Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

I was told by Cast Members that they like the extra cash as it is what they use for their free time in ports to spend on themselves !
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit
I was told by Cast Members that they like the extra cash as it is what they use for their free time in ports to spend on themselves !
Oh good! Will bring lots of ones like last time.
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

And larger bills for bigger tips, of course.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
What about bartenders/servers who bring you drinks? I know a 15% gratuity is automatically added, but when do you add extra? On our last cruise, there were at least two separate occasions where they couldnt figure out how to make a drink I ordered (a sidecar, which I had actually first learned about in a martini tasting on the previous cruise!), and there was also a time at the sail away party when a server was gone an extremely long time and then LOST my KTTW card! I don't have a gripe w giving the pre included gratuity, but there are many times when giving extra doesn't seem necessary (the above circumstances, or just ordering a beer). Are there general guidelines? And if you tip extra, do the server and bartender split that?
Would you tip those people in a bar on land? Just because you are on the ship does not mean you should tip, and tip extra even, for sub-par service for some reason. And really, IMO 15% is usually fair for bar items. In a bar setting we tip about $1 a drink.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
thegales
Mouseketeer
Says he is happy tagless but the Tag Fairy ain't buying it!

There are two different tipping discussions here, as there is a difference between them.

For the four tipped positions that is now automatically added to your room, you could add cash or visit GS to add some more, if you are so inclined. I think this is where the receiver would prefer if it was not cash, as it is in their account right away, and they can do everything electronically. But the amount you tip goes only to the named person.

For the autogratuity added to bar bills, as others have said, this is split among the bar staff (not sure if the bar staff working that bar, or all bar staff). However, if you tip extra, it may not necessarily just go to the server. From one of our tastings, I asked about an extra tip and who it would go to. The response was it was split among all the staff working the class. I would have preferred to give the lead bartender more of the tip. While I did not tip the full amount I wanted to give, I did put some extra on that slip. Later, I went back to the bar and ordered another drink. Again I asked how it was to be split, and he said it would go just to him. So I did the rest of what I wanted to tip for the tasting on that drink.

An interesting question, if you tip extra on a drink at dinner, I wonder where that extra goes; to your assistant server, the serving team, the bartender, or all of the above?

aka lifeof in Chat

June 16, 2012 Eastern Cruise / December 18, 2010 11 Day Southern Caribbean / November 21, 2007 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / July 15, 2006 Western / November 23, 2005 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / October 9, 2004 Western Cruise / June 14, 2003 Eastern Cruise

thegales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegales
There are two different tipping discussions here, as there is a difference between them.

For the four tipped positions that is now automatically added to your room, you could add cash or visit GS to add some more, if you are so inclined. I think this is where the receiver would prefer if it was not cash, as it is in their account right away, and they can do everything electronically. But the amount you tip goes only to the named person.

For the autogratuity added to bar bills, as others have said, this is split among the bar staff (not sure if the bar staff working that bar, or all bar staff). However, if you tip extra, it may not necessarily just go to the server. From one of our tastings, I asked about an extra tip and who it would go to. The response was it was split among all the staff working the class. I would have preferred to give the lead bartender more of the tip. While I did not tip the full amount I wanted to give, I did put some extra on that slip. Later, I went back to the bar and ordered another drink. Again I asked how it was to be split, and he said it would go just to him. So I did the rest of what I wanted to tip for the tasting on that drink.

An interesting question, if you tip extra on a drink at dinner, I wonder where that extra goes; to your assistant server, the serving team, the bartender, or all of the above?
So I guess I don't see the point of tipping for drinks if a 15% gratuity is already added.

Do paid room service items also have this auto gratuity?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
Tinked
DIS Veteran

It has always been suggested on the DISboards to keep some ones in a drawer to tip for room service. You don't always see a bill that you can add onto from room service.

I also like to bring large chocolate bars to add to my tips for host, server, etc. in addition to extra money. It's amazing how peoples eyes light up when you give them chocolate. I also tip non-tipping positions this way as a thank you when I've gotten to know them.
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
soy1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinked View Post
It has always been suggested on the DISboards to keep some ones in a drawer to tip for room service. You don't always see a bill that you can add onto from room service.

I also like to bring large chocolate bars to add to my tips for host, server, etc. in addition to extra money. It's amazing how peoples eyes light up when you give them chocolate. I also tip non-tipping positions this way as a thank you when I've gotten to know them.
Sorry - new cruiser and leaving soon, so this has been bothering me ... I've heard mention before about "non-tipping positions", but don't recall who they were .. can you elaborate? Are there some employees who must refuse cash tips?

Thx.
soy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy1 View Post
Sorry - new cruiser and leaving soon, so this has been bothering me ... I've heard mention before about "non-tipping positions", but don't recall who they were .. can you elaborate? Are there some employees who must refuse cash tips?

Thx.
The non-tipped positions would be people like guest services, child care workers, the cruise staff. I know if some one from child care receives a tip they must turn it over and all the tips are pooled so they do things as a group.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
SoCalSweetie
Earning My Ears

tipping for 3 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
The non-tipped positions would be people like guest services, child care workers, the cruise staff. I know if some one from child care receives a tip they must turn it over and all the tips are pooled so they do things as a group.
Forgive my naiveté, but I am a first time Disney cruiser (only been in one Royal Caribbean cruise many years ago). I am traveling by myself with my 3-year-old son. We'll be joining a large family group. I called ahead to pay gratuities as suggested in my cruise docs and was told it was $84 a person. I've only paid for myself for now, but I am really struggling with the idea of shelling out another $84 for a 3 year old. I figure I'll add cash for him at the end of the cruise based on how it goes. What would be recommended? Maybe half that? It just seems so absurd to pay another $84 for him.
SoCalSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #26
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSweetie View Post
Forgive my naiveté, but I am a first time Disney cruiser (only been in one Royal Caribbean cruise many years ago). I am traveling by myself with my 3-year-old son. We'll be joining a large family group. I called ahead to pay gratuities as suggested in my cruise docs and was told it was $84 a person. I've only paid for myself for now, but I am really struggling with the idea of shelling out another $84 for a 3 year old. I figure I'll add cash for him at the end of the cruise based on how it goes. What would be recommended? Maybe half that? It just seems so absurd to pay another $84 for him.
I would tip $84 for your child, too. Cleaning up after kid messes can be more work for your room steward than cleaning up after another adult. I'm sure your dining room servers will also pay special attention to your child.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I would tip $84 for your child, too. Cleaning up after kid messes can be more work for your room steward than cleaning up after another adult. I'm sure your dining room servers will also pay special attention to your child.
This.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

So I guess I don't see the point of tipping for drinks if a 15% gratuity is already added.

Do paid room service items also have this auto gratuity?
Paid room service items don't have an auto gratuity.
As for bar items, I might tip extra if I was getting superb service but normally 15% auto gratuity is plenty for me.
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
itzkelly
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSweetie View Post
I'm travelling with my 3 kids, ages 7, 5, and 2 years old, and have already pre-paid the full recommended amount for ALL of us who are in our cabin (5 people, including DH). There is no way I will make a bigger mess than my kids, either in the cabin or at dinner, and therefore would never consider paying LESS gratuities for them. In our cabin, I know their beds will be made just like mine, their towels and toiletries replenished just like mine, and their "things" organized just like mine (actually more, I'd guess, since I'm not bringing a backpack of small toys). I would never insult the CM's by stiffing them on the tips of my children, especially since I know how much effort it is to clean up after them at home is!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptwolfman View Post
Paid room service items don't have an auto gratuity.
As for bar items, I might tip extra if I was getting superb service but normally 15% auto gratuity is plenty for me.
Paid room service items absolutely DO have the 15% gratuity added if they are "bar" items (which all that I know of are.) Bar items include boxed candy, sodas, specialty coffees, bottled water, etc. as well as alcoholic beverages.

All "bar items" have the 15% added, regardless of where they are ordered. The pooled 15% bar tips are divided among all the bar staff workers. Each time you sign a ticket, it is coded as to who served you; if you add any additional to the ticket, the additional amount goes to the person who actually served you. The "bar staff" workers who divide the 15% include the bar servers and the bar tenders.

Tipped positions on the ship are servers, assistant servers, head servers, concierge, stateroom hosts, and bar workers. All other positions are non-tipped. This includes youth activities counselors, cruise staff, theater performers, characters, tech workers, guest services, etc. These people have different rules as to what they need to do about cash tips, but they don't get to keep them. For youth activities counselors, tips are turned in and used for a department party. For DJs, theater techs, etc. the tips must be turned over to their manager and are donated to a charity.

As to tipping for children--absolutely yes, regardless of age. I can maybe see people who say a nursing infant doesn't use any dining services, but even there they do take a space at the table. And they certainly generate MORE work for the stateroom host. Little ones eating at the table generate a lot more mess and work for servers than most adults. Unless you have them removed from your account, the standard tips will be added for all persons regardless of age.

Whether CMs prefer cash or charged tips depends on the CM. They have an onboard banking system where they can easily convert money in their "account" into cash. I've talked to my favorite servers; they uniformly preferred charged tips. However, they were sending most of their money home. One commented that he gets plenty of cash for his limited needs. he also joked that there are 2 kinds of CM--the "young ones" who party and spend money while in port and the "old ones" (which included him) who sleep on their off time. His words, not mine.

Last edited by kcashner; 09-07-2012 at 09:28 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: