Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

CSR is a beautiful resort and we have had GREAT bus experience there. 1000 x better than AKL. Request Casitas 4 (bus stop 2) and you will be 1st going and coming .

We also like the sliding-divider door to the restroom area.

Last stay we did have some cell-phone reception problems but our room was kinda behind a decorative brick wall.

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) AofA & POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Alabama Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

We've stayed there 4 times and have actually noticed convention-goers maybe twice. Once there was a big set-up on the beach in the Cabanas section for some kind of event, but not a big deal - we walked around it. Another time we saw some people in suits in the lobby. Other than that, we really never notice that there's a convention at the resort. We think it's a lovely, quiet respite from the parks. I think it has plenty of Disney theming - where else but Disney World can I be in Florida and feel like I'm in the American Southwest? The trademark Disney attention to detail shines through the entire resort. I think it's peaceful and tranquil.

We eat at Pepper Market maybe once per trip, and have found the food to be good. It's a great value if you're on the DDP.

We've been in Cabanas twice and Ranchos twice. Last time we were in Ranchos, I timed the walk from our room to El Centro and it took us almost exactly 10 minutes, with our youngest child walking. I personally think the size of the resort is over-stated.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

We've stayed at CSR four times, and while we have seen people with nametags and know that there were conventions during some of our stays, we have never found loud or rowdy people. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it has not been our experience. We travel with our kids, so we aren't hanging out at the bar late at night anyway.

Pros:

VERY comfortable queen beds - better than Poly, Beach Club, OKW or AKL (about the same as BWV)
Sliding wooden doors between the vanity and the room - allows me to get up, shower, dry my hair and get ready without waking the kids. Also allows for privacy when getting ready in general.
Great pool and slide - my kids like it better than any Disney pool except Beach Club
If you are on the DDP, the Pepper Market is a great value. Breakfast and lunch are buffets and dinner is a la carte, but they are all quick service credits.
Bus service has been excellent all of our trips.
If there is a convention, you can expect the pools and the buses to be much less crowded than the size of the resort would indicate.
Despite being a convention resort, we have found CSR as family-friendly as any other Disney resort - we always see tons of families and my kids always make friends at the pool.
Pool bar has yummy margaritas and serves food (but closes too early at 6 - so a little "con" there).
Rix nightclub if you are looking for some adult time.
Huge hot tub
Fitness center
Spa and salon
Upgraded toiletries compared to other mods - CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner like the deluxes instead of the combo like the other mods - a small thing, but I still appreciate it.

Cons:
If you are not on the DDP, Pepper Market is expensive for a food court.
Cafe Rix (the grab n go) gets very busy in the morning now that PM is a buffet at breakfast. There are two other counter service restaurants, but they aren't open for breakfast.
There is one convention in late February every year (Grainger) that pretty much takes over the resort. I'd book CSR during a convention any time, but not that one.
Some people find it a "con" that CSR only has one sink. We don't - CSR has great counter space, which is more important to us than an extra sink. There is plenty of room for two people to get ready at the same time and plenty of space to store stuff.

Enjoy making your decision!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Didn't have that family feel or the Disney magic for me. We prefer POR for moderate and we are trying AoA for 1 night pre-cruise in a month. I will say we had great service, it was beautiful, and the bus service was excellent. It just seemed a little too quiet for us and again, not as 'Disney' at POR. But overall, we had a wonderful stay!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Pros: -Gorgeous grounds, theming is beautiful.
-The pools are great.
-There's a 24 hour free fitness center!
-Run/walk trail around the lake
- Food at Pepper Market is (only) prepared as it is ordered, so is very fresh.
- Maya Grill surprised me with just how good it was

Note: I was there last year, before the buffet. And there was no convention going on.

Cons:
-Because Pepper Market food is prepared to order, it takes longer than most CS. CMs there bring your drinks and bus the tables, so that is a plus, but there is an automatic gratuity added--which I thought was a bit "much."
- The first time or two of ordering at PM it is very confusing
-It's a big resort. _I_ would pay for a preferred room. One clump of buildings is .48 mile from the food court, etc.

I liked it and would not hesitate to return again.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Last stay was April 2012.

Pepper Market food: While its a "good deal"- I thought the food was NASTY! Would NEVER eat there again- we tried several times since we had a 2 year old with us, and we started just eating at the park.

Quick Service food area where you fill up your sodas: what a joke! They got so backed up at noon that they actually had to stop taking orders and they had a VERY limited menu.

Clean rooms and nice pool, fun slide.

Be careful which building your room is in- ours was a full 13 minute walk to get to the main area with food/drinks. Which sucked when we wanted to fill our mugs late/early when the pool wasn't open because it basically took at least 30 min to get a soda. I would have rather not gotten the mug and just gotten it out of the soda machine.

I've stayed at all levels of resort, and I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather stay at Pop Century over Coronado Springs. Also, we had my 2 year old daughter and brought a bunch of her Disney toys along and Mousekeeping never once did anything cute for her. Not that they HAVE to, by any means, but I even left them fantastically decorated tip envelopes hoping to inspire them a little lol.

Never again. Big thumbs down for that resort.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Minnie View Post
CSR is a beautiful resort and we have had GREAT bus experience there. 1000 x better than AKL. Request Casitas 4 (bus stop 2) and you will be 1st going and coming .

We also like the sliding-divider door to the restroom area.

Last stay we did have some cell-phone reception problems but our room was kinda behind a decorative brick wall.
Beware! Not all rooms have the sliding dividing door!! That was the ENTIRE reason we picked that resort (so my daughter could sleep in her pack n play behind it and it would be quiet and dark)...well... our room didn't have that. So if anyone else is weird like me and you really need that sliding door, make sure to request a room that has one!!

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
bearloch
DIS Veteran

My hubby loved it I was happy there and it is very nice beds a good but again Disney theme was missing I Would stay again if queen beds are needed. Just wish there were more " disney" there!!

the lobby for us was toooo far to walk had to drive o bus!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
Beware! Not all rooms have the sliding dividing door!! That was the ENTIRE reason we picked that resort (so my daughter could sleep in her pack n play behind it and it would be quiet and dark)...well... our room didn't have that. So if anyone else is weird like me and you really need that sliding door, make sure to request a room that has one!!
Really? What section were you in? That would be very disappointing, the door was so much nicer than the curtain the value resorts have. Made my getting ready in the morning much easier on those trying to sleep in.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
FirstTripEver
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much!

You all are AWESOME! THANKS SO MUCH for all of the feedback! I really appreciate all of the details you shared!
FirstTripEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
StitchandPooh'sMom

Quote:
Were you in an accessible room? Those are the only ones I can think of that wouldn't have the sliding doors. There are only 99 accessible rooms out of 1917 rooms total, and they are all king rooms (out of 224 total king rooms), so that could be a possibility with a king room, but shouldn't happen in a room with two queens.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
StitchandPooh'sMom

Quote:
Be careful which building your room is in- ours was a full 13 minute walk to get to the main area with food/drinks. Which sucked when we wanted to fill our mugs late/early when the pool wasn't open because it basically took at least 30 min to get a soda. I would have rather not gotten the mug and just gotten it out of the soda machine.
CSR offers preferred rooms in casitas 1, 2 and 3 for people who want/need to be close to the main building. The preferred queen rooms are $25-30 per night more than a standard view. The preferred king rooms are only $10 more per night than a standard king room.

Also, park buses at CSR start at the casitas, then go to the ranchos, then the cabanas, then to the main building. You can get on any park bus and get off at the main building if you don't want to walk. The distance around the entire lake is less than a mile, and it is about a half mile from the farthest Ranchos room to the main building. You can also take a DTD bus from the main building to the rest of the resort - the DTD buses stop first at El Centro, then casitas, then ranchos, then cabanas. DTD buses are less frequent and don't run early, so you might have to walk back from the main building in the early morning, but it is beautiful and peaceful.

Finally, for anyone considering CSR, the front desk CMs have always been very accommodating. If you are unhappy with your location, they will do their best to move you to somewhere that will make you happier. That is of course not an option if the resort is full (Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July). You may have to wait for a room to be ready or even wait until the next day, but they will go out of their way to make you happy if you ask nicely and are flexible. Our favorite location is the cabanas, and we have successfully moved to the cabanas when our requests weren't met initially.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: