying. I personally do not enjoy the act of driving. I also have little appreciation for a fine car. If I could get everywhere I need to go without driving, I would not miss it. But, at the same time, I don't hate it, and I do value being able to go where I want to go under my own steam.
Oh dear Lord I don't miss those days at all! We had so many of those moments with our DD. She did not take to driving like her brothers. Now that all my children are adults I look back and can honestly say the hardest part of being a parent for me was a) teaching them to drive, and b) letting them go off on their own when they first get their license. Thank God those days are behind me!

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: