Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee

Help! Mod vs. deluxe

I need to be away for christmas this year. Found a dis cruise that we like, but it only takes us to the 22nd, so im considering adding on a few days after at WDW, from the 22 to the 26.

Yes, during holiday season. I'm insane.

I am looking at POFQ and Yacht Club. POFQ represents the practical side of me. Half the cost. Has a pool with slide. Has queen beds. Is the smallest of the mods. But it is not near a park, I wont have a car, so will be relying on dis transport. The amenities are not like a deluxe.

Yacht Club represent the dreamy side of me. We've only been at deluxes, and I worry that POFQ will lack in comparison. I want to swim at SAB. But, the kids do want to spend time in the parks, so maybe a mod is better, if we are not going to be at the resort all day? But then, we love epcot, and maybe being at an epcot resort would be best, seeing as we will only be there for a few days?

Could anyone help me think of any pros and cons to help me decide?
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

Since it's Christmas time, I would consider looking at Wilderness Lodge. It is the most like Christmas of anywhere. The price will be more than POFQ, but less than Yacht Club.

If I had to choose between your two, I would go with Yacht Club. SAB is a great pool!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

During that time of year, I don't think I would pick any resort for the pool. No telling if it will be warm enough to actually swim.

If you are not going to spend much time in the room, I would probably go with a mod. I have stayed at POR, not POFQ but they are right next to each other. We love POR - but we have always had a car. Disney transportation is not my favorite. Remember that these 2 resorts will share buses. We did visit POFQ for the food court and weren't overly impressed. It does have a great pool though - again, not sure I would base my decision on this during Christmas.

Have you considered Coronado Springs? This is our favorite of the mods and to us feels most like a deluxe. It has beautiful theming, a nice pool, great food court, has queen sized beds, and doesn't share buses. I just checked and there is lots of availability. Just something to think about!

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I think I'd save $$ and stay at POFQ. You can't guarantee weather will be great for SAB although last year it was beautiful in December while we were there so who knows. Too unpredictable and that's a lot of $$ to be out if you can't use the pool. I'd also consider WL again. Cheaper than YC and as you know so beautiful at Christmas plus you get a bigger discount on the first night since it's the last night of the RO offer
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'd go with WL... As others have stated, weather could and probably be the deciding factor... We've been to WDW in December and January and the weather is not for swimming and Disney may say the pools are heated... Not heated enough for us....

We just returned from our first POFQ stay and it was great, and we're deluxe snobs... Way better that POR.... Very compact makes room choice a none issue, bus stops there first before POR... Food court has some great offerings....as for CSR, been there and will never go back... Too many reasons to mention....

We have done both BC and YC.... Both fine resorts but the pool is leveraged and too small for 2 resorts.. Always over crowded making it impossible to find 2 seats together... Seen too many chair hogs come down in the am and place towels to save for a later return....but eh.... Just not worth the effort and though being a walk away from EPCOT, we're more MK fans so we prefer WL and being on the lakes!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I am going to agree with the other posters and say not to base my decision on a pool. We go in December fairly frequently and not one time have we encountered weather appropriate for swimming. I know Disney says they heat the pools but not enough for me to get in during cool weather.

Personally, I like the moderates a lot and and will agree with the poster that suggested you consider CSR. Another option that might save you a little money is the Swan. It has queen size beds and is in the Epcot area. You can't use ME or get the dining plan but still have the same options for Epcot area resorts transportation and still entitled to EMH.

Happy planning!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree that WL is amazing at Christmas time and is a little more expensive than POFQ, but cheaper than YC. I also wouldn't choose strictly by the pool as the weather is very unpredictable and I wouldn't want to pay a premium price just for the pool and not be able to use it due to cold weather. With that said, my choice would be the YC if I had to choose between your two choices.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
ke3d98
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both POFQ and YC but my favorite of the two would have to be POFQ. It is quiet, the buses always seem quick, and it has a great disney feeling!

ke3d98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

I wouldn't factor the pool to heavily in the decision. It is Florida, but it is still December and many years too cold for swimming.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I would agree with the PPs concerning the pool. We were there in early December and it never got much above 40. I solve this issue by doing split stays. It allows you to still get the deluxe experience while lowering the total cost. Upcoming Sept trip is 2 nights POFQ, 3 nights YC.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I have to say YC b/c of SAB, location to Epcot, walking distance to boardwalk/bc, boat to hs ect.....

Have a great cruise and trip to the world!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: