DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseaider View Post
We own a BWV 100 point contract and a SSR 55 point contract. Here are our reasons for doing this.

We only need studios for my DW and I.

We didn't want to finance.

We were planning a trip for a special anniversary to Hawaii and found out about DVC building Aulani.

We wanted to be sure we can visit every year.

When I found the BWV contract and it had 100 points banked we jumped on it. We used money that was saved for our Hawaii trip and added money we would have spent for our next WDW trip and had enough for the purchase.

After our first trip on points we loved it so much we decided to purchase the SSR contract (also had banked points) so we'd have enough for Aulani.

It all worked to perfection and we enjoyed our Aulani trip.

We don't cringe when the maintenance fees need to be paid and we will enjoy WDW for several years to come.

If and when we decide to sell the two small contracts should sell easily.

Also, once a UY, we transfer in points from other Disney resorts, as needed ... works well!

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd

no,no, no. You are confused. Lets say I have 50 at BLT, SSR, and OKW. You can bank and borrow using up to 150 pts total at one time. So if I buy BLT in 2008, I can use 2008, 2009, and 2010 pts in the 2009 year. I won't be able to book at 11 months at BLT with 150 pts until 2012 using 2011, 2012, and 2013 pts. So then in the 2010 year at say SSR, I would use 2009,2010, 2011 SSR points, and I wouldn't be able do SSR again until 2013. Then in 2011 you book at OKW with 2010,2011,and 2012 pts. Do you see? Then in 2012, you repeat at BLT.

You are never able to combine different resort points and book at 11 months. but you can bank, and borrow pts at one resort to use up 3 years pts at one time.
I have another question about this though... So if you own the 3 50 point contracts... The most points you'll ever have at any one time is 150? You could never book a room that was 160 or 200 points because points can't cross over contracts?
MrSanderz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanderz27 View Post
I have another question about this though... So if you own the 3 50 point contracts... The most points you'll ever have at any one time is 150? You could never book a room that was 160 or 200 points because points can't cross over contracts?
if you have the 50 point contract you can bank & borrow for that contract so 150 points there. same with the other contract 50 points you can bank & borrow= another 150 points. now you may have a year where you only bank 8 points or 20 points from a contract. but under your membership, these contracts will be combined. so you will see a total of x number of points for the entire year & then you also see per contract. with a little planning, small contracts can work.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can combine points at 7 months out, so unless you're booking a really hard to get view/time of year, you should be able to add nights using your other points.

Edited to add: Having multiple small contracts at different resorts works much better for people who plan to travel to Disney every year. Otherwise, by banking/borrowing on multiple contracts, you stand a much greater chance of losing points.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

You can combine points at 7 months out, so unless you're booking a really hard to get view/time of year, you should be able to add nights using your other points.

Edited to add: Having multiple small contracts at different resorts works much better for people who plan to travel to Disney every year. Otherwise, by banking/borrowing on multiple contracts, you stand a much greater chance of losing points.
I see... So points can be combined across contracts for booking 7 months out but not at the 11 month date.

This may be another silly question, but do you have to have the points available to make a reservation or do you just need to have enough points when the reservation comes around.

Example: if I have 50 points available now and want to book a room in 7 months that requires 100 points and I know I'll be getting 100 more points next month... Would I have to wait to book next month once I have the required points or would I be able to book now since I'll have the required points when the trip actually comes around? I guess another way to look at it would be, when do you need to "pay" (with points)... When you book or when you visit? I'm thinking it's when you book but want to clarify.

Thanks again for everyone's help and for taking time to help educate me on DVC!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see... So points can be combined across contracts for booking 7 months out but not at the 11 month date.

This may be another silly question, but do you have to have the points available to make a reservation or do you just need to have enough points when the reservation comes around.

Example: if I have 50 points available now and want to book a room in 7 months that requires 100 points and I know I'll be getting 100 more points next month... Would I have to wait to book next month once I have the required points or would I be able to book now since I'll have the required points when the trip actually comes around? I guess another way to look at it would be, when do you need to "pay" (with points)... When you book or when you visit? I'm thinking it's when you book but want to clarify.

you will follow your booking window, 11 months for the home resort & 7 months non-home resort. to answer your question, you don't have to wait for the points to load to make the reservation. if you have 50 points today and a December use year, December 1 you will get another 50 points. You can still borrow from the the next use year. If you want to reserve for a trip in January or February, whenever, you do not have to wait until your points load -use year to make the reservation. They will deduct them from the appropriate year. Once the reservation is made member services will explain immediately how the points were used, how many are remaining, & if you book online you will see this at the time you reserve.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, points from different contracts can be combined beginning at seven months out (though there is an extra step if the contracts have a different use year).

You have to have the points available when the trip is, not when you make the reservation.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanderz27

The points need to be available at the start of the stay.

I closed on a 200 point BCV contract in August. As soon as I was set up in the systems I made a home resort reservation for March 20-27 2013, the week before the 7 month window opened for my dates. My reservation required 401 points. I used 200 banked 2012 points (I have a February use year) 200 2013 points and 1 borrowed 2014 point.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

Yes, points from different contracts can be combined beginning at seven months out (though there is an extra step if the contracts have a different use year).

You have to have the points available when the trip is, not when you make the reservation.
So does anything prevent you from buying small contracts just to get the 11 month booking advantage?

Example: Say you own a 50 point contract at BLT and a 50 point contract at OKW but want to book a 200 point room at BLT. Would you have to wait until the 7 month mark to book or could you book a 200 point room at 11 months with your BLT contract and then when the trip comes could you pay for it using borrowed points from both your BLT and OKW contract??
Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Different home resort points can only be combined to make a reservation at the 7 month window.

So you could take your hypothetical 50 point BLT contract bank the points and use them the next year with current points and borrowed points from the following year for a total of 150 home resort points at BLT.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Different home resort points can only be combined to make a reservation at the 7 month window.

So you could take your hypothetical 50 point BLT contract bank the points and use them the next year with current points and borrowed points from the following year for a total of 150 home resort points at BLT.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.
Banking and borrowing are FINAL transactions. So if you had a 50 pt contract, and you banked the 50, then the next year used the banked 50 plus current 50, and then borrowed the 50 from next year to make the reservations, you cannot put those borrowed points back. At the 7 month mark, you could use your 50 from another resort, but you can't put the 50 borrowed BLT points back to the future UY. They become current UY points, and must be used by the end of the UY. So no, you couldn't buy 3 50 point contracts at 3 different resorts to skirt 11 month windows. You need to have all the points required to stay at that resort as home resort points to use the 11 month booking advantage.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Example: Say you own a 50 point contract at BLT and a 50 point contract at OKW but want to book a 200 point room at BLT. Would you have to wait until the 7 month mark to book...?
it seems like it's been said already at least 3 or 4 times in this thread: you would have to wait until the 7 month mark.

under no circumstances can you use pts from that OKW contract at 11 months out at BLT (or vice versa). at 11 months out, they are completely separate.

if you own a 1000 pt OKW contract and a 25 pt BLT contract, then at 11 months out you can book BLT with (at most) 75 BLT pts (25 banked BLT pts + 25 current BLT pts + 25 borrowed BLT pts). if you want to book BLT, your OKW pts are completely on the sideline until the 7 month mark. you need the right "currency" at 11 months out, and BLT will not accept OKW pts (of any kind) for booking purposes...you need BLT pts of some sort to book BLT at 11 months out (and the same is true of all the resorts: you need OKW pts of some sort to book OKW at 11 months out).

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So does anything prevent you from buying small contracts just to get the 11 month booking advantage?

Example: Say you own a 50 point contract at BLT and a 50 point contract at OKW but want to book a 200 point room at BLT. Would you have to wait until the 7 month mark to book or could you book a 200 point room at 11 months with your BLT contract and then when the trip comes could you pay for it using borrowed points from both your BLT and OKW contract??
If booking more than 7 months out, only BLT points are valid when booking BLT. They can be current, banked and/or borrowed points but they must be BLT points. The points are taken from your account at the time you make the reservation.

In your example, at 11 months out you could use up to 150 (50 banked + 50 current + 50 borrowed) BLT points to book as many nights as those points allow. At 7 months out you could try to extend your reservation using OKW points, subject to availability.

Another option would be to have another BLT owner transfer 50 BLT points to your account, giving you the 200 BLT points needed to book BLT 11 months out.

Also, if you book BLT 11 months out you cannot substitute non-BLT points into your reservation once inside the 7-month window unless there is availability for the nights/room size/booking category you want at that time. This prevents people from circumventing the home resort points restriction.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljslo View Post
Question: What is the strategy around buying small contracts?

I see that a number of people buy a variety of small (i.e. 50 point - 75 point) contracts.

I get it if you were to buy a bunch of small contracts at the same resort with the same use year - but - I'm not sure why people buy a (let's say) 275 point contract at BLT with a June use year - and then purchase a 50 point contract at AKV with a March use year.... and another 50 point contract at BCV with a August use year...etc, etc...

It seems like managing the points could get VERY confusing and - since we always travel with 5 or more and need a 2 bedroom most of the time - our "point per night" is generally high.

Is the small contract strategy mostly for folks that just need a studio - or am I missing something?

(can u tell I'm looking for an excuse to buy more points)? :-)
I know people that own very small contracts and use them to get a studio a day at a time to use as a respite for pool access, DP, etc while actually staying off property. As for having multiple home resorts and UY with small contracts, I don't think it's reasonable for most situations. Another approach that some take is to have multiple contracts even the same UY and/or home resort for the purpose of having later options which might including selling part and as a legacy to pass on. That approach does come with a price, a second closing plus generally an additional $5-10 a point ignoring difference in home resort prices.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #30
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Another reason someone may want a smaller contract is that they find that after their initial purchase they need just a few more points each year. Maybe for an extra day(s) or larger accommodations (little ones getting older, new additions), or a change in travel time to high season, etc and are tired of borrowing from the following year. If they only need say 32 more points (just a random number) then a 50 point add on would only be needed.

ETA: oops misread the OP's question which was about smaller contracts at other resorts, not add ons.

Last edited by princessaloha; 09-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
princessaloha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: