DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Points I can't use

So I have 10 pts I can't use before my year is up in Oct. I had to cancel a week a while back and I ended up with 10 points I couldn't bank (not sure why).. Any idea what I can do with them? I hate to just lose them. I'm happy to give them away if that's possible.. just not sure how to go about it..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
So I have 10 pts I can't use before my year is up in Oct. I had to cancel a week a while back and I ended up with 10 points I couldn't bank (not sure why).. Any idea what I can do with them? I hate to just lose them. I'm happy to give them away if that's possible.. just not sure how to go about it..
I'm not really sure about the policy on giving away points. I know any rental of points must go through the rental boards. I hope someone else can help you. Too bad I had to borrow ten points from next year for my upcoming trip (planning to bank all the rest for 2014) or I would take them off your hands . I'd be in the same boat as you as I can't return those ten borrowed points.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
dlhvac
THE BEAST

Donate them to give kids the world

dlhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

If the points are enough for a studio for a night, I would call Give The Kids the World and offer to book a room for a volunteer of their choosing for a night. That's what I did when I had some points left over.

This is not for a donation IRS credit. People here are always happy to jump in and give reasons why it's not an IRS deduction. I did it because I think that's a great organization, and they do have dedicated volunteers who are local, and we did receive a very nice thank you from the people we gifted.

Bobbi

PS. You are probably beyond the banking deadline, even if those are current year points. There is a "one time secret exception" if those were current year points and you missed the deadline. If they were banked or borrowed points they can't be banked, again, I have no idea if they make an exception to that rule, but I do not think they do.

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Besides the nondeductible donation, you might be able to rent them or even have a member use them linked with an existing reservation in return for a future use of a few points or a transfer. You might also investigate whether you can rearrange any existing reservations to get bankable points.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
GoofyLo
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhvac
Donate them to give kids the world
I just had to change a reservation from a studio to one bedroom. Long story short, I have 11 points in holding that must be used by Nov 30th. I'd love to donate them rather than see them expire. I've never heard of this. How would I donate?

Thanks!
GoofyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyLo View Post
I just had to change a reservation from a studio to one bedroom. Long story short, I have 11 points in holding that must be used by Nov 30th. I'd love to donate them rather than see them expire. I've never heard of this. How would I donate?

Thanks!
There is no mechanism to donate points themselves to GKTW, but you can make a reservation using your points and give the reservation to the organization to use (they would need to provide the name of the guest who would use the reservation). Usually, these rooms are offered to staff/volunteers of the organization and they are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Good for you, if you decide to make a donation.

Since the holding points don't expire until Nov 30th, renting the points (for one night in a studio) is still an option available to you.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
butsy113
AKV Owner

Love the idea of donation. I will definitely remember that for the future for those odd few points.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: